Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs Lights On..

Special Red

Leaving work this afternoon my ABS light came on. For the last couple of months my Brakes have been squeeking. The car was MOT'd in March and it passed with no mention of the pads needing to be replaced. I had noticed the squeek intermitantly a week before the MOT but presumed they would pick any problems up. Basically as this is the first Toyota I have ever owned I wondered if the abs light also came on to show when pads were on their way out(as I cant see any other warning lights)?????

Cheers

as a guess i think the handbrake on light would light to suggest pad wear.

pull the abs fault codes to find out - view my sticky on how to do it.

Handbrake light?? Very Strange! Cheers, just off to find sticky.

Had a look and as its a corrolla mentioned I wondered if you could tell me where the Check connector is in a gen 6??? Also can I use a paperclip to do the test?????

Handbrake light?? Very Strange! Cheers, just off to find sticky.

Had a look and as its a corrolla mentioned I wondered if you could tell me where the Check connector is in a gen 6??? Also can I use a paperclip to do the test?????

Why is the handbrake light strange?? Most cars use that light as a combo handbrake/brake problem light they have done on every car I've owned :yes:

Paperclip should be fine for the test - not sure which pins or where as I've never done it but I'm sure a bit of searching on the forum will throw up some results :thumbsup:

Nice one for that!

Yeah in regards to handbrake comment, I made it due to mainly owning Vauxhalls. They have an individual light that comes on for the pads, so I was looking for something like that. I would have dismissed the handbrake light as faulty if it stayed on so cheers for that matey!

I drove a Carlton for 2 years with the ABS light on - nobody ever found out why even after 4 pad changes! Only one way to find out if the ABS works - dry road, sharp bend, no buses coming the other way...........!

Anti-Lock Brake System Service: Focus On Toyota Corolla Models, Larry Carley, ImportCar, March 2001

The anti-lock brake system used on older Toyota Corolla models is essentially the same as that on the Camry, Celica and other Toyota models: A Bosch 2 non-integral design with four wheel speed sensors and a separate hydraulic control circuit for each wheel.

Booster I think you are not quite understanding what I meant, I know the ABS system is ESSENTIALLY the same but where on a Gen 6 do I find the Check Connector as the picture shown is SPECIFIC to a Corrolla?

simply remove the shorting pin and join Tc and E1 with a paperclip .

look under the ports lid for connection points

But where is it mate on a gen6???????????

I know what to do when I find it, but is it located under the bonnet or behind the dashboard etc.

oh !!! ok its in the top right corner area as you look under the bonnet

Is the squeaking coming from the front? Could well be your wheelbearing and hub knackered.

It sounds a bit like the problem I had - the squeaking at least, although I didn't kill the ABS sensor. It's quite a common fault. What happens is (for some reason) the wheel bearing inner Shell turns on the hub axle thingy and beacuse the bearing Shell is harder material it wears down the hub. This lets the entire hub/driveshaft assembly wobble around and the ABS sensor rubs on the toothed wheel. If it's got bad it could have killed the ABS sensor. Try jacking up the front wheels check for play.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links