Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Management Warning Light

ahmedz123

A year ago i had my engine management light come on. I took it to a local garage who had the machine to test it and switch it of. It came up as a fault with a sensor blockage in the cat sysytem. The guy told me to pour something in the tank (cant remember what it was) and it should cure it. The propblem is the light has now come on again. It has come on exactly 1 year after it did last time!!!|Sounds dodgy..can it be set to come back on again after a year by the guy who switched it off?

can it be set to come back on again after a year by the guy who switched it off?

I doubt that!

Which car are we talking about?

You could connect TE1 and E1 (i think) in your DIAG-plug in the enginebay - after that, put the ignition on (without starting the engine!!), your engine light will start blinking - count those blinks, these are the error codes :)

A year ago i had my engine management light come on. I took it to a local garage who had the machine to test it and switch it of. It came up as a fault with a sensor blockage in the cat sysytem. The guy told me to pour something in the tank (cant remember what it was) and it should cure it. The propblem is the light has now come on again. It has come on exactly 1 year after it did last time!!!|Sounds dodgy..can it be set to come back on again after a year by the guy who switched it off?

Not really, you can reset the light by removing the efi fuse for 10 secs, if the light does reappear than a fault exists

• 2 months later...

Not really, you can reset the light by removing the efi fuse for 10 secs, if the light does reappear than a fault exists

Mine was the Lambda sensor behind the CAT if this helps. Got a replacement from scrapyard.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2000 toyota corolla VVTI, and the Malfunction Indicator Light has come on. I saw another thread in the the Carina owners section that had the following link with codes, using the flashing indicator

http://carina-e.com/main/page.php?17

My question is - is this the same for toyota corollas? And how do I get the Malfunction Indicator Light to flash and give me the code?

Thanks

• 9 months later...
I have a 2000 toyota corolla VVTI, and the Malfunction Indicator Light has come on. I saw another thread in the the Carina owners section that had the following link with codes, using the flashing indicator

My question is - is this the same for toyota corollas? And how do I get the Malfunction Indicator Light to flash and give me the code?

Thanks

mine has that light on together with the low fuel light as well when i was on the way to the petrol station, but when I fill the tank it was only 39 litre, but the light still goes on on the way home. I used to got a lockersmith for my losing keys which has reset my ECU before, just only when the first time i turn the ignition on the light went off, since then the malfunction indicator light didnt go off until this time

Hello

Not wishing to 'take over' thread but I think some people have got mixed up/confused regards 'fault code reading' on Toyotas:

(Hope no offence will be caused in my explanation :!Removed!: )

The member with the original problem :

ahmedz123 Posted Aug 21 2007, 11:21 PM

Has a post 2001 car thus his electronic/ECU/vehicle system will be OBD2/EOBD (On Board Diagnostics 2nd Generation / European On Board Diagnostics) compliant. Thus the only way to 'read' faults is with a Fault code reader

So ...

Smølfen Posted Aug 22 2007, 06:23 AM

You could connect TE1 and E1 (i think) in your DIAG-plug in the enginebay - after that, put the ignition on (without starting the engine!!), your engine light will start blinking - count those blinks, these are the error codes

And ...

7afe Posted Aug 27 2007, 07:36 AM

...would NOT work on a EOBD/OBD2/post 2001 car - plus there is NO under bonnet diagnostic socket on the post 2001 vehicles instead there is the '16 pin' socket under the steering column area - which (as said before) requires a OBD2/EOBD fault code reader.

However what Smolfen and 7afe have said is absolutely Correct and useful regards late 80'S and most 90'S Toyotas. :thumbsup:

So YES this about the Carina thread is Correct ... for 80s and 90s tin

Corolla 2000 Posted Feb 15 2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks

...but unfortunately a 2000 model year Corolla may be on the 'Change over' (typical :rolleyes: ) so the member in question needs to see if there is a diagnosis socket by the suspension turret - it even says so on lid. And if not then to see if there is a '16 pin' socket under the stearing column area - which will involve the purchase of a OBD2/EOBD fault code reader.

I hope my mad ramblings have helped :unsure:

Thanks

mine has that light on together with the low fuel light as well when i was on the way to the petrol station, but when I fill the tank it was only 39 litre, but the light still goes on on the way home. I used to got a lockersmith for my losing keys which has reset my ECU before, just only when the first time i turn the ignition on the light went off, since then the malfunction indicator light didnt go off until this time

jus went to do a computer diagnosis, it's the lambda sensor

• 2 years later...

Hi, i know this is an old thread but if any1s listening help would be much appreciated.

ive got a 97 1.6 leanburn carina e with some problems, idle speed way too high when cold and very jumpy but low when hot, drinking petrol,sudden surges and drops when accellerating or decelerating etc etc.

ive put in new plugs, and a new engine temp sensor which seem to help a bit but now the engine light is on. im thinking lambda sensor but im not sure.put some injector cleaner in the tank aswell today but i must drive it a bit to see if that helps.

my questions are;

1, since mine is a pre 2001 model and has the diagnostic port under the bonnet near the right suspension can i "connect Te1 and E1 and count the blinks" as suggested above to get the error code?

2, are the codes the same as this thread http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98886&st=0&p=903349&h

And 3, if is a problem with the lambda sensor, would cleaning it help at all?

Lots of thanks if any1 has any ideas :)

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links