Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cant Refill Coolant System!

akjenks

After draining the coolant system via the rad drain wing nut ( i could not find the drain for the engine block) I tried to refill through the expansion tank but only got about 1 litre in as it wasnt going into the rad.

I drained this then tried to fill through the rad cap. I got about 3 litres in but it didnt fill the expansion tank.

I know the system takes 6.5 litres.

I urgently need help as I cant use the car as it is.

What is the correct way to fill the system :help:

Perhaps you have an airlock?

I'm aware with older cars I've owned that it was necessary to have the heater controls set to the hot position when draining the coolant, maybe someone with more knowledge of toyota could give a better answer.

Cheers.

If you've only emptied the rad, how do you expect to get 6.5 litres back into it? 6.5 is the amount for the whole cooling system.

Just fill the rad, put the cap on and then fill the expansion tank. Then drive it around and if it goes down a bit fill the expansion tank back up.

And look in the next morning or your coolant is down on LOW with a COLD engine than refill it

the coolant won't go anywhere unless the thermostat is open, you need to drive your car round a bit for the thermostat to open and the airlock to weed itself out..

Drive around, keep the cabin heater on MAX!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links