Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003-2005 Prius Recall

diverdave

Has anyone else heard of the Prius recall originating in Australia? apparently they are recalling almost a million cars worldwide for a possible steering failure problem, :crybaby: I heard this from the Yahoo uk prius group and it concerns cars from early 2003 till Nov 2005 (NHW 20 models)

I read about it also. My 04 Prius was made in late 03 so I guess I'm down for this one :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard any more about this supposed recall ? :unsure:

try this one:

http://dogandlemon.com/site/japanese-vehic...amp;model=PRIUS

Date issued: 30/05/2006

Number of affected vehicles: 565756

Production period: 16/09/2002 - 22/11/2005

Faulty component: steering unit (intermediate shaft)

Which company reported this fault? TOYOTA

Description: For vehicles with electric power steering, the intermediate shaft, which connects the steering wheel and the gearbox, and the sliding yoke do not have sufficient strength. Therefore, when excessive stress is repeatedly applied to these parts, such as when the steering wheel is turned to the maximum position with strong force during low-speed traveling, or the wheel comes into contact with the curb, the joint may loosen or develop a crack. If this problem is left unattended, in the worst case, the joint could come off or break, which would make steering impossible.

How to fix the problem:

The intermediate shaft and the sliding yoke should be replaced with the factory approved replacement units. Also, the bolt for the intermediate extension shaft should be tightened to the specified torque.

How can you tell if the problem has already been checked and/or fixed on your vehicle?

yellow paint on the top part of the body panel (on the front of the suspension fixture) that is located at the left hand side of the engine compartment, and for ISIS, yellow paint on the top part of the body panel (on the front of the suspension fixture) that is located at the right hand side of the engine compartment

Affected vehicle details:

TOYOTA WISH

Type Frame/Chassis Production Period Affected Number

UA-ZNE10G, CBA-ZNE10G, DBA-ZNE10G ZNE10-0001028..ZNE10-0279365 08/01/2003..16/11/2005 276788

UA-ANE10G, CBA-ANE10G, DBA-ANE10G ANE10-0001003..ANE10-0024562 17/04/2003..15/11/2005 23526

TOYOTA ISIS

CBA-ZNM10G ZNM10-0001013..ZNM10-0027378 20/09/2004..11/11/2005 13903

CBA-ZNM10W ZNM10-0001004..ZNM10-0027377 13/09/2004..09/11/2005 12411

CBA-ANM10G, DBA-ANM10G ANM10-0001016..ANM10-0045108 20/09/2004..09/11/2005 17054

TOYOTA PRIUS

ZA-NHW20, DAA-NHW20 NHW20-0001043..NHW20-0133242 01/08/2003..13/10/2004 64436

ZA-NHW20, DAA-NHW20 NHW20-3000002..NHW20-3130009 30/09/2004..08/11/2005 31254

ZA-NHW20, DAA-NHW20 NHW20-7000000..NHW20-7058792 06/10/2004..07/11/2005 17545

TOYOTA COROLLA, COROLLA RUNX, ALLEX

UA-ZZE122, CBA-ZZE122 ZZE122-0099329..ZZE122-0215318 16/09/2002..24/06/2005 6069

UA-ZZE122, CBA-ZZE122 ZZE122-2005730..ZZE122-2036696 23/09/2002..24/06/2005 5295

UA-ZZE122, CBA-ZZE122 ZZE122-3049296..ZZE122-3140399 20/09/2002..24/06/2005 11040

TOYOTA COROLLA FIELDER

UA-ZZE122G, CBA-ZZE122G ZZE122-0099176..ZZE122-0215388 20/09/2002..24/06/2005 27862

TOYOTA COROLLA SPACIO

UA-NZE121N, CBA-NZE121N NZE121-3191339..NZE121-3318972 21/04/2003..24/06/2005 35470

TOYOTA RACTIS

DBA-SCP100 SCP100-0001008..SCP100-0009203 14/09/2005..21/11/2005 8180

DBA-NCP100 NCP100-0001017..NCP100-0013046 14/09/2005..22/11/2005 12000

CBA-NCP105 NCP105-0001009..NCP105-0003941

i am going to see my local Toyota dealer tomorrow and will show them a copy of this. See what their comments are. But i do not have much hope.

