Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oui To Wii?

Demonic Angel

Oui to Wii?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should Em put her hand in her pocket and buy a Wii

• Yes, buy one you silly mare!
    • No, save your money!
    • No, buy a Nintendo DS instead!

I've been toying with it for ages and due to a change in circumstances I have some money I can either spend or save....

Now the sensible part of me says to save the money, but I've wanted a Wii for so long and I have the money to buy one, so should I? They're in stock everywhere now too!

And what games should I look to get? I love Mario, so Galaxy will be on the list when it's released but for now I'm thinking maybe Zelda & Mario Party 8? Whats out there thats good (no sports games, unless its racing!)

Or - should I stick the Wii and get a DS?

Don't bother telling me to buy an Xbox360 or PS3 though.... I don't fancy either of those, they don't seem half as fun as what Nintendo has to offer :thumbsup:

just make friends with somone who has one, then move yourself in ;)

if you wait end of october/ start of november theyll be all sorts of offers on them

then you can buy one, and something else

Oui To Wii.... great fun and probably the best value for money console out there... the full family can play it.. just pick it up and away you go.

It is still (AFAIK) the best selling console in the UK.

It can't play DS games but... there is the "Virtual Console" that allows you to download classic games for the NES, SNES, N64, Mega Drive and Turbo Graphics and store and play them on the Wii.

It can also play Game Cube games and is compatible with the Cube's Joypad and memory cards... so not only is it a Wii.. it is also a Game Cube.

It has an SD card slot so you can play your own music through certain games and you can also store your photo's and use the Wii to play them in a slideshow. (you can even backup your "save games" and your "downloaded" games on the SD card... games etc are downloaded from Nintendo VIA the "virtual Console" useing some sort of points system)

Now when I say this from a nintendo person who owns a ness, snes, n64, gameboy color....get both :D

My bro owns a nintendo wii, and its awesome. the virtual console is also a welcome so you can play the old games that you never got a chance to play before.

But the DS is also awesome, games like phoenix wright, new mario bros, pokemon pearl/diamond, sonic rush are just pure gameplay.

To be honest, I would get a ds first followed by the Wii, but yazburner makes a fair point about the offers at the end of october. and paper mario will come out by then.

However, its up to you :)

-Rockman

What happens end of October to make there be lots of offers on them??

cus it coming up towards christmass you see, all the shops start competing on prices.

altho gamestation is now owned by game, so theyll probably be the same.

excellent analyst, totally forgot about the takeover :D

toyrus have always got good bundles going around.

excellent analyst, totally forgot about the takeover :D

toyrus have always got good bundles going around.

i only know because i brought 3 xbox 360s bundles in 5 days, and i asked for something free thown in, and they refused and said it wasnt worth ringing head office to ask because it was the middle of the takeover

tight buggers :censor:

Good thinking... :thumbsup:

I've been looking on eBay as well but the prices are about the same as in the shops.... I would have thought due to more availability they'd be a lot cheaper than they are on eBay...

I might just wait til October then, as I want Mario Galaxy more than anything and I can wait to play Zelda.... but I wouldnt buy it from Game... I used to work there many years ago ;)

Save your moneys!!

I had a Wii for a couple of weeks and imo, totally poo pants!! The novelty of the wii-mote soon wears off and gets quite tedious.

"How do you play this game then?....." ........ "aaaah, you wave this thing about" ..... bored already!!!

Sure at first glance and possible first few times you play it you'll think it's great, but nah!

The only reason I would get one is for mario. I had the zelda game and it looked SOOOooooo bad!!I thought, hold on a minute.... I have a Wii here right, not a GC??

The textures were muddy, blurry etc. It looked VERY bad!! The game might have been good, but that just annoyed me to death.

The Wii imo is something you'll play rarely unless you have regular drunken partys.

I had Red Steel

Sonic

Zelda

Also a few others. Nothing really grabbed me though.

Next.........

As for the DS! Stay clear also... pile of poo. My Mrs has one and I think it's pretty pap tbh. Again, the only reason I would play it or have one is for the Mario games, and if Zelda ever came out for it.

Well, I went shopping today and said "Oui"

Just setting it up now, got Zelda with it! :thumbsup:

16.04 - After a few initial telly hiccups, I'm impressed just how easy setting it all up is.... and fun to boot! My wrist will be screwed after this but what the hell!

awesome, glad you got one :thumbsup:

where did you eventually pick the wii from?

just wish I had spare time to play either the ds or wii.

Gamestation in the end, £209.99 with Zelda included. :thumbsup:

I'm loving WiiSports, gave me a proper good workout! Took me a while to get into Zelda (spent 30 mins trying to throw rocks at the effing monkey who nicked the cradle before realising I could summon my eagle!). My name is Colin (ever since Link to the Past on the SNES I name my dude Colin) and my horses name is Artex (the horse in The Neverending Story for the movie buffs!)

I'm now about to head into the dark caverns to rescue the little kid! :thumbsup:

I love the Wii remote & nunchuk though, so easy to use but so original! I can't wait to start downloading some classic games as well! :thumbsup:

You wait until tomorrow morning, you'll be aching like a goodn', especially if you box a lot.

I love our Wii, can get quite addictive on Wii Sports to get to pro status!! We've had ours since before Chrimbo and still play it regularly and play Gamecube games too.

Yeah the boxing was ace fun.... I beat that bloke up good and proper but my arms bloody hurt! It felt like a serious workout!

