Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Vs Volkswagen

eiriksmil

Hi there,

I read a lot at VWVortex.com, and it seems like there a lot of problems regarding the cars, warning lights coming on, different issues with ignition and fuel pumps, etc.. We've only had two problems with the Verso, one ABS lamp that froze and one foglight that started to take in water and then stopped working. The foglight was suddenly clear one day the summer ended, and worked fine - like nothing happened. The ABS sensor froze in a cold Norwegian winter with temperatures dipping below -22F for days. The light came on, we parked and took the car out the day after; everything fine, as expected.

Any problems with your cars? Toyotas for life.

Eirik

I had my Toyota Yaris for 2 years & have had my VW Golf for almost 3 months & have had the same number of problems with both cars (none). I believe both companies make cars well to minimise problems & a big part of my decision to buy a Golf was the reputation of VW. I am expecting it to be less reliable than the Yaris because that was tremendous but I'm still expecting it to be more reliable than the average car

Hi there,

I read a lot at VWVortex.com, and it seems like there a lot of problems regarding the cars, warning lights coming on, different issues with ignition and fuel pumps, etc.. We've only had two problems with the Verso, one ABS lamp that froze and one foglight that started to take in water and then stopped working. The foglight was suddenly clear one day the summer ended, and worked fine - like nothing happened. The ABS sensor froze in a cold Norwegian winter with temperatures dipping below -22F for days. The light came on, we parked and took the car out the day after; everything fine, as expected.

Eirik

:lol:

I know a couple of guys from VWVortex - yeah, it seems that their cars are always breaking. Window regulators seem to be a favourite, followed by an unhealthy fascination for timing belts. Their cars just seem, well, pretty crap...

I've driven over 100k miles (160k km) in my 3 Yari. 2 of them have had anti-roll-bar bushes changed under warranty. That's all.

:thumbsup:

A

No issues with my Yaris other than a bloody dent in the drivers door at supermarket car park :censor: !

I also have mates who have VW's & have nothing but problems with them. They range from gearbox issues to engines cutting out.

On 2nd Phase 2 Yaris, first one had a binding front offside brake and now this one has it too! Apart from that and rattly windows from time to time not had any problems. :yes:

115k on mine, 109kof which Ive done - no series issues, recalls etc

Dealer service throughout warranty then either Envy or me servicing thereafter using better oil and TRD/PE filters... sounds as good if not better than the day I picked it up

Yes, just post up your problems, or if you don't have had any, include that too. I see there are some guys here with two year old cars, and P2 Yarises and so on. Now, we have had our Yaris for seven years in April, and no real problem yet. The weirdest thing is that this little econobox is still holding up the depriation, could get more than half of what we paid today. Oh, how I love these Yarises.

Oh, and the car has travelled around 44.000 miles now. It's not that much, we are almost never using the car for daily use. Especially when you remember we have taken our Norwegian car to Madrid, Spain, to John'O'Groats, Scotland and all around England. On the Scotland-trip we took a ferry from Norway to Newcastle, other than that it's been all Continental. Clocked up over 4.000 miles on our Ireland-trip summer 2006, and we'll might travel down to Italy in the end of June and start of July this summer, all over Italy, covering Venize, Rome, Secila, and hopefully some Austria and Switzerland too.

With all this Continental driving sometimes nearing 700 miles some days, and that's a string on the car. Does it hold up? Oh yes, Sir!

Eirik

I've had my car now (52 plate, registered in feb 2003, 1.3 "SR") just under a year, and the only major problem i had was headgasket, which was replaced under warrenty (must hav been raggin it 2 much). The main problem ive had it after sales service. It went in 4 times for the drivers side door seal, bout 7 for the cam belt slipping, and a couple of rattles, but nothin major which i am dissappointed with. Just toyota not doing there job properly!!!

Would definalty hav another yaris!

Eirik

Never had a VW.

Had a Yaris from new (since beginning October 06) and the only problem I've found is that there aren't enough hours in the day to enjoy it! 5000+ miles in 3 months and I don't drive it to/from work!