Rickers

• 2 months later...

Local Toy-ota dealer stayed stum, so have send an email to Vosa, will have to wait to see what they come back with.

rickers

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the steering recall notice today(14/9/06).

Rang my local garage and earliest they could do it was 6/10/06.....

Good job it`s nothing important like the steering! :wacko:

Fingers crossed until then I guess. :help:

Just got the steering recall notice today(14/9/06).

Rang my local garage and earliest they could do it was 6/10/06.....

Good job it`s nothing important like the steering! :wacko:

Fingers crossed until then I guess. :help:

Got my recall today. Yippee another bottle of cheap champagne!

Yep, got my recall letter today too. Will be calling my local dealers (Platinum Toyota in Bath) tomorrow...

Ditto.

Should we expect compensation for time and effort in getting the motor fixed?

Took mine in today for the steering recall expecting it to be fixed, but when i got there they advised that this was just for a check of the steering.

They have to :-

1. Check If the steering components are of the type affected.

2. Identify which if any components need replacment

3. Order the appropriate parts.

Now I have to take it back next week to have the new parts fitted!

As they haven't yet done any of these they can't say how long it will take and have asked me to leave the car for the full day.

Hi Prius owners

We (technicians) are beginning to see several cars in the workshop for steering shaft replacement. The work procedure is thus: -

We have to check the lower steering shaft- that is the short shaft that is connected to the rack, to make sue it is fully engaged on it's spline. If it isn't fully engaged then we have to replace it. A bit extreme in my opinion, but I'm only a technician.

Second stage is to check the first U/J to see what type it is. Some U/J's have a slot from the coupling end all the way to the yoke end- this is the type that have to be changed. The replacement U/J has a slot cut about half way along its length which terminates in a small diameter drilling. The reason for the slot in both U/J's is to allow the clamp bolt to compress the spline tightly on the mating shaft. The one which is slotted all the way to the yoke is slightly weaker than the replacement one with the drilling. I've seen thousands of steering U/J's as an MOT tester and this practice is quite common among the various manufacturers. My guess is that Toyota is replacing all the shafts rather than risk a single court case, which could be very damaging. In the days of hydraulicly powered steering assistance this steering shaft would be very lightly loaded as it only carried the instructions to a powerful pump and ram system to do all the work. Now with the electrical power assistance, the steering shaft carries the full load of the steering effort. The electric motor that gives the assistance lives just behind the dash.

Having seen plenty of steering systems, some a lot lighter than these in question, I think you have nothing to worry about, just the inconvenience of the garage visit. I hope that this will calm any fears you have about turning the steering wheel and going straight on.

Cheers Ray

I had the steering fixed yesterday and I feel like I am driving a new car. The steering feels tight and precise again.

I had also been troubled by an intermittent knocking from the steering usually when turning a corner a low speeds. I have reported this at the last two services, but they have been unable to identify the cause. However it now seems to have gone so presumably it was related to the steering problem.

Hi All,

Well I took my Prius in for the steering recall this morning to WKB Waterlooville in Hampshire, I mentioned that I heard that some form of compensation might be due, the man on the desk said yes I will get something.

When I went to pick up the car........NOTHING, :crybaby: No bubbly ..no petrol.....no valet, just an old spanner left in the drivers footwell and the seat left pushed right back, I am fed up with this dealership I will have to try and find another in the area, also I am going to email Toyota to ask why some dealerships give these goodies and some don't ! :ffs: It doesn't do Toyota's otherwise good name any favours.

Rgards,

Dave.

Hi All,

Well I took my Prius in for the steering recall this morning to WKB Waterlooville in Hampshire, I mentioned that I heard that some form of compensation might be due, the man on the desk said yes I will get something.

When I went to pick up the car........NOTHING, :crybaby: No bubbly ..no petrol.....no valet, just an old spanner left in the drivers footwell and the seat left pushed right back, I am fed up with this dealership I will have to try and find another in the area, also I am going to email Toyota to ask why some dealerships give these goodies and some don't ! :ffs: It doesn't do Toyota's otherwise good name any favours.

