Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Little Ts Garaged :(

skyliner34

I took my less than week old Yaris T Sport to the garage yesterday to repair a dent on the drivers door. Picked her up after work everything looked fine. Woke up last morning and the part which was re sprayed had gone all white/cloudy :( :crybaby:

Took it back today for them to sort it out. The guy did three cars yesterday, and all of them had the same problem. Apparently hes used waterbased paint, and hes sprayed the door with aerosol tin not a gun.

I'm well peed off. At least i'm not paying, I prefer the car with an honest dent than a messy paint job.

Got a yaris GSX(I think) for the time being, phoning them up at 16:30 to find out whats going on!

I took my less than week old Yaris T Sport to the garage yesterday to repair a dent on the drivers door. Picked her up after work everything looked fine. Woke up last morning and the part which was re sprayed had gone all white/cloudy :( :crybaby:

Took it back today for them to sort it out. The guy did three cars yesterday, and all of them had the same problem. Apparently hes used waterbased paint, and hes sprayed the door with aerosol tin not a gun.

I'm well peed off. At least i'm not paying, I prefer the car with an honest dent than a messy paint job.

Got a yaris GSX(I think) for the time being, phoning them up at 16:30 to find out whats going on!

I hope they gave you a free courtesy car etc !! Make sure you check it over really good before you take it away

Yeah they gave me a green y reg Yaris 5 door CPX (not GSX). I don't think they going to do anything to it today. They wanted to keep the car there for the guy to come back and have a look. A lot of garages around me uses him apparently. I wouldnt recommend him!

Phoning them back in about an hour to find out whats happening.

I had that happen to one of my cars once at the dealers and i raised hell !!

Someone knocked it the day after i had it serviced and i said it was done at the dealership, they repaired it for free, gave me the managers car for the weekend etc !! LOL !!

Nah, a propper bodyshop deffinately sholdn't be using aerosol cans to respray large, exposed parts like the doors. Is the car red by any chance?

Whatever you do, don't go back there after they've put it right!

Looks like they tried to do it on the cheap becuase I'm not paying. Phoned up the garage earlier and they said that the've re done the job and it'll be ready tomorrow. I'll be taking it elsewhere if it's not right this time! And I don't mind paying, as long as the job is done right.

Sounds about right :) The funny thing is, it went cloudy where the rain had been standing. You could see white stains in form of droplets where water had been running down the car. Looked like a printed photo on a ink printer and you fliked water droplets over it. The parts where the water had been was faded or cloudy.

What would make the finish rough to the touch?, cold again?

yeah, if its sprayed too cold, the fine mist of lacquer can begin to cure before it ever reaches the bodywork.

Imagine the mist being like hale stones instead of rain- It'd be rougher and moisture would be able to penetrate underneath it. Same thing will happen if it was too hot though!

Thought so. Does paint allways match when it's been re sprayed. Some people tell me that it never matches, but after a few weeks it starts to fade and visually blends into the existing colour. True?

Well my dad actually runs a bodyshop which does private/insurance repairs, so I've seen the whole process! Basically, the paint is mixed by a computer and a set of *very* accurate scales to the manufacurers paint code specification. once sprayed and laquered (we use about three-four coats), the paint is exacly as it was when the car was originally sprayed. However, the paint on any car begins to fade due to UV etc immediately, so the paint on the unsprayed parts will be very slightly lighter in colour. The colour difference between the panel is 'blended' by a machine polish and some cutting compund, which takes off a layer of the exposed paint on the old panels, revealing paint that matches the factory standard. Finally, any imperfections on the panels are smoothed out with wet/dry before a final gloss polish! :D

After this, the paint on all the panels will deteriorate evenly, so if done properly, the paint should match throughout the life of the vehicle!

-sorry for the essay, but hopefully now everyone can see why aerosol cans just won't do for our beloved motors! :thumbsup:

Oh, and I asked wheter the car was red because that colour is notoriously hard to match perfectly!

When i used to work in a vehicle body shop stores i had to mixed the paint manually weighing the paint to the last drop, one drop to many and i had to start again it was a right pain !!!

Sorry to hear about your bodged paint job. Glad it's getting sorted. :thumbsup:

One thing though, aren't paints supposed to be water-based nowadays? :unsure:

Yep, that is the process using water-based paint!

New legislation in the UK has made all professional bodyshops change to water-based to minimalise the use of harmful chemicals. The workshop had to spend 200k to get the latest booths and extraction gear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links