Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bad Fuel Consumtion

TRIGGER

:D Hi all, my fuel consumption on my carina gti is bleeding me dry, i get around 80 miles out of £20, i mainly do short trips more than longer trips, even if i dont put my foot down, i still get around the same mpg return. The car has been serviced with the usuall new plugs etc, it also idles perfect and has no flat spots or bad performance, my bro has the same car and he can get around 120 miles out of his £20, he does longer trips than me though, but surely mine still isnt right, can anyone shed some light, has anyone got/had a similar problem?, thx all TRIG :D :thumbsup:

Does your brother do longer trips than you? Quite possible it's just the distance you're driving. Large amounts of short trips significantly impacts the economy of almost any car.

When a car's running normally the air-fuel ratio will be somewhere around the 12:1 ~ 14:1 mark. However when the engines just been started it'll be more around 4:1 mark until it gets up to operating temperatures.

That means if you never drive for long enough to get up to full operating temperature you'll be using 2/3rds more fuel.

Yes m8 he does, BUT ive tested his out bye putting £20 in and driveing it around for a couple of days and get around 120 miles with my short trips.

• 2 months later...

I once got from Cleethorpes to Aldershot on £20 worth of petrol, via the A1(m) yet on the way back, on the M1, M18, M180 it cost me £40

you definatly get alot more miles the longer you travel

(oh and on a full tank, roughly £30 i can get around 300 miles, motorway and short journeys)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links