Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Do I Empty The Petrol Tank ? ? ?

exon16m

hope some one help:

Last night my mother filled the TS up with diesel. realsied her mistake so the engine has not been turned on...

can some one guide me through how to empty it ?

THANK YOU

look under the rear seats , there you may find the fuel sender unit , take this out and you can then syphon the fuel off.

Hello,

I know for a fact the old AE82 had a drain plug on the tank (lower rear) and the AE92 has the same (according to the piccy in the haynes manual), so worth having a look first before stripping out seats etc

HTH

Andy

Messy job btw

Its the new model corolla, unfortunatly.

My mother phoned a toyota dealer who advised her as it only 5l just fill therest with petrol and it should be ok... I was a little supprised and phoned another toyota dealer who said they would not advise this, and it would mean major engine repairs would be needed...

Its the new model corolla, unfortunatly.

My mother phoned a toyota dealer who advised her as it only 5l just fill therest with petrol and it should be ok... I was a little supprised and phoned another toyota dealer who said they would not advise this, and it would mean major engine repairs would be needed...

Exon,

I`d tend to agree with the second opinion. Having just 5 litres mean probably about 12%ish diesel/petrol mix if you filled the thing to the brim. The octane rating would be lowered significantly (it would pink like crazy), your oxy sensor and cat could get a whole load of burnt crud on them which aint so clever and you`d be belching out a LOT of white smoke for probably the next 200 miles. Surprised a Toy dealer recommends this as a solution!

Years ago I did similar to my own car (AE82) but managed to drain off all bar a cupful. Filled right up and it smoked and pinked a bit until the tank was almost dry. Then another fill up and all was well, no damage.

Surely there must be a drain plug somewhere but not familiar with your car....

Andy

exon16m do it like a man goto a goldfish shop ask for a pipe to drain water out gold fish tank,get a few buckets ready,take your pipe stick in your petol tank suck hard as you can till your mouth is full of diesel,quicky put the pipe in the bucket watch diesel running down in bucket ,get as much out as you can then fill it up with super unleaded,drive the car to burn off the diesel and then fill it up again with super unleaded do this a few time it 'll be sorted.

if your injector is full of diesel which it will be,cos your fuel pump would of pump a fair amount diesel into your injector,you need to be able to start th car somehow to be able to sort this out yourself.

if is only 5 liter of diesel she put in the tank then just drain it,if you spend a long time on it you be able to get most out of your tank ,your car should start but as above suggested it will pink badly untill is all burn off.

How was this possible?

The diesel nozzle is bigger than a petrol one and won’t fit in the filler hole (it is on my Yaris and other new petrol cars from what I’ve noticed). I could put petrol in a diesel but not the other way round.

Most cars nowadays have plastic fuel tanks and dont have drains on them so nobody can steal your fuel, the only proper way really it to remove the tank and empty it

i am little bit rusty last time i did that it was when i was 12 when we steal petrol from this TR7 for our moped. :D :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links