Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Avensis Is Broken :-(

Hippy *-UK-*

Hi all,

Once again I am in need of you help.

I was involved in a smash recently. Stationary at a junction and the guy behind me run straight into me without bralking :wacko:

I was informed by my insurers that I would have to let it go to their 'approved' repairer. As this was my first ever accident I let them send it to this accident repair centre. When I went to opick it up I was in for a shock. They had replaced the bootlid and rear bumper. On opening the boot I found it extremely heavy to lift and just didn't look like the correct bootlid. The owner of the garage said that Toyota may be suppling heavier booytlids these days (Stop laughing) or the hydrualic legs/pumps had worn out due to wear and tear (they worked a week ago). On lifting the carpet in the boot I found the wiring loom trundled straight across the boot floor instead of hidden inside the rear quarter. On pointing this out to the owner he gave it a good hard yank to see if he could make things right. On top of that there were different size gaps between the bumper and the rest of the car on each side. The explanation for this was Toyota supply the parts and we put them together, It's not our fault the do not fit correctly and they are bound to be 'off' a bit. My insurers are now sending their engineer to check it out.

As far as I'm concerned I've been royally shafted by this garage and my question to you all is any idea what my options are? At the time I just threw the key back at them and told em to keep it until it is fixed correctly.

I need to know where I can find details of parts etc so I can prove that this guy was feeding me a pack of lies.

Does anyone know where I can find a parts listing for an avensis CDX (51 plate)?

*sorry about the long post*

just go to a toyota dealer ship

maybe not the same one and ask them what part numbers wud b required etc and in doin so u'll get some independant advice

maybe not the same one and ask them what part numbers wud b required etc and in doin so u'll get some independant advice

That's the problem :crybaby:

The garage my insurer sent my car for repair is a an accident repairer and not a main dealer. I wanted it to go to the main dealer but they stated that it would have to go to the bunch of cowboys who bodged the repair and then had the cheek to lie to me about it. Still waiting for a response from my insurer

:crybaby: :ffs: :ffs:

1. The story about "must use our approved repairer" is a load of hogwash. They only say this as they have arrangements in place to reduce their own admin charges. You are entitled to send the vehicle to any repairer you chose. The only stipulation is that they shouldn't start work until the repair has been agreed. The insurers may ask for their own assessor to visit the vehicle in storage to provide a comparative quote or they might be real sh*ts and make you provide a number of quotes off your own back.

Remember that the vehicle is the property of the insurers until you have settled a repair/write off value. If they write it off then they pay YOU the market value. If the repair it then they pay the bill less an excess.

If the accident was NOT your fault then you are entitled "not to be financially inconvenienced" - that means the guy behind pays for everything. (If the write off value is less than the cost of the replacement identical vehicle then issue a small claims court summons against him for the difference - it soon gets their attention)

2.Your contract is with the insurance company. If the vehicle is not repaired suitably then get an independant assessor to check it and pressure the insurance company into having it done again by a Toyota authorised workshop. Sue for costs and time as they instructed you on what should be done and got it wrong. Do not accept responsibility for sorting out the mess with the cowboys. Do not sign for the vehicle accepting it back. The problem is for the garage to sort out with the insurer and not you.

3. Overweight bootlid ? Did they replace it or did they hammer it out and load it with filler.

If anything after-market parts (not Toyota bits) are lower grade and sometimes thinner or lighter as they do not have all the brackets welded on or they scrimp on the steel. Unless they have fitted bulletproff glass then something isn't right. Have they fitted the hydraulic rams the right way up? - They could be working in reverse.

4. Wiring loom = fire hazard. Reject the vehicle.

5. Gaps = badly fitted panels. This is what they pay a panel beater for. Toyota parts will fit every time unless the Shell is twisted or shortened. After-market parts are cheaper but require more panelling skills. I suspect you have been subjected to cheap parts and cheap labour. Worst case is that your boot floor has been shortened and not pulled back properly before refitting the rear wings and valance panels. Hence the bumper doesn't fit cleanly.

You are going to have a bit of a fight on your hands with this one. Get your solicitor on standby.

Good Luck

That's the problem :crybaby:

The garage my insurer sent my car for repair is a an accident repairer and not a main dealer. I wanted it to go to the main dealer but they stated that it would have to go to the bunch of cowboys who bodged the repair and then had the cheek to lie to me about it. Still waiting for a response from my insurer

:crybaby: :ffs: :ffs:

You can choose what garage you take your car to be repaired by ie Toyota but you have to get a couple of quotes - you also have to check your insurance small print. Most wont want to - but you can :yes:

I suppose it's one of the benifits of going with Toyota as your insurers .......

If your not happy with the quality of work don't accept it :thumbsup: !

Also worth getting trading standards involved if nothing gets sorted ;)

A lot of very good advice from Penfold above.

Particulalrly item one. You're perfectly within your rights to tell them you want it to go to a dealer for example if you're worried about invalidating your warranty.

DO NOT take possesion of the car until you are entirely satisfied with the quality of the work. One you've taken it it'll be nearly impossible to get any further rectification work done

I would suggest that if necessary get an independent inspection done regarding the standard of repairs .

As Dave sr said you can take your car to whoever you like to have repaired provided you have obtained alternative quotes .

On older cars sometimes insurers will repair cars with non genuine parts as an alternative to writing a vehicle off as the repair may be more than the write off value if repaired with genuine parts

As service manager with a main franchise for 25 years I have seen some of the horrors from "preferred repairers", this has become more prevalent in the last 10 years or so. Many insurance companies dictate to these repairers on what parts to use (genuine or more often cheaper alternatives) and demand a substantial discount on these parts, they also dictate labour and paint charges. Most policies cover a courtesy car but this is provided and financed by the repairer NOT the insurance compny. Add all these facts together and you have a perfect recipie for cheap and nasty repairs, all down to costs.

Stick to your rights and have your car repaired by repairer of your choice, remember YOU are the customer.

I must add there are lots of good independent repairers who take a pride in the work they turn out.

Thanks Guys, Appreciate the time spent on the replies. Garage phoned me today and said he'd fix this and that but never mentioned the bumper. If it's not right they can keep it until it is or I'll get my insurers to let toyota have a look at it

these days most insurance companies are a subsiduary of another and this may be a knock for knock claim with the ins companies !!!!

speak to the insurance regulators BBC watchdog and what car

have you got lawyer cover with your policy ??? may be home cover or are you a union member ??

my advice take photos not digital and video evidence

and name and shame the garage and speak to the ABI they have a arbitration policy for you and the garage.

good luck post back.

you could repair at toyota and sue garage or insurance company for su standard work issue a small claims court may be the cheapest and best way forward no insurance compay would be happy with this.

I had a similar thing happen to me on a 190e merc cosworth a few yrs back I WON IN THE END OUT OF COURT SETTLE MENT .

COPY ALL LETTERS TO TRADING STANDARDS AND INS COMP AND ABI

This garage owner is talking crap.

I was in a smash about 4 years ago in my 93 Corolla and totally pancaked the front, I was told by my insurers to take it to an approved repairer (Arnold Clark-----bad reputation up here in Scotland).

Fearing the worst I took it anyway and about 2 weeks later went back to get it. To my pleasant surprise they had done a perfect job in repairing it and that needed a new bonnet, wings, bumper, etc. The fit-up was spot on and you could never tell that it was in a smash.

This was all done on an old 93' car and they could obviously get all the panels for that, so your garage owner should not be allowed to fob you off with any old rubbish. If your insurer is now involved, then they should sort it all out for you.

I'm sorry also, for the length of the post!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links