My centre console (big plastic thing with cupholders gearstick an handbrake in i) has come loose, its only attached at the back now and you can move it from side to side at the front end.

Also the plastic cover for the right hand bottom side of the drivers seat fell off and i cant get it to click back on for any length of time no matter how hard i try!

Reliability and stuff is spot on though, ive done 23000 miles in the 14 months ive had the car and shes never missed a beat.

Mechanically my T-Sport has been 100% (as expected!) over the last 10k.. had a few minor niggles which Toyota are sorting under warrenty - New Seat cover as the current one has bobbled and worn badly; both passenger and driver window rubbers are being replaced as they have warped and cause bad wind noise; the centre console clips snapped leaving it loose and the alloys are corroding already.. i believe most of these are known problems.

None of the above really bother me and the fact that Toyota have agreed to fix all of these niggles without asking any questions is fantastic! I used to have a Seat Ibiza and getting Seat to do any warrenty work was the biggest pain in the ****! :blink:

My sister's 2001 Yarii has done 50k without any problems - its been in the family since new

Great little cars.

:)

and the alloys are corroding already.. i believe most of these are known problems.

Whats your Toyota dealer doing about the alloys? Are they going to replace all 4 wheels for you?

Thay normally do. I was charged with taking my Mum's last RAV along to get them inspected. Guy came out, walked around the car with me pointing to the corrosion and said, "yep - I'll order them up and give you a ring when they're in"

...and lo and behold...

A

Just over 30,000 miles in the 21 months I've had the car and no problems so far. I'll also add that the car has had quite a hard life - a few hundred of those miles have been on gravel!

On my second Yaris now.......................no problems with either car :thumbsup:

(See my signature)

and the alloys are corroding already.. i believe most of these are known problems.

Whats your Toyota dealer doing about the alloys? Are they going to replace all 4 wheels for you?

No idea as yet.. will find out on Friday :)

I had an electrical fault on mine, the radio would cut off and restart, lights would go off and come back on, and the engine sometimes would cut off and restart instantly. It turned out in the end to be an electrical wiring fault on a terminal block behind the Battery, which Mr T very kindly fixed under warranty... even though it took them about 2 weeks to diagnose!!!!

Apart from that, i had the standard recall which most Phase 1 owners got about the rear brake lines becoming packed with ice in very severe conditions. Aside from the fact that we never ever EVER got conditions as cold as they were saying would actually cause the problem!! :rolleyes: :P

That's it on mine though, apart from a few little cosmetic things like a wavy passenger window seal! :toast:

Had my 51 plate for about 2 years, only problem iv had is the window seal on the drivers side keeps popping up..... oh and when i had to take it off road a lil the little plastic bit in the centre of one of the alloys fell out, but thats more my fault then the cars :P

the little plastic bit in the centre of one of the alloys fell out, but thats more my fault then the cars :P

How the hell does that happen? I bought my Yaris with 2 of them on & sold it with none on & I haven't got a clue what happened to them, do they come off as you're driving harshly or what? :huh:

To be fair they really arnt very well attached, can easily pull them out with just you hand, so a little bump probably would cause them to come loose! Im quite surprised i havnt lost any more considering the conditions of some of the roads near my house!

Atleast they only cost about £1.50 for replacements

To be fair they really arnt very well attached, can easily pull them out with just you hand, so a little bump probably would cause them to come loose! Im quite surprised i havnt lost any more considering the conditions of some of the roads near my house!

Atleast they only cost about £1.50 for replacements

Yeah, I did take 1 out to have a look & it came out very easily so I thought they might have came out as I was travelling, would have thought they'd have been designed not to though

Don't know who's selling them for £1.50 but I phoned Mr T when I was looking at selling the Yaris I was told they were between £5 and £10 per wheel, depending on the wheel

Got them from the toyota garage in Cheltenham went in for the centre bits and 2 caps the the locking wheel nuts as someone had taken them off whilst parked in tewkesbury, total bill came to just over £3 as i got a spare centre bit just in case and they gave me the caps for free!

Spent more on the petrol getting there than on all the little parts, was very happy!

They are replacing the alloys for me :D once again they didn't grumble! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links