Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Mp3 Rethink

binkie

I am a rank amateur. I have been following all the posts referring to MP3's and MP3 playback. I have not yet decided on a MP3 player but I have a load of MP3 music files on my PC waiting to download.

In my tiny mind I would have thought it might be a better idea to wait until a decent FM MP3 transmitter becomes available (there may be one available already).

This may get round the problem of dealing with the ‘Connects’ unit and avoid disturbing the Toyota HU (which I am loath to do). MP3's only have a limited frequency response. If the quality is up to FM radio standards that should be OK. You are not going to get ‘Royal Festival Hall’ reproduction in a vehicle.

However,..... if you have a radio with an AUX input...all well and good.

Cheers Binkie

The Connects 2 is not a disturbance to the toyota HU. It simple goes in the CD Changer Sockey and then you plug into the AUX sockets. If im right, the connect2 is the actualy item you have to use to get a non factory CD changer on the end anyway and using this for an AUX input is just an alternative! A FM radio transmittor has caused problems that it may be illegal! There is no definative answer on this really but it is not recommended. Wired FM transmittors are available and are a better idea as give better audio quality but are also an interface like the connect2 except this time they go in the aerial socket for the radio (meaning you need a splitter to switch between radio and MP3 playback! This is what makes the Connects2 Unit a good idea. Its really easy as its just plugging a plug in an empty socket and layin that cable in one of the cubby holes either side of the stereo. Plug in and jobs a good un!

Yeah what he said!!! If you need more help ask in whichever of the current running topics its must related to (or even this one!!!)

....... (meaning you need a splitter to switch between radio and MP3 playback!;.....

You lost me with that part... I have 2 FM Modulators on my standard head unit (1 wired and 1 infr-red (i think))i don't have any sp[litters.. all i do is turn on my mp3 changer/roof mount dvd player and tune the standard radio to the desired frequency to listen to it.. no poblems. If radio quality sound is good enough for binkie, then with the correct unit i see no need for a splitter.

I meant the wired ones surely need the splitter to fit two cable into one socket? As arent they wired into the aerial socket so you would need a splitter so you can have the standard aerial and your wired FM modulator going into the aerial socket? :wacko: Also wouldnt you need to sometimes change the frequency it sends it along on the wired one if you had no splitter (as if you go into an area that broadcasts on that signal your aerial would have two signals going in) You tell me cfc as you have one and i dont!!!

Ah!.. got you now.. but no, it doesn't.. the FM Modulator plugs into the ariel socket (as you said) but then,, the car's ariel plugs into a socket on the modulator.. sorted. Unwired ones just need to sit close the the head unit and the signal goes via infra-red.. or whatever you call it... as for the signal, most modulators have a switch with a choice of 3 wave lengths (my mp3 player is 88.3 and my dvd player (wireless) is 88.7... just tune the radio to the best signal and bobs your uncle. :thumbsup:

Radio quality sound... by no means perfect, but good enough for me (drowns out the kids' "are we there yet"

You tell me cfc as you have one and i dont!!!

:rolleyes: sorry if i offended you.. wasn't my intention.

Cheers for clearing that up :D Oops no i didnt mean that to sound like i was offended! :P dammit this forum talk is hard to portray emotions on :P I just meant im just guessing from what i would imagine it would do whereas you have one so this guy should listen to you not me i meant! I would imagine the sound quality is even better than most radio on a wired FM modulator aswell as you havent got any interference? (I mean like a radio signal passes throught the air and all that to your aerial) But yeah cheer for clearing all that up so this guy knows the ins and outs now!

For the best quality you want an ipod connected to a HU via a ipod connector. It also allows you to control the ipod from the headunit so it can be hidden and it is also charged so wont run out. (unfortunately ipod seems to be the only ones u can connect digitally as otherwise would have used my creative mp3 player which was annoying at the time!

This is what I have done and its really cool. As long as u have gd quality mp3's....alot of mine are cd rips at 320kbps, the rest arent as good and I can hear a difference but wit a nice install u wld hope too! It will send a digital signal to the HU so u get surround sound wen a song supports it. On the standard yaris hifi i gues 128 upwards is fine. Bt if u start off with a gd platform then its cheaper in the long run as u want need 2 change it down the line! :thumbsup: My friend has used the FM mp3 transmitter thing for the ipod, and the thing u put in the tape player, both sounded 'okay'. But she wants 2 do what i have done when she can afford too.

Plus its sooooo easy!

http://photobucket.com/albums/b89/GriffynF...-10-05_1411.jpg

I apologize for bad quality pic as i havnt taken any on a proper camera of install yet. I think it looks cool there but every1 has differing opinions! If u look closely at the bottom of the ipod u can see 2 wires and these go str8 down and go underneath the central plastic bit, lol, so basically all u see is those 2 wires and the rest are in the middle of the plastic bit to the HU. (so in otherwords the only wires u see arent noticable at all and about 10cm long max)

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links