Rgards,

Dave.

With regards to this, could anyone please tell me how I can contact Toyota GB, I can only find on thier website a page to make comments about said website, but nothing on how to contact them directly.What happened to decent customer service ? :ffs:

Hi Dave

No bubbly this time, I'm afraid. You should have had £10 petrol, a wash and vacuum. The seat pushed right back issue will remain with us forever. The space is required in the footwell to do the job on the lower steering column. The spanner left on the seat is a bonus, not everybody gets this. There is a customer relations telephone number and they have teeth. When CR get involved the garages start quaking, it really hits them in the CES (Customer Expectation Survey) scores. The CR number has been posted here (on this forum) several times, so a search for it should throw it up. Don't be trodden on, kick up and get what's yours. It's the only way that service will improve.

Cheers Ray

I got my bottle of bubbly. (I could become an alcaholic on the number of recalls this car is getting) This is a gift from Toyota, not the dealer, so you should get one. I also got a voucher for £10 petrol and a full valet.

I got my bottle of bubbly. (I could become an alcaholic on the number of recalls this car is getting) This is a gift from Toyota, not the dealer, so you should get one. I also got a voucher for £10 petrol and a full valet.

Mine's tomorrow. So I should ask for the bottle of bubbly and £10 fuel vouchar?

Hi all,

After complaining via email about my lack of bubbly and petrol for my Prius recall it seems that they have suddenly come up with the goods ! :lol: As I said in a previous post I took the car in last Friday and returned to the car to find nothing, so when I got home I sent the email and on Monday they phoned me up and said that there had been a misunderstanding at the dealership, the technicians thought that reception would give it to me and vice-versa.So they said to go in at my convenience and they would fill the tank no matter how empty it was and give me the bubbly, no mention of the valet but I am not too bothered about that.

If it were not for groups like this I would not even have been aware of the gifts so would not have got it at all, thanks again to all that have pointed this out. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave.

That's a good result in the end Dave.

Like Ray said, don't let them get away with 'short changing' and things will improve to the benefit of everyone.

Like Ray said, don't let them get away with 'short changing' and things will improve to the benefit of everyone.

I got the bottle of Champagne and hoovered car. But no fuel vouchar. Is the fuel vouchar something that Toyota hands out or just the dealer? Should I chase em up for the tenner?

I got the bottle of Champagne and hoovered car. But no fuel vouchar. Is the fuel vouchar something that Toyota hands out or just the dealer? Should I chase em up for the tenner?

You should get the fuel voucher as well, or they keep it ti fill up thier own cars !

Dave. :ffs:

The dealer said they don't hand out fuel vouchars but they were supposed to have filled up the tank which they didn't do. So I have to drive over to them and get them to fill it up. It's an inconvenience to have to do this. Grrrrr :ffs:

They also mentioned the cost of the bubbly is about a tenner :D

I took my Prius in on Tuesday 3rd morning to WKB Waterloovile for the steering recall...... I then had to take it in again this morning to have the steering wheel realigned (it was steering to the left when the wheel was held straight)..... it is now going in AGAIN on Monday because it is still wrong!!

The manager this morning said they will have to send it to Denmead Tyres for a wheel alignment where they'll adjust the 'camber caster and toe' ---- is this the correct way to fix the issue? surely, as the problem wasn't there before they changed shaft 2 it is all linked to the splines on the shaft being incorrectly lined up -- is realingning the wheels just a way of masking the problem of my steering wheel being offset? will realigning my wheels affect anything else - turning circle etc?

Is it true that the shaft has splines - corse one end, fine the other? I asked the Manager how they made sure alignment issued didn't arise, he said they mark the shaft with tippex before doing the change..... surely the new part has no tippex on it! and I read in the TSB pdf from America "Matchmark usage is not necessary".

Has anyone else had this and do you all feel that realigning my wheels (not the steering wheel) is the correct fix??

I've talked to Toyota Customer Relations and they're looking into it.

Many Thanks,

Richard

ps. spelling 'c o !Removed!' correctly, when previewed became cubnik ??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links