Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Noise From P/side Front Wheel

Pyewacket

A perculiar noise is emanating from my front passenger side wheel. If I corner reasonably sharply or brake quickly it makes a loud 'whu, whu, whu' sound. I can sort of feel the vibration too. I took it to the garage and he had a good look. Couldn't find anything except a teeny weeny bit of play in the wheelbearing, which he reckons should last a good few miles yet. The pads are not worn, not rubbing on the disks etc. no stones caught etc etc. What the fiddly foodle bird is it then? There is also a tinkling sound, like little bells, coming from the wheel, I sound like father christmas going down the road. Yet everything appears normal on inspection.

If anyone has any ideas what to check for please tell me, otherwise I will paint the car red and grow a big white beard.

Did your mechanic check out the bearing throughly ????....I mean take it to bits kinda thing and check every little detail ??? IMO even if there is only a slight bit of play in the wheel bearing..... get it sorted right away as these things are to dangerous to be leaving for a "few more miles"

I should know .....I left my wheel bearing for a "few more miles" and I was down to the wire in the tyre ..it could have gone at any second... and I never realised how bad it was or how dangerous it could be by leaving it.

But then again it might not be the wheel bearing at all...... I will wait for the boys to give their opinion on this one... It would be good to find out exactly what the heck it is.

Please keep us informed.

I'd say wheel bearing too I'm afraid, spoken to other celica owners in the past who have had similar noises but unable to detect any bearing play at all and yet replacing the bearing cleared it all up...

Only thing I can think of is that the celica is a bit more sensitive to bearing wear than other cars.

Either way if there's play I'd get it changed, anything with play puts pressure and wear on other components that aren't supposed to have them, which in turn increase wear in other areas :ffs:

The strange noise only came about suddenly. Not there one day-there the next. I had the mechanic fit new tyres and the old ones are fine wearwise. Even wear.

He didn't dismantle the bearing or anything just did the ole push and pull thing. Would the wheelbearing suddenly come on overnight? On my last car when the bearings were on their way out I could hear a wine that got progressively louder and there was excessive play when I gave the wheel a good rattle.

This noise only happens on steering to the left. ie. when the weight is 'off' the suspension, as it were. Or when I brake quickly. Not an emergency stop, just rapidly. I can hear the sound outside the car when I open the passenger window. It is quite loud and cyclical with the rotation of the wheel. It makes no sound at all when driving along, except on cornering. I almost thought it was a warped disc but the disc looks fine, no areas of wear or grooves the calipers work fine etc. No clicking/knocking/creaking like the cv. Car has only done 60,000 miles.

And what is the jingle bells all about? Thats been there a while, but no clips pins etc missing from the brakes.

Gawd, these things just drive me up the wall! I have no mechanical ability whatsoever or anywhere to have a poke about so I am forced to go to the garage. I've spent so much there they are building an extension with all the dosh I've given 'em.

I know how throwing money at a Celica feels and its not nice.

The jingle bells could be the bearings themselves, they could need lubing???? Just a guess. Any clips missing from the hub itself e.g a split pin?

I may be talking a load of poo but these are problems I have encountered with my KITT.

not sure on celicas but my mr2 had this and it was suspension mounts.. maybe it could be something like that

Well,

I went to the garage and it is not the wheel bearing, suspension, CV joints or brakes.All checks out fine. The car is staying for investigation. The sound has developed into a cyclical squeeling and grunting, much as though a piglet were jammed in the hub. If the car is jacked up it does not make the noise. Does not happen til the car has warmed up. No smell of frying bacon, however.

I am hoping it is a cheap job, the mechanic is dismantling it tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my car back after 10 days at the garage. Turns out, apparently, that the bearing was moving in the hub flange until it wore it away. New hub flange and bearing- 100 smackeroos. Labour £200. AAAAAARRRGGHHH.

Got it back from the garge with the drivers side carpet, mats, door and seat smeared with rust and oil from the mechanics, they did not use any seat or carpet protector and strangely my Battery clamp was undone and clock reset. Also the electric windows are now playing up and my fog lights have stopped working???!!

The front bumper unit bolts on the passenger side are now loose so the bumper has dropped away from the wing.I am totally peed off with the whole affair. I will certainly NEVER go there again.

What have they been doing??????

BUT Although the grinding knocking and squeeling have gone the jingle bells noise is STILL there. Where on earth is it coming from? Sounds like a bunch of keys jingling against a brake disc.

Does anyone know how to access those nose cone bolts. There seem to be 3 running up the inside of the wing panel.

I don't have a ramp or anything. Do I need to take off the plastic covers underneath?

Finally got my car back after 10 days at the garage. Turns out, apparently, that the bearing was moving in the hub flange until it wore it away. New hub flange and bearing- 100 smackeroos. Labour £200. AAAAAARRRGGHHH.

Got it back from the garge with the drivers side carpet, mats, door and seat smeared with rust and oil from the mechanics, they did not use any seat or carpet protector and strangely my battery clamp was undone and clock reset. Also the electric windows are now playing up and my fog lights have stopped working???!!

The front bumper unit bolts on the passenger side are now loose so the bumper has dropped away from the wing.I am totally peed off with the whole affair. I will certainly NEVER go there again.

What have they been doing??????

BUT Although the grinding knocking and squeeling have gone the jingle bells noise is STILL there. Where on earth is it coming from? Sounds like a bunch of keys jingling against a brake disc.

Does anyone know how to access those nose cone bolts. There seem to be 3 running up the inside of the wing panel.

I don't have a ramp or anything. Do I need to take off the plastic covers underneath?

Need to go at them from the wheel arch easier with wheel and arch cover removed.

Sounds like a right bunch of cowboy's... :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links