Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Illegal Front Fog Light?

KevT3

Hi All,

I know it's a bit off topic... but I was driving my corolla with the front fog light on all the time at night, is that legal in the UK? I know that you can't switch on the rear fog light because it confuses with the break light.

I ask becasue I got asked by a policeman to turn off the front fog light once... :ffs: :censor: I wasn't sure at the time... but then I thought it's not illegal!!!! Am I right?

Kev

If it's foggy or there is very poor visibility..use them. Otherwise...turn them off! Yes it is an offence. There are a number of people that believe fog lamps (mostly front) are "cool" when turned on in normal driving conditions. Cool?....i'm not sure why, annoying?, deffo.

I "love" that stupit idiots with turned rear fog lamps when it's raining and all the tarmac is wet. . then the reflection of fog lights it is pretty unpleasant..

i use my fog lights sometimes. fog lights are not tht annoying. xeon light light are but a big differance on what the drive can see much better

I have known people to get £50 fines where I live if you have your fogs on for 'posing' purposes.

I must admit, it annoys me if someone driving behind me has there fogs on, the extra brightness can be distracting in the rear view mirror.

My current car doesn't have front fogs... so no chance of getting stopped! :D

I must admit though, car manufacturers can be too blame in their marketing, as in the latest ad for the Focus it refers to them as 'sporty' front fog lamps.... what is sporty about them exactly???

iirc the maximum fine for using your front fogs when not needed is £1000 but you're more likely to get a £60 fine.

For everyday driving they're totally pointless due to their limited range. Has anyone else noticed that the worst culprits for this are the drivers of French cars, particularly the Saxo/106/Clio brigade?

CobolMan

I thought it was only BMW drivers who were stupid enough to drive with front fogs on ???

It is an offence and very annoying for the car in front, amazing how bad it is when driving with the roof off and the muppet behind think s it looks good to use his fogs...

Name sort of suggests why they are there !!

I thought it was only BMW drivers who were stupid enough to drive with front fogs on ???

It is an offence and very annoying for the car in front, amazing how bad it is when driving with the roof off and the muppet behind think s it looks good to use his fogs...

Name sort of suggests why they are there !!

Is there any real law restricting it? I thought it's just a totally legal to use it in uk? although it could be annoying.

Also, I would argue that, people who get a car with fog lights because it looks better, I don't think people ever use it in the fog

Kev

The Highway Code says

94: You MUST NOT

* use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users

* use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users.

It references the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, #27, which says...

Front fog lamp ... [Manner of use prohibited] ...

(a)  Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

(b)  Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

©  Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

So it's definitely illegal. Did plod fine you, or did he let you off?

i dont even bother turning on the fog lights wen their is fog. i live in essex and all the boy racer chavs do it, so with that in mind, i dnt even bother switching on my fog lights wen their is fog.

sorry for the ppl from essex here, but im sure u lot understand

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links