Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Acceleration Problem

MR2 Tee84R

Hi I have just bought a toyota MR2 T Bar (import), Automatic,

The problem i have is that the car needed a new gearbox, this was fitted yesterday but now when i accelerate in D the car does not seem to pick up speed quick enough, it just makes a lot of engine noise and does not go over 2000 rpm.

When the car is in reverse and 2 it is fine and goes over 2000 rpm.

Does this sound like the gearbox i have is faulty?

or is it another problem like ECU or something else.

How are you trying to drive it, just deck it ?

Does it go 1st - 2nd at all ?

might not be the gearbox, but the torque converter ?!

doubt itll be the ecu

How are you trying to drive it, just deck it ?

Does it go 1st - 2nd at all ?

It is an automatic so only D 2 L

and no i am not trying to deck it just driving normally

yeah, i mean if you are in 'D' and you press the acelerator does it go up the rev range, the go second, then up the rev range...you know, you can tell / see when it changes gear. or does it just get stuck in 1st and go all the way through the rev range in 1st.

if its not changing gear, but drives fine when you manually put it in gear (2nd / reverse) then it might be the torque converter (like the automatic version of a clutch !) thats playing up. nit the gaer box !? get me !

yeah, i mean if you are in 'D' and you press the acelerator does it go up the rev range, the go second, then up the rev range...you know, you can tell / see when it changes gear. or does it just get stuck in 1st and go all the way through the rev range in 1st.

if its not changing gear, but drives fine when you manually put it in gear (2nd / reverse) then it might be the torque converter (like the automatic version of a clutch !) thats playing up. nit the gaer box !? get me !

Right I see,

When I accelerate it just stays in first and goes up to 2000rpm and does not change gears, but it still picks up speed but very slowly

Does this mean it is likely to be the torque convertor

Thanks

If it was staying in 1st all the way round to the red line, then I would say its a problem with the torque converer / gearbox, its hard to say, the TC is like the clutch, so its hard to tell without driving it.

But that would effect it changing gear !

if it wont rev above 2k, and dont change then that may be another issue, engine wise, not gear box at all ?

will it rev above 2k in neutral (does the engine actualy manage to get it above that amount of revs ?!)

Anyone know what speed the auto normally changes up at? More than 2K I would have thought.

Doesn't sound right at all - 2K is hardly any revs at all, and can't equate to a very high top speed in second.

What do the people who fitted the gearbox have to say about all this then?

I have a feeling a similar problem was raised before in the dim and distant past. Have you tried doing a search?

im not being funny and i sympathsise (spelling) with your problem but why do you want an automatic mr2? just curious?

"will it rev above 2k in neutral (does the engine actualy manage to get it above that amount of revs ?!) "

Yes It does in neutral it can go up all the way to red line, its just in D mainly the car is struggling.

I tried searching but got nowhere thats why i posted the question

@m4rk scotland. Living in London some people appreciate the auto box especially when your stuck in traffic

I dont think we are hear to question the guys choice of an auto !

But Id get on the phone to the garage who fitted it sounds a bit dodgy to me !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links