Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Engine

sparco_blues

Was on eBay and saw this engine going, seems in good condition, doesn't come with transmission, ecu or wiring loom. How hard would it be to get those parts, also the place was to drop it in the corolla, but since this is out of a MR2 Mk1 I wasnt too sure it would be ok to do a conversion on, however as i bid on it and won, ive now got it so might aswell see if i can get it fitted? help anyone?

You can see by the photos its in need of a good clean up, anyone now more about this type of engine too, it said 4AGE but that would make it a 20V and this one is a 16V so is this the 4AFE or another type of 4AGE :D

Engine2.jpg

Engine1.jpg

well that there my friend is just a standart 4AGE engine .. the 121/124 HP engine Ofc that depends on if its a 4 ribbon or 7 ribbon engine the 7 ribbon engine has 140 HP and is NON T-VIS if u have an 4AGE 20 valve engine it can only be a Blacktop or a silvertop ! and if thats the case then you would know it by now ..

Looking at the photos then im 99% sure its a standart 121/124 GTI 4AGE engine ..

Getting a wirering loom and a gearbox isent hard .. lots of them around at the scrapyards ! that engine is from the corolla GTI and Celica GTI and MR2 GTI..

*EDIT* you can check if its a 4 or 7 ribbon engine if u take your hand and feel right under the intake manifold/T-VIS on the engine Block itself .. there should be either 4 or 7 "ribbons" (Dont know the precise english word for it)

but i wouldnt bet on it being a 7 ribbon ! :)

4 = T-VIS and 121/124 (depends on generation)

7 = Non T-VIS and 140 HP

Hope this helps a bit

sorry a bit confused wots four and 7 ribbon ravsen??it looks like a 130 ish 16v 1.6 4age,should be a sound unit very good and releible

what gearbox can be used with it? does it have to be from the same type of engine or can u use the later 4AGE gearbox, just ive seen a couple but ones for a 4AGZE and the other is for the 20V version, same with ECU?

Im still finding :D out as i go along, and yes this was an impilse buy :D :D :D :D

one from a rolla GTi will fit but have heard that the 6 Speed g6 box will also fit (dont know whats involved though as ive never gone down that route).

plenty of rolla GTi's being broken ATM so Loom and ecu should be no Prob.

might be worth seeing if an AE-92 owner lives near you so you can compare what parts may need to be changed (coolent elbow on Cylinder head ETC)

does look like the T-VIS 4A-GE engine from the pic s though but still a fair starting point. how much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking?

yeah def looks like a t-vis unit, you can just about see the wee plaque with t-vis on it at the top of the second photo. ur missing the plastic cover for between the two camshafts aswell, will tidy it up a bit. and to second dawesy's enquiry , how much did you pay for it....?? (if you dont mind us asking)

£60 plus whatever it takes to get it down to portsmouth from Scotland.

I take it there's plenty of uprated parts available for this engine, things like exhaust manifold, Flywheels etc...

you can get exhaust manifolds but beware they can ruin the GE's on road performance. the engine will rev to about 8,000rpm IIRC. light weight flywheels are also availiable. look at fennies site under AW-11 (AE-92 section apears not to be there any more) to see whats availiable

4AGE ae111 dont think anyone has done one of them before  :thumbsup:

There has been some that has sucessfully transplanted a 4AGE into and AE111 . all u need to do is change the wiring loom and the engine brackets and gearbox brackets ! then it will fit ..

The ribbons i talk about is small stripes on the back of the engine ..

4AGE has never been made in a 130ish HP ..

121/124 and 140 and 165 and 185 that being

4 ribbon 7 ribbon Silverhead Blacktop

4AGZE with compressor that have 165 HP !

Ravsen means ribbed when he says ribbon. The later 16v 4A-GE and 4A-GZE came with 7 ribs across the engine's block for increased strength.

That engine that you have bought Sparco is a 16v 4A-GE engine from a mk1(AW11) Toyota MR2. That means that if it is a UK engine then it would have been quoted as making 115bhp standard when new from the factory. The engine is now likely to have covered 100.000 miles and be less than 115bhp!

