Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need Some Help With My D4d Please

devon_guy

I have an 06 Yaris D4D MMT and have now done 2000 miles in it. Basically the fuel economy still seems fairly poor to what I would expect, averaging 40mpg around town.

Secondly when it changes gear at low speed particulary 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd it sometimes makes this noise like tin cans are rattling. Anyone got any ideas??

Thanks

Hi

From previous posts I had issues with the fuel economy of my D4D but recently it's pretty good. I have done 5000miles so far and averaging just under 500miles for a full tank. This is mainly motorway driving @80mph. Round town get between 400-450miles to a tank.

The gearbox issue was a concern for myself but the more miles I have done this seems to have dissappeared so i'm assuming it's beacuse it's a new car and takes a few thousand miles to settle in.

PJ06

Our D-4D does bionic mpg figures and has no rattles whatsoever.

Perhaps you have a clutch release bearing problem? Try sitting at tickover then put in the clutch and listen for any strange noises.

Our D-4D does bionic mpg figures and has no rattles whatsoever.

Perhaps you have a clutch release bearing problem? Try sitting at tickover then put in the clutch and listen for any strange noises.

He will not be able to do that with the MMT system :rolleyes:

Could it be a vibrating/resonating exhaust system?

It is not very old..............use your warranty :yes:

Wos an MMT system ??

Is it like the MCC Smart electric clutch release system?

Multi Mode Transmission..............a £500 option on the Yaris which uses a computer controlled gearshift/sequential selector system on a standard gearbox.

The driver has the choice of automatic driving (E) or manual (M) sequential shift by pushing the gearlever backwards or forwards. In my experience , the system works very well with none of the disadvantages associated with a conventional auto box.

There is no clutch pedal hence my comment that he will be unable to push in the clutch and listen for the noise on the MMT Yaris

Ok, that's the same system that smart have been running for about 5 years now so it does have a clutch albeit an electric one so it must also have a release bearing.

Does the noise happen in neutral or when in gear but at a standstill ?

It is not very old..............use your warranty :yes:

Have you been back to the supplying dealer yet??

I made the same complaint about my 06 D4D Yaris, but it's slowly getting better. I have to drive very lightly to get good economy at the moment. Only done just over 4000 miles.

Absolute best I've had so far is 380 miles for tank.

Absolute best I've had so far is 380 miles for tank.

You HAVE to be joking? I easily get over 600 with fuel still in the tank

Well I have no idea how you have such good fuel economy blackbird, I'm lucky to get 40mpg. The noise happens when it changes gear either up or down and its going back to the garage tomorrow, albeit not the supplying dealer. I suspect they will say they can't find anything....

My fuel economy is simple to explain - I've resigned, so I've got no money therefore I'm in no rush to be anywhere :)

QED

I also drive mine very carefully, I'm no boy racer and I still can't get anymore mpg.

Hi Devon Guy,

I just bought the new d4d yaris manual 1 month ago and from day one I got 55mpg.

I drive 80 miles a day mixture of motorway and country road and the fuel economy seems to improve all the time. If I meander down a country lane at 40mph I get upto 70mpg.

Driving at a constant steady speed is when the mph soars.

A full tank after 1 month of driving just got me 460 miles. Maybe it is worth Toyo linking it up to a laptop and checking the mixture/tuning settings as I think you have been struggling with this for a while.

regardo

Well using your quoted figures of 460 miles on a tank that equates to 51mpg not 70! Not great for a mixture of roads I wouldn't have said.

Modern diesels and petrol engines are not fully run in under 10k miles.

Drive carefully and don't rev it and it will never bed in properly.

You need to drive it fastish and acclerate to 3,000+rpm occasionally to loosen up the engine.

My 2004 D4D has done 26k miles and is nicely run in. Anything under 10k miles is not.

I average over 60mpg in mixed driving but get 67-69 on long runs and 55- 58 in town.

I would expect a not properly run-in car to be at least 10-15% worse than that - ie.e an average of 50-55mpg overall. That's around 460 miles to the fuel guage winking at you...

If you try once a day - when the engine is warm to acclerate hard in 2nd or 3rd or 4th gear to 3500rpm - then you'll run it in failry quickly.

Do it never and it may never loosen up.

(i've driven 3 diesels from new or near new and fuel consumption improved markedly after 6-10k miles were on the speedo)

As has been said millions of times before... there are hundreds of factors that affect your MPG... you may not be a boy-racer... you could be the total opposite... which means you're probably labouring the engine... this is just as detrimental as over-revving yet is also places strain on other elements of the car. Just drive it properly... give it soke beans now and then and make sure it's out of town... you will NOT see good average MPG figures if you drive more than 50% of your time in town.

Well my corolla has done 30k ...... although I didn't get it from new :thumbsup:

Most of the time I get around 500 miles to the tank although it has gone up and down and I have seen figures of 46mpg and 71mpg :D

Sometimes you just can't help putting your foot down :P !

What sort of revs do you get upto in your car before changing gear, as I have noticed that the driving style is completely different to a petrol car and I still dont think I have the hang of it yet :!Removed!:

Not really looked to be honest as I have the MMT.

Not really looked to be honest as I have the MMT.

Yes the MMT takes all the guesswork out of driving :thumbsup:

I'm really confused now. Mr T has lent me a d4d manual for a few days to compare and the fuel econ is crap in that too, averaging 42mpg the same as my mmt, why can't I get anywhere near the published figures??

>a few days?

Did you measure accuratley the miles travlled and fuel inserted?

Accuratley.

I mean ACCURATELY.

I mean to the mile and exact litre so you filled it to the top - on a level surface - TWICE - and measured the mileage between those two measurements.

If you did that - which suggests you travlled 400-500 miles in a few days then you mpg calculations will be roughly correct.

If not your measuremnts will not be.. If you are relying on the bars on the fuel guage to tell how much fuel used, then forget it.

Been there and done that..and got it wrong!:-)

And of course you are comparing like for like: journey times/disatnces and driving style..?

If not..

I have always kept records of fuel and mileage (for expenses at first then habit) and can never tell exact fuel consumption until around 1,000 miles travelled..

Agreed with the above, you only have one constant to measure from - the tank being brimmed every time.

As long as you remember to zero your odometer each time you simply do the maths - you don't have to empty a tank to get an mpg figure.

Devon Guy ... the quoted 71mpg may not have been a completely empty tank.

Who runs their tank THAT low, I certainly don't/won't.

My mpg figures are for a car with a tuning box fitted that has totally changed the characteristics of the engine, it pulls very hard from low revs now so I simply ride the torque curve.

:yes: wot they said... 4000 miles is peanuts. In the last 2 weeks I've done a little under 2k on 3 and a bit tanks. I could have made it home from northern France (St Omer) on one tank I've just worked out, but that would have been running on fumes though.

No I don't drive for economy and no my car wasn't unladen (7 seater Yaris, anybody? :D )

Stop worrying ffs..

:thumbsup:

A

My petrol Yaris has done just over 9000 miles - I'm now getting almost 400 miles to a tank and my right foot isnt particularly light!

Ok so I'm travelling up and down the M1 now on a regular basis, but thats not the point....

Toyota give guideline figures for MPG... its a guideline, its not a certainty - I'm sure Toyota dont say you can get almost 400 miles out of a 1.3 petrol T-Spirit with the air con on constantly... but let me tell you, you bloody can! :lol:

Honest to god, please just chill out about it and enjoy your car - you could get smashed into by a stark raving loon tomorrow and you wont be worrying about mpg then, let me tell you.... :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links