Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Insurance Advice

GIDDLEPIN

Anne and I are looking at getting another car the only thing is Anne has never had her own insurance so doesn't have any no claims.

The question is, what is the best way to go about it regarding insuring two cars? (not looking at cheap or hooky ;) )

Do we get a specific policy for two cars?

Do I take out two separate insurances naming Anne as the second driver ?(is this legal?)

Cheers

Les

If its Annes car and you're insuring her as second driver, thats illegal, its called "Fronting" I believe

Some insurers do do reduced policies for 2nd cars, I think More Than does for example.... but beings as it'll be Annes first policy on her own and she has the driving experience, I dont think it'll be incredibly expensive for her to do it alone...

You could always call your insurer Les and see if they will also insure Anne with her car....

If its Annes car and you're insuring her as second driver, thats illegal, its called "Fronting" I believe

Some insurers do do reduced policies for 2nd cars, I think More Than does for example.... but beings as it'll be Annes first policy on her own and she has the driving experience, I dont think it'll be incredibly expensive for her to do it alone...

You could always call your insurer Les and see if they will also insure Anne with her car....

The car will be bought by me and in my name if that makes any difference :huh:

Bite the bullet... We've all been there, build up her no claims in her own name, it's not as though she's a teenage wannabe in a Max Power hot hatch!.......................

Or is she? :lol:

Not really because she'll still be the main driver wont she....

Yep, see your point :thumbsup:

Bite the bullet... We've all been there, build up her no claims in her own name, it's not as though she's a teenage wannabe in a Max Power hot hatch!.......................

Or is she? :lol:

I wish ;)

Have you tried doing any quotes for her? They may be cheaper than you think, my Dads was for his Land Rover - he hadnt owned his own car for 10 years and had no no claims, his was cheaper than he thought it would be! :yes:

My wife got her first ever policy with full no claims. This was because she'd been insured as second driver on my policy for many years and I went to my existing insurance company and asked nicely!

Make sure you tell them how many years she has been driving, how long she's been on someone's policy as a second driver and her annual mileage last year. Obviously they want to compare the risk, so if you've had the use of another vehicle eg for work, or if she's going to drive a similar mileage to previous years then the risk is similar.

Failing that, you may get a better total price by shopping for both policies together.

My wife got her first ever policy with full no claims. This was because she'd been insured as second driver on my policy for many years and I went to my existing insurance company and asked nicely!

Make sure you tell them how many years she has been driving, how long she's been on someone's policy as a second driver and her annual mileage last year. Obviously they want to compare the risk, so if you've had the use of another vehicle eg for work, or if she's going to drive a similar mileage to previous years then the risk is similar.

Failing that, you may get a better total price by shopping for both policies together.

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow :thumbsup:

actually Em - nowadays you can have a name driver as the 'main' driver...

so - Les could take a second policy with a 'linked' NCB (would have to be with the same insurer) with him as the owner, and Anne as a named, but main, driver.

Although, in all honesty, women do get cheaper insurance - it would be worth looking at how much Anne's would cost on her own, and then you'd be free to shop around for quotes...

actually Em - nowadays you can have a name driver as the 'main' driver...

so - Les could take a second policy with a 'linked' NCB (would have to be with the same insurer) with him as the owner, and Anne as a named, but main, driver.

Although, in all honesty, women do get cheaper insurance - it would be worth looking at how much Anne's would cost on her own, and then you'd be free to shop around for quotes...

Just tried the linked policy with MoreThan (not my insurers) and got a figure of £233 for Anne as main, me as named, on a 2003 Gen7 Celica and £226 for me as main, Anne as named on, La Slapa. :thumbsup:

A quote for Anne with a new policy, £478 + mine on top :eek:

Will try my insurance company tomorrow ;)

Les, I haven't read all this but maybe already said.

My wife was in same position. I bought her a car and it is in her name my brokers gave her 5 years ncb which is what I had at the time and a 2nd car discount. We have 2 policies with both of us on them her as main driver on her car and me as main driver on my car. Both very reasonable prices aswell.

I can't recommend Lifesure Brokers enough they have been great for me and I have tried loads in the past. As I said they gave her 5 years ncb without effecting mine and they are both protected at a very minimal cost.

This was when we had the Estima MPV import and most insurance companies wanted silly money.

Give them a try 01480 474604. They will tell you the best way to do it. They are brokers and use all the mainstream companies but get better deals than direct ( I checked) :thumbsup:

B)-->

QUOTE(Gareth B @ Jun 4 2006, 07:23 PM)

Les, I haven't read all this but maybe already said.

My wife was in same position. I bought her a car and it is in her name my brokers gave her 5 years ncb which is what I had at the time and a 2nd car discount. We have 2 policies with both of us on them her as main driver on her car and me as main driver on my car. Both very reasonable prices aswell.

I can't recommend Lifesure Brokers enough they have been great for me and I have tried loads in the past. As I said they gave her 5 years ncb without effecting mine and they are both protected at a very minimal cost.

This was when we had the Estima MPV import and most insurance companies wanted silly money.

Give them a try 01480 474604. They will tell you the best way to do it. They are brokers and use all the mainstream companies but get better deals than direct ( I checked) :thumbsup:

Thanks Gareth I'll give that a go :thumbsup:

How about taking her off La Slapa's insurance & have you insured on your 2 cars with Anne on the new car as an additional driver? That should be cheaper & I've been assured this is legal by a police officer.

Although tbh, I'd be tempted to just build up the no claims with her being female & the right side of 25, it should drop pretty quickly.

Don't forget that lots of insurers will give you an introductory discount if there are no drivers under 25 in the household and the missus hasn't had any accidents recently. When I joined the last insurance I got an introductory 3 years no claims because of that fact.

My mum gained full no claims when she took out a policy in her name after driving under my dads for god knows how many years, was extremely unfair lol!! I think that was through tescos.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links