For that reason I would suggest that it is pointless removing your standard AE111 engine (89bhp or 110bhp) as the power gain from this unit would be negligable! The amount of re-wiring and modifying that you would need to do to get this engine in your car would scare you!

I really can't understand buying a 1985-1988 engine to fit into your 1998 Corolla?!?

HTH

JB

BTW,

4A-GE engines sold to the UK market were:

AW11 MR2 + AE86 Corolla = 4A-GE 16v TVIS - 115bhp

Corolla GTi-16 1987-1989 = 4A-GE 16v TVIS - 115-123bhp

Corolla GTi-16 1989-1992 = 4A-GE 16v non-TVIS - 127-129bhp

The figures that Ravsen is quoting are the JDM figures in PS not BHP!!

1 PS = 0.97BHP (off the top of me head)

JB

There has been some that has sucessfully transplanted a 4AGE into and AE111 . all u need to do is change the wiring loom and the engine brackets and gearbox brackets ! then it will fit ..

:rolleyes::rolleyes: I know that hehe I have 4agze in my ae111 :lol::lol:

Jmbcar33 not spoken to you in ages hope all is good mate :thumbsup:

I really can't understand buying a 1985-1988 engine to fit into your 1998 Corolla?!?

3 reasons really

1. Ive taken the 4efe asfar as i can and need something more than a 1.3

2. It was a bargin

3. The engine has covered 75K and Its going to be stripped and cleaned back to new or as new as i can get it, then the parts uprated as much as possible, new gaskets, plugs, flywheel, manifold etc...

I would love a silvertop 4age or a 4agze but i dont have the money for that at the moment or the fitting cost, so its experiment time at the moment.

Hi Andy,

Hope all is well mate, I am glad you haven't sold the beast yet!

Can't remember if I told you, but I sold the 4A-GZE engine and all of the parts from my Rolla to a lad called Ian who lives just round the corner from me! Anyway, when he came to strip the engine and fit the new clutch and Jun SCM flywheel that we both bought, the engine was found to already have a TRD clutch kit with Jun SCM flywheel fitted!! I couldn't believe it when I saw the parts!

Sparco, take it from me that you WILL find that engine more difficult and expensive to transplant into your Corolla than a 4A-GE silver/black top.....

If you want to experiment with this engine then go for it, but this really isn't a sensible or economical engine transplant that you are trying to undertake! If you do attemp it, then you will find out what I mean!

Thanks

Jon

I'm currently doing a 7AGE build and trust me if I didn't have my brother (a Toyota parts man by trade), and the use of the collage workshop. An engine transplant, let alone a custom rebuild would be extremely difficult.

If you are going to do the engine swap, try and get at lest one person how has done this sort of thing before. Nothing worse than droping an eninge there very heavy. :bookworm:

Yes u are correct as i am from denmark .. but i must admitive never heard of the 115 or the 129 4A-GE engines ...

:D

well . i went from a 86 celica with the 124 "PS" 4age to my G6R 110 "PS" and i must say my celica would eat the G6R any day .. although i think the G6R are fast and all .. but the sheer kick from the 4A-GE at 4800 rpms and up to 8000 is staggering from such a small engine .. and i loved it !

for that single reason i can really understand why ppl would want to put the 4AGE in the AE111 ..

Especially with the 6 speed gearbox i think i could be alot of fun redlining it .. and the 6 speed must take around a half to 1 second of the 0-60 time ! :)

But ofc i had a choice and should go NA engines a blacktop would be but in mine .. otherwise a converted Silverhead with a big ***** turbo !

Some of my country men got a 4A-GZE running with 439 "PS" with only 1.6B they couldnt get more out it as the exhaust was to small (2½") but the turbo could go up to 2 Bars ... but still amazing to get 440 PS out of a 20 year old 1.6 liter engine .. and ofc the engine could take it ..

But this is by far a cheap conversion .. pricetag was around 75 000 DKKR (~7500£)

now that could be fun .. if only a G6 gearbox could that kindda torque .. (to bad it can't)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links