Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery In Key. How Do You Turn Off The Alarm If Battery Goes?

GrahamUK

Hi

As a newbie to Toyota ownership can anyone tell me how I would turn off the alarm if the Battery in the key was to go whilst I was out? I know I can open the door with the key manually but then the alarm would go off. Will it stop if I start the car? If not what do you do in this situation? Or is it advisable to have a spare Battery and screwdriver in the car?

I have a 2002 Avensis D4D GS

Thanks

Graham

Never had the problem as you describe but I visited a mate in Essex and his house is adjacent to a radio mast. I arrived and the car locked ok but would not unlock. My mate said the Battery in my key must be flat. He also said his Honda key also had a flat Battery. I did manage to get it to unlock eventually by holding the key very close to the engine compartment. I came home and everything was OK. So watch out if you park near a radio mast it mucks up your key signal. My mate has complained to the mast company who I think have lowered the mast signal.

What would I have done to disable the alarm if it had not been able to disable the alarm I do not know.

Never had the problem as you describe but I visited a mate in Essex and his house is adjacent to a radio mast. I arrived and the car locked ok but would not unlock. My mate said the battery in my key must be flat. He also said his Honda key also had a flat battery. I did manage to get it to unlock eventually by holding the key very close to the engine compartment. I came home and everything was OK. So watch out if you park near a radio mast it mucks up your key signal. My mate has complained to the mast company who I think have lowered the mast signal.

What would I have done to disable the alarm if it had not been able to disable the alarm I do not know.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't had a problem as yet but am just wondering what I should do when the Battery does go. I've only ever had old cars with standard keys before so hadn't considered the reliance on a Battery in the key. Surely these systems are not designed such that when the Battery goes you could be stranded with no way of driving the car until you get a new battery?

To put you at ease my wife owns an L registered Toyota Carina. The Battery in her key is original and never failed.

If you ever have to go up close to your car to activate the door locks and alarm you will know the Battery is going and you need to change it. If you activate from a reasonable distance the Battery is ok.

To put you at ease my wife owns an L registered Toyota Carina. The battery in her key is original and never failed.

If you ever have to go up close to your car to activate the door locks and alarm you will know the battery is going and you need to change it. If you activate from a reasonable distance the battery is ok.

I second this suggestion. I was worried about this happening when I bought my used Avensis and only had one key with it . When I shelled out for a second one ( second mortgage job :-( the main dealer told me that the Battery lasted for ages & it would be obvious when it needed changing ....... have to use nearer car etc. ) So far I'm still using original key & not sure how old the Battery is but still going strong after 2 years !

Just want to know now is it a simple job just to replace Battery when needed or is there a special regime etc.

so as not to affect alarm system etc. had to do it a certain way on my last car which had an after market alarm installed . Would be pleased to hear from anyone on this Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

This just happened to me, I was parked outside Sainsburys and when I tried to use the keyfob to open the car it did not work. I opened the car using the key and hey presto the alarm kicked off _ its :ffs: loud!!!

No one gave a damn tho - which just goes to show there is no real point having an alarm as no one would notify you.

Anyway, I could not do anything, I tried to start the car but it wouldnt also the car would not shut up. In the end I just closed the door and it shut up after a while, then called toyota who said it's the Battery I mentioned that the car was only just 3 years old...also I would have thought that by opening the door with the key would shut the alarm up...but no! So all they could suggest is to bring the car in and get the sensors checked under warrenty, I'll be there next week ....

Would be interesting to hear what your dealer finds out to solve the problem Nightstalker. Would you please let us know. I can understand how angry you were. I am in Toyota Club with RAC membership. I wonder how the RAC would deal with the situation you had.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links