Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Ravd4d Report

diffman

At last finally took delivery of new RAV D4D 9 weeks after ordering. Car was here 5 weeks ago but no tow bar available for another 3 weeks then 2 fitting brackets which are handed came the same hand, another delay :censor:The car is great with a lot more power and very smooth. All the old faults with RAV D4D have been fixed

1 You can now change into 2nd gear at low speed & revs. and take away again without that awful stallout. :censor:

2 The engine now starts hot or cold instantly without having to wind it up. :D

3 The tow bar now sits at 19" instead of 16" & is removeable as standard. Jockey wheel now well clear of the ground :thumbsup:

4 You can now change smoothly from 6th to 5th gear at 60 m.p.h pulling a caravan uphill without revving and if needed change from 5th to 4th smoothly again. Try pulling a caravan up a hill with old Rav D4D at 60 M.P.H & change from 5th to 4th and you will see what I mean, you have to rev like mad & you will be down to under 54 M.P.H by the time you get it into gear with every lorry in the place overtaking you.

The gearbox ratios are much closer together slightly higher

---- New Rav D4D----------------------------------- Old Rav D4D---------

at 40 MPH in 4th 1700 RPM -------------------at 40 MPH in 4th 2000 RPM

at 40 MPH in 5th 1300 RPM -------------------at 40 mph in 5th 1500 RPM

at 50 MPH in 6th 1500 RPM

at 50 MPH in 5th 1700 RPM

at 60 MPH in 6th 1700 RPM

at 60 MPH in 5th 2000 RPM

at 70 MPH in 6th 2000 RPM

The new car is also much bigger all round. The wheel base is 3 1/2" longer & 3" wider The body is 6" longer, 4" wider, 1" taller & glass to glass 3 1/2" wider inside. Also the turbo looks different & the Battery is now at the front nearside of the engine compartment. Fuel consumption on 40 mile run was 46 mpg on the trip

One small problem - the aerial is now fixed more upright & a 7' up & over garage door now catches it . Had to change the long aerial to a small alloy one, and it looks good.

At the moment you can only get the towbar from Toyota itself and a double electric costs around £600 fitted and this will be the case for a while to come apparently.

I hope this gives anyone thinking about the new Rav D4D 140 2.2 an idea what to expect

The new car is also much bigger all round. The wheel base is 3 1/2" longer & 3" wider The body is 6" longer, 4" wider, 1" taller & glass to glass 3 1/2" wider inside. Also the turbo looks different & the battery is now at the front nearside of the engine compartment. Fuel consumption on 40 mile run was 46 mpg on the trip

Wow! This is much better than I'm seeing on my T180. I've only got 500 miles on the clock, which might explain it, but it's getting about 34-35mpg (according to the computer). I do drive quite quickly, but am certainly not thrashing it.

At the moment you can only get the towbar from Toyota itself and a double electric costs around £600 fitted and this will be the case for a while to come apparently.

I have no problem with this. Aftermarket towbars, while being much cheaper, are generally not as nice to look at. In fact some of them (*cough* Witter *cough*) are downright ugly and look like you've fastened half a ton of pig-iron onto your bumper.

Glad you like the car. I am really happy with my T180 and if it gets towards 40mpg, I'll be happy with the economy.

Daern

it really depends on how and where you are driving it.

I am getting 35mpg with my T140 (300miles), and I am very happy with it, since I drive mostly around town (90%) and I am not really used to diesels yet - I usually keep it in 2nd or 3rd gear.

I would expect 45-50mpg when worked in at, the highway.

I think for T180 average of 35mpg is pretty ok, especially if you do some in-town driving, afterall 40hp more is 40hp more.

New Rav4 is really an amazing car, isnt it?

p.s. just got over 60mpg on open road, 50mph.... good enough for me...

I am getting 35mpg with my T140 (300miles), and I am very happy with it, since I drive mostly around town (90%) and I am not really used to diesels yet - I usually keep it in 2nd or 3rd gear.

I think for T180 average of 35mpg is pretty ok, especially if you do some in-town driving, afterall 40hp more is 40hp more.

do we know if the new rav has a dual flywheel?

Very soon you chaps are going to say that the RAV4 d4d makes diesel instead of burning it.

My previous car, VW Bora TDi (115PS-PD) did me 35+ mpg local town driving. Motorways gave me almost 60MPG.

Now that was then...

my current vehicle... Rav4 VX (2001) 2.0 petrol... well... to be quite honest, I don't want to say anything... it will only make me feel a little down...

but hey... look on the brite-side... it's a cool machine, drives well, is fairly comfy and if looks could kill...

speed, well that's a new topic altogether.....

I don't think I can keep the foot off the accelerator pedal, or maybe I have a heavy foot... not quite sure... but what I do know is that I just aint up for anything under 80, I might just fall asleep.

maximum, well......

let's just say, 'limit' is a word that has no practical definition.

Speed, thank God for the accelerator !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links