Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Avensis - Noise & Handling Not Good

amok2

My previous car was a 1.6L 94reg carina, which I had (since 96) till recently, with which I had been very happy (for its price/target market etc). It had stable driving characteristics, and I could feel safe (in terms of handling and stability) in it at all speeds, and cornering etc.

I have recently bought a used 2.0L T3-X (04) avensis with 14k miles. One previous owner (name was registered to address 'c/o Toyota GB'-??) I assumed the successor to the carina would naturally be even better, but I have the following concerns about the new avensis (or certainly my car):

1. My old car would 'ignite' within one turn of the engine, but the new car seems to take longer to start-up after turning the ignition key. Is this a 'bad' sign in a newish car, in that it may herald some longterm problem.

2. It doesnt seem to be very torquey, and speed seems to build up only in a 'linear' fashion. It will reach good speeds.

3. When changing gears quickly, the revs seems to race up (unduly) during gear change, even when foot off accelerator.

4. At speed on motorway, there seems to be many noise issues:

5. When at higher speed, even in 5th gear, there seems to be a lot of engine noise (reminds me of an old banger). Its the kind of noise that drops away when you put the clutch in and let the revs drop while driving at speed). My point is that the noise seems excessive for a newish car.

6. Doesnt like certain road surfaces in that noise becomes a problem. Also booming in cabin when at speed (or is that engine noise).

7. Ride - very choppy/unstable, doesnt like any bumps or dips in road surface. Liked my old car better. Now can feel my chest rattling. Sinks into any holes in road, like a horse-cart. Is this just my experience or are all the new style avensis's like this.

8. Handling - because it doesnt tolerate bumps or dips in road, then feels unsafe driving at speed, as could behave unpredictably. Can seem to 'jump'. Also worry about turning steering wheel at speed - just not sure if it can cope, or maybe Im still getting to know the car.

9. I can still get wheel spin even with traction control on ?

These are the negative points, of course there lots of positives I havent mentioned (e.g good brakes, equipment, ?vsc, exterior build etc).

Any views on the above, and would a honda accord, or mazda6 be better overall.

you will find your car has been a hire car

i hope a good price was paid ie good discount

check you have a stamp for the 10k service and it was done on time ie within 750 miles

the noise is a problem tyre noise very bad different tyre pressures help with the noise and grip

did you do a long test drive

i always hire a car for a weekend before i buy

new door seals and some windscreens not sealed correctly check with toyota

i hope you can live with your new car

i do feel the honda accord is a better car

others do agree

build quality on uk cars is not good :!Removed!:

Thanks for your helpful information, silverarrow.

I paid a bit under £10k for it a month ago, with 14k miles (04 reg, but was first registered well into 2004). Got it from a big T dealer in the 'Dale of Roch'. Has had 10K service on time (Nottingham stamp in book). Did a short test drive.

Do you mean hire-rental or a hire-purchase car re likley past ownership.

I can live with it, but may change the car in a year. Its perhaps not as bad as I have made out.

Could the ride be improved with new shocks? - maybe I should ask dealer under warranty to check out the cars suspension. Is the ride a bit poor in all avensis's (I havent driven another one other than my own), or does mine seem unusual.

Thanks again.

Picked up my avensis few weeks ago that was a toyota gb car but was used by rent a car mine had done 9800 miles in 14 months. Has for driving the car in my opinion its one of the best handling cars on the road. I've driven most of toyotas cars from all different ages and find that the avensis inspires more conferdance if you take a bend too quick you know it will stick. I find the previous avensis was not great on country roads it felt unsettled and there was too much body roll. But we all want different things from a car, and all like different driving dynamics i'd rather trade handling for comfort but i think with the avensis the balance is just right. Tyre noise is a common problem tho even with the 16 inch wheels but on the whole i'm very happy with the car its a lot better than my old 1.4vvt-i corolla.

My T4 is very nippy and acceleration has never been a problem for me. The only comment I have is the ride is firm and tyre noise is excessive.

Changing a front light bulb. My son just paid a dealer £70 to change his 1.8 03 Avensis front headlight bulb?

The performance and acceleration of my '53 plate 2.0L petrol T-Spirit Avensis is, like all VVT-i engines, directly related to applying large doses of revs.

The best performance is obtained when the engine is up in the 3,000 rpm range and above, and there is very little torque low down, especially in 2nd gear.

This does result in a fair bit of engine noise when accelerating hard, although a decent performance can be ultimately acheived.

I think the Avensis really needs a Turbo engine like those fitted to the Vectra, Mondeo, Saab etc.

The road noise, especially on the 17inch low profile tyres, has been well documented. However, the ride is good, and with the fitted low profiles, the handling is exceptional.

Thanks to all posters. Hopefully this information will be helpful to others.

Have been driving a bit more freely to test the car. brakes seem to be very good in stopping quickly if required. VSC has never engaged yet (maybe just as well). Seems to handle ok generally, but doesnt cope with bumps or holes etc.

In all fairness, does get a good speeds if you drive with foot down, but you never get that exhilerating type of acceleration. Also its not a naturally freely revving engine, so you dont feel like driving that way as it feels that the engine wasnt designed for it.

By the way there seems to be some speed limiting 'bulkhead' on the right side of the accelerator pedal, that seems to get in the way of pushing the pedal down fully (or this a lean burn technology innovation). Maybe just my foot positioning?

How do other peoples new style avensiss' handle pot-holes and other such-like - my car 'doesnt' handle them.

By the way, when stationery and idle, can still hear the engine - slight ticking sound, and a little ruffish. Doesnt sound 'silky'. Maybe this is just the norm.

Hi amok

Having driven the 2.0l petrol and my D4D diesel I reckon the diesel is a better engine. The petrol was, for me quite sluggish, given the quoted BHP. The diesel although lower on power, had the torque which gave a more satisfying drive. Road nose as noted by 65special is down to tyre pressures and wheel size. Try raising tyre pressure to about 37psi to increase stability and cut down on noise.

The bulkhead thing I suffer with too, but I have large feet, and find twisting my right foot to the left slightly gives the last few mm's of throttle for that overtaking speed!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links