Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis T-spirit Personal Review

65special

Here is a personal review of 12 months ownership from new, of the Avensis T-Spirit 2.0 L petrol manual hatchback.

Pros.

Build quality excellent, no loose knobs or broken switches yet.

Whilst I initially thought it's looks were a little staid, I think it has now “grown on me”. Mine is in blue metallic that looks great when it has just been valeted. I prefer it to the Vectra, Mondeo or Honda.

Road holding and handling excellent with the 215/45 17” alloys. Brakes and gearbox fine, although clutch and throttle pedals are a bit “heavy”.

Useful built-ins like Cruise Control (not used much), Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control. Extras like rain sensitive wipers and parking wing mirrors are a bonus.

Leather electric seats are nice. Hatchback boot is enormous. Plenty of storage pockets. Rear space very good. Dual Climate Control very efficient. Optitron instrument panel superb in all light conditions. Safety features outstanding.

The TNS200 “step-by-step” Sat. Nav. is quite useful although it is a bit “old fashioned” compared to the latest DVD full visual models.

Cons.

High level of road noise on most surfaces. After 12 months use, I still haven’t got used to it.

The lack of low down pull of the 2 .0L engine (important when overtaking). It only starts to perform at around 3,500 r.p.m, although to be fair it sounds smooth and willing enough up to over 5,000 r.p.m. I suppose this is what one can expect from a V-Tec based engine.

Still the overall performance seems a little disappointing from a 150 bhp engine. What the petrol engined Avensis needs is a Turbo engine like the Saab 9-3 or Vectra!

The fuel consumption is not particularly good. Based purely on the built-in computer, I get around 24 to 26 mpg on short town journeys (not much better than my previous 2.5 L V6 Vectra!) and 32 to 34 on long or motorway trips. Turning off the air con. does not seem to make much difference to the figures.

Small niggles.

On occasion, the drivers side wing mirror will not move in the up or down direction (but is ok moving from side to side).

Sometimes, if the hatchback boot is not shut firmly, the boot light stays on and a door open warning light appears on the instrument panel.

The front brakes squeal at very low speeds. I think that is a known problem and can be fixed under warranty.

Always good to hear what other Avensis owners think.

Nice summary.

I have the T4, but also on 215/45 rubber on 17 inch rims (but 7 spoke)

The road noise is higher, but not as high as I initally thought.

Jumping back into my E Class (215/55 16 inch rims) I was quite taken back at how much more wind noise there is compared to the Avensis at motorway speeds. Sitting back in the Avensis it is apparent wind noise is very low and that 'accentuates' the road noise, which is the only noise (can't hear much engine in mine 1.8 VVTi)

So in retrospect, the road noise is louder on certain surfaces, but not as loud as I thought. (compared to Mercedes E Class)

I'd agree with everything you say there 65special. I bought a 2.0L T Spirit in 2003 and my experiences were exactly the same over two years.

The extra niggles, probably due to it being an early model were mainly an incurable rattle from the dash and squeaking brakes at any speed. An exhaust valve also needed replacing to cure a bad misfire but that could happen in any car I suppose.

In 2005 I swapped for a 2.0L diesel and arranged to have 16" wheels. Not having had a diesel for some time I was a bit wary but over the last year I've warmed to this car. It averages around 42 mpg in town and 55+ on a run. I find it quieter than the petrol version because you don't need the revs to get a decent acceleration on overtaking and the mid range torque is better. The 16" wheels make a big reduction to the road noise without appreciably affecting the handling.

My only regret is that this is a 5 speed gearbox and on the motorway fifth is slightly too low for a relaxed cruise at high speed, so I might well have a closer look at the 2.2L models next year.

I've got a T3X 1.8 54 plate and that is spot on. The engine performs well, and is not too noisey unless its being worked hard. For example when a VW golf TDI cuts you by pushing his way out of a filter lane into your path. (little rant over with now) The brakes are fine and on that occasion they brought the avensis from 60mph to 30 in a splt second. The handling is a good balance of comfort and driver enjoyment, i seem to find myself taking the longest routes to place, has the car makes you feel safe and secure. Overall its a 10/10 score from me the the avensis.

I have the same car modell ,03 Reg, can only agree, needs a turbo , its a slow mover and I am a bit unhappy about the fuel consumption , but otherwise a very comfortable and reliable car.

I am happy with the silver colour, but I do like the stunning blue colour more.

The key does get on my nerves, does not fold up and makes holes in my trouser pockets,

Toyota should have a good look at the VW key.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links