Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Many Miles Do You Get Per Tank?

Adrian A

How long is a piece of string?

Old topic reborn

It's funny to see, how 32-35 mpg was average 15 years ago. Things really has changed a lot. 

4 minutes ago, nielshm said:

Old topic reborn

It's funny to see, how 32-35 mpg was average 15 years ago. Things really has changed a lot. 

Correct, but if we get non hybrid models the mpg will be very similar even these days. Back then were petrol corollas. , the hybrid system makes a huge difference. 👍

38 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Correct, but if we get non hybrid models the mpg will be very similar even these days. Back then were petrol corollas. , the hybrid system makes a huge difference. 👍

We need to see hybrids as a slow development over time. Like a Corolla evolution, pure petrols allmost gone, hybrids are here to stay, at least for the years to come. 

In a 15 year perspective, it does make sense to compare a non hybrid from 2006 to a modern 2021 model. 

On 5/21/2021 at 5:22 PM, Stivino said:

How long is a piece of string?

Twice as long as from an end to the middle☺

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PACorolla said:

Twice as long as from an end to the middle☺

Thanks, you have just confirmed my point.

i.e. If you ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer.

As a matter of interest, simple MPG is only part of the facts.  Another way of looking at it is MPG per Tonne.  50 years ago my Triumph 1300 would return around 32 mpg  and 40 years later my Mercedes E Class would do 28 mpg petrol and 40 mpg diesel.  My Corolla hybrid returns around 62 mpg.  If we factor in the weight of the cars, the Triumph was the lightest at about 945kg, then the Corolla at 1.295 and the Mercedes at 2.46.

The consumption per tonne is about 28 for the Triumph 1300, and 78 for the Corolla or approaching 3 times better.  However for all its weight the Mercedes factors are 69 for petrol and 98 for diesel.  In other words the diesel engine is far superior to a petrol hybrid in terms of shifting its greater mass.  In environmental terms however shifting that extra tonne is deadweight for the average motorist.

12 hours ago, nielshm said:

Old topic reborn

I bought my first car (a BL Mini) back in 1989. I've never owned a car that did less than 45 mpg in my hands and it became a personal benchmark when petrol started being sold in litres because it meant I expected to buy less than <miles driven>/10 litres. But yeah things have steadily improved 😉

Andrue, on my metric the Mini was returning just 29 mpg per tonne, a gnats whisker from my Triumph 1300.

The other changeover time is the BHP.  I remember my Ford Anglia 950cc was 39 bhp, my Triumph a big jump to 61 and my first SAAB 99 was 86.  The SAAB engine was the same size as the Corolla now but the latter with 120bhp.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Andrue, on my metric the Mini was returning just 29 mpg per tonne, a gnats whisker from my Triumph 1300.

The other changeover time is the BHP.  I remember my Ford Anglia 950cc was 39 bhp, my Triumph a big jump to 61 and my first SAAB 99 was 86.  The SAAB engine was the same size as the Corolla now but the latter with 120bhp.

Yes there's been a big improvement in 'BHP per CC'. I remember when the Rover 1.4 first came out, over 100 bhp when a contemporary 1.3l Metro was less than 70. Seems like there was a big change around the 1980s. But there seems to have been a gradual increase since then as well.

So many changes over the years, weight gain will be from extra safety features which will have impacted on performance so improvements in consumption are all the more remarkable. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links