Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clicking Sound When Cold Starting

Richard Davies

Nearly 2 weeks ago I purchased a 2001 1.3 CDX Yaris, it's been mostly fine but in the cold weather iv'e noticed a clicking sound like relay when I cold start. At first I assumed it was the heater (which makes a similar click when I turn it on) but it happens when I keep it turned off.

The engine seems to struggle but after 5 seconds starts running fine. I only seem to get it when the car has been parked in the cold for at least 6-7 hours, I once stalled it after running a few minutes & it started fine.

I was thinking it could be the Battery was a little low after sitting in a dealers yard for weeks & doing a few short journeys, & me learning to program the radio & sat nav.

As I got it through my local garage, who did a pre-delivery check, should I let them have a look? It's someone I've dealt with before & they said to let them know if I had any problems, but it could be something I could sort out myself.

Does it happen when you turn the ignition on or when your starting it ?

You get a clicking from the starter motor if your Battery is dead and it can't turn over but you say it starts fine so starter motor could be faulty ? purely a guess tho.

It might be better to take it to a Toyota dealer as they can run a proper diagnostic check which might find the problem.

Nearly 2 weeks ago I purchased a 2001 1.3 CDX Yaris, it's been mostly fine but in the cold weather iv'e noticed a clicking sound like relay when I cold start. At first I assumed it was the heater (which makes a similar click when I turn it on) but it happens when I keep it turned off.

The manual states "You may hear a click or motor sound in the engine compartment for a few seconds when the engine is started or just after the vehicle is started. This means that the anti-lock brake system is in the self-check mode, and does not indicate a malfunction."

Could this be your clicking?

I've also found that in cars which have been sitting for a long time the petrol goes stale and they run rougher than normal, once you've filled up a couple of times they run a lot better.

[

The manual states "You may hear a click or motor sound in the engine compartment for a few seconds when the engine is started or just after the vehicle is started. This means that the anti-lock brake system is in the self-check mode, and does not indicate a malfunction."

Could this be your clicking?

I've also found that in cars which have been sitting for a long time the petrol goes stale and they run rougher than normal, once you've filled up a couple of times they run a lot better.

I didn't spot that bit in the manual, when I get a click the starter motor seems to briefly slow, but once the engine starts it seems to run fine.

It came with a quarter of a tank, & I've put a load in since, & now it's back down to a quarter, so all the old petrol should have gone by now.

"DaveSR Posted Today, 03:10 PM

It's just the cold weather dude ... if you are still unsure Toyota will do a free winter check for POM "

What's a POM? The click came with the cold weather, I did think it could be the auto choke kicking in.

A slowing of the starter when you get a click suggests something is pulling current.

How about the rear screen heater - do you leave that switched on? If so, then the relay switch will click and there will be a few less amps to turn the starter.

A slowing of the starter when you get a click suggests something is pulling current.

How about the rear screen heater - do you leave that switched on? If so, then the relay switch will click and there will be a few less amps to turn the starter.

I normally turn everything off before starting up, from previous experiance with a Ford Fiesta this helps when cold starting in winter. I did think it was the heater but I make sure it's off before I start.

The rear heated window is very good at demisting, & I only need it on early in a journey.

It's just the cold weather dude ... if you are still unsure Toyota will do a free winter check for POM :thumbsup:

Will a Toyota dealer really do a free check on a second hand 5 1/2 year old car?

Today I only encountered the clicking when I started it for the first time.

The trouble-free second time was after an 8 mile drive & then being parked for 3.5 hours in a temprature of 9 Deg C.

This suggests it was the cold weather.

No problems today, when I had the bonnet I noticed the negative terminal connection on the Battery was slightly loose. It needed just less than a half turn with a 10mm socket to stop it from moving. I'll need to wait for the next cold snap to see if this was the source of the problem.

Just another though - you don't have aircon do you?

If you do to clear the windscreen this will be where the clicking is comming from :thumbsup:

Just another though - you don't have aircon do you?

If you do to clear the windscreen this will be where the clicking is comming from :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure all CDX's come with A/C Dave! Mine's never clicked when clearing the windscreen though!!! I have a clicking noise at the minute, but it is actually a squeaky belt, just sounds like a clicking from inside the car! Plus it only does it when its cold!! :rolleyes:

I've only turned on the A/C once, just to test it, this is mainly because It's been too cold to need it on.

I'm assuming the loose Battery connection was stopping enough power to turn the engine from cold, & a relay (the sound came from under the dash & was like a relay switching) on a safety circuit was stopping things rather than risking damage to the starting circuit.

It starts fine every time since the change of weather & me tightening the Battery connections.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links