My friend has been egging me to get one for ages... I'm gonna buy a 2nd controller and take it round her house and do multi-player on WiiSports :thumbsup:

My Wii Sports age is 60 - is that good or bad? :lol:

We had to buy 2 wii remotes and nunchuks. It gets really addictive, and once you've created your own Wii-Mii you can save all your Wii Sports to the wii-remote so if you go to friends you can take 'you' with you!

Gamestation in the end, £209.99 with Zelda included. :thumbsup:

I'm loving WiiSports, gave me a proper good workout! Took me a while to get into Zelda (spent 30 mins trying to throw rocks at the effing monkey who nicked the cradle before realising I could summon my eagle!). My name is Colin (ever since Link to the Past on the SNES I name my dude Colin) and my horses name is Artex (the horse in The Neverending Story for the movie buffs!)

I'm now about to head into the dark caverns to rescue the little kid! :thumbsup:

I love the Wii remote & nunchuk though, so easy to use but so original! I can't wait to start downloading some classic games as well! :thumbsup:

Gamestation are awesome, some of there retro stock they sometimes have are great. not sure if they have any of the retro stuff with the GAME take over.

not keen on the wii sports, but wii play was good. kinda just left the names for zelda as default, link and the horse epona :lol:

zelda on the snes was great, that game was value for money, I thought once I did the first five stages of the game I thought I complete it, but enter the dark world throwing 8 more stages :rolleyes:

definitely wanna download Legend of the Mystical Ninja of goemon on the virtual console :lol:

They do still have some retro stuff - they had a Megadrive for sale in the one in Rugby plus loads of games! I was tempted to get the Playstation they had as well, as I'm a big Playstation fan!

I used to work for Game back when it was Electronics Boutique and I was adamant I didnt want to buy from the group but the only other choice was Currys so it was the lesser of two evils!

Although I wasnt impressed with the knowledge, I asked when Mario Galaxy was out and the guy was like "I dunno" - when we worked for EB we had release sheets which told us the release dates for every game for the next 6 months.

But that was by the by, the Wii is an awesome machine but my arm is very sore this morning! :( I've already decided I want to download Zelda Ocarina of Time, Mario 64 and Donkey Kong Country (SNES) from the Virtual Console! :thumbsup:

Uk/europe game dates are always hard to figure, although he should have givin some kind of approx date like end of nov which when the US version of mario galaxy is getting release there.

mario galaxy already has got my vote:

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=8215

but Iam waiting for smash bros brawl :)

I remember when EB and GAME where seprate shop. then the eb name stop trading and became just GAME, I get a bad feeling that it might happen with gamestation :crybaby:

The one thing I dont like about GAME is they overfill the place with PS2 games, xbox and xbox 360 are taking back seats, they always had a short supply of ds games like there not trying to sell them :(

what year was it that you started working for EB like the megadrive and snes days?

I brought a guys MEGA CD that he brought from gamestation just to play Sonic cd on it :D that intro is just soo awesome. you never know where you might find an odd game gem or two ;)

I already have donkey kong country and mario 64 zelda 64 on there original consoles :lol: donkey kong country looks amazing for its age and what year it was made. there great selection of virtual consoles games you choose :thumbsup:

I started working for EB in 1999 til about 2001, literally just before the takeover of Game and the re-brand.

Playstation era basically :thumbsup:

I saw the launch of the PS2 (total madness!) and the Dreamcast (wholly underrated machine) - I owned both, along with an N64 & my original Playstation and thanks to working where I did, I had loads of really rare games as well. I used to have Ocarina of Time & Mario 64 on my N64, until I sold it. I sold everything and I wish I hadnt now!

When I worked there it was totally Playstation dominant - because everything revolved around Sony back in those days and they could literally do no wrong. They could have brought out the Playstation Poo and it'd sell in bucketloads!

I left just before they rebranded and the only reason they took the Game name was that it was Ronseal - did exactly what it said on the tin. I doubt they will rebrand Gamestation as its a well-known name in its own right, plus if they did most city centres would have three Game shops (old Game shops plus old EB shops plus old Gamestation shops). Coventry has two Games practically next door to each other thanks to the rebranding!

The tables have turned nowadays though - Sonys not the market leader. Microsoft is credible in the gaming industry and Nintendo has brought out a product that's more innovative than both of the others put together. I wouldnt be surprised if sales wise Nintendo is whipping Sony & Microsoft by Christmas! ;)

like the saturn, the dreamcast had better graphics and was much easier to build games then the sony's.

The saturn had expansion ports for ram and mpeg cars (mpeg card is locarted near the back where the Battery was).

It should have been a hit but didnt have software support like sony had and that was the downfall like the dreamcast, I got one myslef.

I heard some staff at GAME where telling people to not buy the DC and wait for the PS2 to get release.

I can understand why you left :(

and like you said, things will change with nintendo and games that are on ps3 will already be on the xbox 360. and who can forget sony's lawsuit on lik-sang:

http://www.lik-sang.com/

surprise that page is still up there :lol:

I left because I hated working in retail! :lol:

We never told anyone to not buy a DC, but a lot of people bought one in the interim and then traded them in for PS2's... we had a lot of 2nd hand Dreamcast consoles!

The DC games were quality though - Soul Calibur was awesome! I'm looking forward to Soul Calibur Legends on the Wii :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links