Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.4 Vvti - Mpg

hexxen

I have owned my 2000 Toyota Corolla liftback for 2 years now and I am generally very with the car. One thing that does mystify me though is the MPG figures it achieves. When driving around town at low speeds I usually struggle to get above 30 / 32 MPG. However, driving long journeys I can average as much as 45 MPG. In fact I have just got back from Durham tonight (a round trip of 450 miles) and I averaged 44 MPG overall. (Which I am very impressed with)

I was just interested to know what other owners have been getting from there cars as there seems a lot of difference !

Incidently, I have also just completed a full oil change at the weekend, and funnily enough this seems to have improved the MPG of the car. (but this might be my imagination, time will tell on this.)

27-31mpg urban........41 on short motorways. Wouldn't harm anyone if you checked your tyre pressures too...:)

My 1.4 vvt-i corolla did around 30 stop start on a run 40-45. My Avensis is better on fuel than the corolla by some margin

• 1 month later...

I've got a '05 1.4 Colour Collection and get 37 - 38 on average (mainly down B roads during the week and round town at weekends).

Did a trip to Sussex in it last year and got well over 45mpg at 70(ish) on the motorway.

Wife has an '06 1.4 Colour Collection and she gets 41 - 43 on average (down pretty much the same roads) - mind you when I drive it she only gets 37 - 38.

CobolMan.

I've got a Colour Collection ( '55 plate ) which after about 2k is averaging 38 to 39 mpg in mixed conditions.

On a run it goes up to 44 to 45.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi newbie here.

I've just recently picked up a 52 plated 1.4 vvt-i T2. I've only put two tanks in.

From first tank - 320 miles / 33Litres

Second tank 430 miles / 44Litres

I think that works out at 43mpg and 45mpg?

Because it is a T2 no fuel sapping air-con, maybe thats the difference?

I'm also a bit if an easy driver, happily sit in 4th at 30 etc.

edit: my daily commute is 15 miles each way, along an A raod - mix of 30,40 and 60 limits. A few motorway trips too.

The trip computer says my average mpg is 44.8 by the way...

My 1.4 vvt-i corolla did around 30 stop start on a run 40-45. My Avensis is better on fuel than the corolla by some margin

I'm still waiting for my Avensis 1.8 T4, still on the dealers forcourt waiting plate transfer... grrr...

Anyway, I keep hearing about this 'legendary' fuel economy of the 1.8 Avensis, it's a bigger engine, it's a heaver and bigger car and the laws of physics would normally put the smaller engined and lighter car in front.

How much do you get from your Avensis by the way (so I can anticipate what I will get from mine :) )

Hey I can add to this now and make you all cry :P

I've been driving around hard-ish in my 2L diesel and getting around 49mpg :P

But driving more angel like and crusing on the motorway i'll be expecting the high 50's ;) !

I rarely go worse than 38mpg around town with my 1.4 Vvti liftback and on a long run on A roads I've had up to 49. Average is around 42. But that's because the mpg display encouraged me to change my style of driving - I got 29mpg out of it the week I bought it, but I now change up earlier and accelerate more gently. It's surprising what a difference it makes.

just had a t2 1.4 D4D averaging 40 mpg. it getting better all the time though as the engine beds in, only done 120 miles

I'm still waiting for my Avensis 1.8 T4, still on the dealers forcourt waiting plate transfer... grrr...

Anyway, I keep hearing about this 'legendary' fuel economy of the 1.8 Avensis, it's a bigger engine, it's a heaver and bigger car and the laws of physics would normally put the smaller engined and lighter car in front.

How much do you get from your Avensis by the way (so I can anticipate what I will get from mine :) )

Around 33-36 around town on a run to the coast a round trip of 256 miles got 47.7thats not taking the reading from the computer that was worked out. The trip computer recorded 49.1 mpg.

Around 33-36 around town on a run to the coast a round trip of 256 miles got 47.7thats not taking the reading from the computer that was worked out. The trip computer recorded 49.1 mpg.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links