Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying A Gt4.... What To Look For!

apayne1000

hi guys im 99% going to buy a gt4 st185 2mrw with 80k on the clock what should i look for and check before handing the cash over!!!!!

cheers adam :thumbsup:

hi guys im 99% going to buy a gt4 st185 2mrw with 80k on the clock what should i look for and check before handing the cash over!!!!!

cheers adam :thumbsup:

OK st185 is my most knowledgeable model but I'll try an help anyway.

Firstly which one are you getting the normal ST185 which has a scoop type bonnet an RC/CS variant which has a big hole in the bonnet instead and a charge cooler rather than air to air intercooler like on the ST205.

The normal ST185 has an Air to Air intercooler as such you need to be careful off examples running high boost as this will be a sure road to a dead engine, think the stock boost level is around 10psi...

Also ensure you check if the engine has an air to air or charge cooler as some people have been caught out by past owners swapping the bonnet from a CS/RC to the normal st185, this is a big no no unless a FMIC has been fitted as it removes the bonnet scoop and airflow to the air to air intercooler and intake temps sky rocket again the mostly likely outcome will be a dead engine.

As I've said above the CS/RC variant as a chargecooler setup this allows higher boost levels to be used a bit more easily also the fuel cut is set higher than on the normal 185 around 17psi like on the st205. Stock level is around 11/12psi I think...

Now onto the generic stuff, the 185 has a normal strut setup at the front so you don't need to worry about the superstrut woes up st205 owners all fear, however given the age you need to make sure the dampers are in good condition and leak free. Turbo oil seals and shaft play should also be checked if theres any bluey smoke on boost then the seals are shot and the turbo needs a recon, shaft play should also be minimal.

Any blue or heavy smoke is a bad sign, it'll give a bit of black/grey smoke as you go on boost, this is the car overfueling and is fine, anything more than that any you should be wary.

Rear diff mount should also be checked dead giveaway is a knocking sound from the rear when going hard on and off throttle.

Also check round the engine for oil leaks, the most common is a leak down the back of the engine from above the intake mainfold, this is the rocker cover gasket and normally requires no more than a couple of bolts being tightened. Leak from bottom gearbox end of engine is the rear crank seal bit of a big one that and normally a good time to get the clutch changed as it's a gearbox off/engine out job.

Drivers side bottom leak is normally front crank seal, again good time to do the cambelt if it's been a while since last change. Can be done with the engine in the car this end, however it is a bit fiddley. leaking in the same area but towards the front is more likely to be the oil pump gasket.

Leak at bottom front center will most likely be the turbo oil feed new gasket and tighten should sort that.

Check the top of the radiator over if it gone all brownish with lots of cracks best to get it changed as it'll blow sometime in the near future...

Last and not least St185 are over 12 years old now at their best and up to 19 years at worst so have a good look around under the car for badly rusted sections, espeically around subframe/suspension mounts badly rusted examples can bring with them all kinds of greif...

Other than that make sure it's in good condition and runs well, also sus out the guy selling it if it's private does he seem like the kind of person that would have given the car the love and attention it needs??

Hope all goes well... :thumbsup:

thanks mate very helpful

when u say it should be running 10psi what bar would that be??

it has a boost guage (aftermarket so i can check it to that!!)

cheers!!!

adam :thumbsup:

10psi is near enough 0.7bar ;)

just thought id let u know i now own........wait for it...............

*********************A CELICA ST185 GT4**************************

Well happy with it , i drove 3hrs home in it it was awesome its running 10psi so thats excellent,

its white,lowered,17's,exhaust,bailey dump valve,full leather,shall host some pics very soon......needs new wheels tho the ones i have got on it are flaking :(

but at the end of the day they are just wheels,

any ideas of what wheels in a 17' size i should put on it!!!!!

pics would be greatful!!!!!

cheers boys for your help it really did help me out!!!! appreciated!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice one fella, get some piccies up then we can decide what wheels you want :P :lol:

sounds nice m8, just bought a 185 myself, best choice I`ve made in a while :thumbsup:

Theyre not joking when they say it drinks fuel though, apparently u need to buy the expensive stuff too, worth it tho.

happy drivin mate!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links