Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Failed Mot, Help Needed Urgently Please

Richie (Paseo)

Just went and had my mot, 1st time ive been to this place, had been recomended to me by family, but as soon as i walked in, I knew it would fail, the guy testing it was in the biggest of moods! failed it on 10 things, mostly petty things:

1: Offside front wing mirror seriously damaged

Its got a little chip in the corner.

2: Offside front seatbelt Insecurely Fixed

Agreed, this is a little loose

3: Exhaust system noise is clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar vehicle fitted with a standard silencer

Well obviously.... It is a performance backbox, Can they fail you on noise when they dont even do a sound level test?

4: Exhaust system has a mounting that doesnt fully support the exhaust system

The exhaust system is held up quite nicely, does swing from side to side a little but nothing major, just not the prettiest of jobs

5: Nearside front headlamp aim too high

Agreed, but very easily adjusted (most places would do this for ya)

6: Offside Front headlamp aim too high

Agreed, As above

7: Nearside front tyre fouling a part of the vehicle

It was, but ive raised the suspension, so doesnt now, told him that but still failed me on it

8: Offside rear tyre fouling part of the vehicle

<the spuds of lurrrrvve>S! brand new tyre fitted this moring after I raised my suspension.

9: Nearside front coil spring mounting loose

Agree with, altho it past last year

10) Offside front coil spring mounting loose

Agree with as above

Is it just me or was he VERY picky? Now do I replace the mirror, fix the seatbelt mounting, adjust the headlamps and take it back for a free retest? Or do I take it to my normal mot station and pay for a full retest?

Is there even any noise level which the exhaust has to be under?

Rich

I agree, go elsewhere.

Although, from the sound of it, you agree with most of what was said, so it was never going to pass anyway. If you have a place that usually does your car then they may be more lenient as you are an existing and loyal customer.

Go elsewhere. Nothing will pass a moody MoT-man!

how loud is it? Is it enough to cause a disturbance at night?

how loud is it? Is it enough to cause a disturbance at night?

....maybe....lol. But only if I put my foot down, which I tend not to do in town at night, police quite often pull me over and have never said it was too loud though.

Everything is now sorted except for the exhaust and mounting, going to book it into another garage.

Thanks for your opinions guys :thumbsup:

Rich

most of that pretty reasonable, but I agree failing on noise level is petty and not adjusting your headlights is lazy but if thats not all its failing on then why bother. Its for your own safety, if it wasnt for mot's we wouldnt realise our suspension components are failing apart untill its too late. Sounds like he's fishing for work though. Hope you find a reasonable MOT guy to return to year after year, some one who ignores lack of cat convertors

• 1 month later...

im a tech my self and can verify that if too noisey it can fail a mot also the wing mirror problem did you have a ns mirror and rear view mirror all in use if so you is a total f##king idiot

im a tech my self and can verify that if too noisey it can fail a mot also the wing mirror problem did you have a ns mirror and rear view mirror all in use if so you is a total f##king idiot

Do you really think its appropriate to call him a 'total f##king idiot'?? Youre not going to get much help on here going on like that...

:censor: :ban:

For one - its an old post, & he was talking about 1 mirror - not the rear?!?!?!?!?

J

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links