Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Is Running Like A Dog

cynos_boy

Where to start...

Car is running like dog.Have checked the plugs, they are only a couple of months old.I noticed a bit of charring from cylinder 4 spark plug lead to connector of the coil pack ( no distributer). I gave that a clean up and hit it with some WD40 to give it a bit better contact.

When the car is driven it is very 'lumpy' at low revs, like it is missing. I can floor the throttle and nothing happens, then suddenly i get massive acceleration- fuel starvation?- I have to rev the thing like buggery to stop it from dying, but once in the higher revs -4-5k it runs better , but still feels as if something is holding it back.

I used fuel (Esso) from a petrol station I don't normally use and am wondering if I got a ' bad tank'...any ideas?

If i leave it idling it goes very low in the revs, the engine starts stalling-but doesn't cut out!

I was running with an induction kit , but reverted back to the stock set up earlier today as I thought the ECU might be over fuelling to compensate for the extra air intake.After checking the plugs-kinda sooty looking now-but dry, so am totally unsure.

Would a compression test be a good idea at this point?

Any suggestions would be helpful :thumbsup:

ive been suffering with all of the above problems you just listed for 6 months... even the complete lack of power, and then a sudden burst of acceleration.

i had been puzzle'd as to what it was untill the other day... i was checking my plugs and i noticed as i pulled number 3 ht lead off it was covered in soot along the shaft to the plug... so i got the socket on the plug and it was totally loose!!!! so i wound it back in and its been perfect since!!

i would say because of that it could be a drop in compression??

i know mine was a total dog to drive... and didnt sound healthy either. it didnt like starting, and would suddenly drop in tickover revs for no reason. even when giving it a bootfull it was so gutless, and just didnt want to pull thru the rev range.

i'd say get it compression tested mate. see what it comes up with.

hope that helps.

all the best.

Rich.

Get a cylinder leakage test done at the same time.

Compression Test confirms there is something wrong, but a cylinder leakage test (aka leakdown test) tells a lot more - helps tell you if its head gasket, inlet valve related, exhaust valve related or piston related.

I had a similar problem with my Glanza. It turned out that two wires I used for my lean/rich gauge were actually touching and shorting out my car.

fortunately there was no damage to the ecu or the car. After disconnecting them the car work fine...

with that said make sure ur electrical systems is not grounding or shorting out as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links