Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boys Need Your Advice.

Calisto

KITT's heater matrix is broken, :crybaby: Thank god its summer eh ? lmao. water is leaking into passenger footwell.

Its like having my own mini swimming pool in the car :help:

Please tell me all I need to know about Matrix's are they easy to fix, expensive to buy...what the hell is it used for ??????????????? :D

TIA

Ash.x :thumbsup:

its a small radiator ,behind which a fan blows the heat from it to warm you up . a quick fix is to join the 2 rubber hoses entering the car under the bonnet together using 2 jubilee clips and a length of copper pipe . it will leak inside the car until you either join the pipes or renew the matrix, afaik the celica one is a full out dash board job. costs from mr t would be around 150 quidish as a rough guess.

if you do join the pipes you wont get any in car heat , but it will stay dry and not smelly.

It's a radiator the size of a small lunchbox.

Used to get rid of some of the engines heat and warm the interior of the car.

Mine broke in the MR2. You'll probably need to remove the dash, the aircon, the entire front interior, etc etc. It was a 6 hour job for Al, Ed and I to strip the MR2 and about an 8 hour job for me to put it back (as I did it slow to not loose anything).

Such horror stories.... :crybaby: Remove lower dash panels. Remove instrument panel. remove dash board braces & heating ducts.You can get to the bolts of these from under the dash but you have to be a little bit flexible. (Upside down is good :lol: ) You should now be able to access the heater matrix retaining nuts & bolts. Remove the old, install the new. Good mech should be able to do it in around 3 - 4 hours max. :thumbsup:

Cheers Daktari. I somehow knew you'd know how to do this one.

I've bypassed the matrix for now so at least Asha is 'up and running'.

I'll fit a new one later in the year ( before the cold weather kicks in )

Cheers Mate

Muggins !

Like dak says, I think it can be done without removing the whole dash. Just the centre console and some other small panels. Looks like a fiddly job though.

Thanks for the replies chaps :thumbsup: very much appreciated and thanks once again to Muggins for doing a good job for me. :thumbsup:

Happy bunny once again. :thumbsup:

here is a pic of what the passenger side looked like.

gallery_5600_18_1117889524.jpg

I had to remove the dash to get to the top bolts as the big white box in the middle of the pic (air con) had to come out, followed by another on the right of it (behind the bracket - it has that yellow pipe on the front of it) which contained the matrix. The bracket is the one for the stereo and heater controls. The big bar is a cross brace from a pilar to a pilar and had to come out too.

I'd suggest you invest in a digi cam with a few 100 pic memory .. take photo's of EVERYTHING (specifically screws/bolts/eletric conectors) and then watch them backwards to see how to but it back together. It's a tatic I've used a few times now.

yup, just remove all of the bottom of the dash, just becareful when removing the matrix as they can be re-con'd, a replacement should only be about £40

DSCF7013.jpg

from when i done mine, enjoy ;) lol

yup, just remove all of the bottom of the dash, just becareful when removing the matrix as they can be re-con'd, a replacement should only be about £40

DSCF7013.jpg

from when i done mine, enjoy ;) lol

Thats a lot of ...... heinz_spaghetti.jpg:rolleyes:

yeah i know, i just took everything out to try and make it easier........ it didn't help lol

looks like fun...................cant wait!!!!

Get outta here. You`ll love it. :lol::thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Just to say thanks for all the info that you guys came up with.

I did this last weekend and it's almost as straightforward as I'd hoped. The presence of some aftermarket switches and 'added' wiring caused much annoyance though. I swore lots.

The way I did it was to remove the entire dashboard, again it's fairly straightforward. It always had a few creaks and rattles so I thought I'd take the whole thing off and refit it properly ( with all the screws etc ! )

Got the matrix refurbed at Motorcool Services in Teesside. New core, next day service, £60 + VAT. Just waiting for a free day to refit it all.

Once that's done I'll have a go at the electric steering wheel tilt. ( informed that it's not working either !!!! ................... Anyone want a bridge painting??????? )

Just to say thanks for all the info that you guys came up with.

I did this last weekend and it's almost as straightforward as I'd hoped. The presence of some aftermarket switches and 'added' wiring caused much annoyance though. I swore lots.

The way I did it was to remove the entire dashboard, again it's fairly straightforward. It always had a few creaks and rattles so I thought I'd take the whole thing off and refit it properly ( with all the screws etc ! )

Got the matrix refurbed at Motorcool Services in Teesside. New core, next day service, £60 + VAT. Just waiting for a free day to refit it all.

Once that's done I'll have a go at the electric steering wheel tilt. ( informed that it's not working either !!!! ................... Anyone want a bridge painting??????? )

Rich. You have PM. :thumbsup:

The new one is fitted now. Pretty straight forward job ( eventually ).

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

The aforementioned Steering wheel tilt mechanism has been JAMMED with a blob of weld by some goddam genius. I have no idea why this has been done though. I'll investigate this further in a week or so.

Rich

The new one is fitted now. Pretty straight forward job ( eventually ).

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

The aforementioned Steering wheel tilt mechanism has been JAMMED with a blob of weld by some goddam genius. I have no idea why this has been done though. I'll investigate this further in a week or so.

Rich

Seems it irritated some people. I think it`s !Removed! handy. But thats cos i`m fat and old. :lol::lol:

Not only is it now fitted, the bonus is ....it bloody works ...wooo hoooooooooooooooooo :P

Thankyou Rich :rolleyes:

You all remember my Battery light and cat light was on????????????

Well it was due to the alternator not doing its job properly...............its gone off this very second to get re-conditioned @ £95 :o

So fingers crossed all should be well and good on her return. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links