Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem With Reverse Gear

angiebaby

Hi everyone. I bought a new Aygo Black in the middle of April and have just come on here to say that on Friday my car would not go into reverse gear. It kept popping out. I phoned Pinkstones Toyota who didn't seem interested and told me to ring the Club Toyota Recovery via RAC. It had to be towed to the garage and I've had to fork out money for a hire car for the fuel deposit but should get that back.

Anyway, I'm totally disgusted about the gear problem. I must admit it has always been tricky to find reverse gear but put that down to the fact that it was in the opposite place to my old VW (why didn't I stay with them?!). I've only had the car for 5 months and just done over 1,000 miles. This car is tainted now, I don't trust it any more. Also, the rubber mats that I bought as an extra slip forwards and stick under the clutch every so often.... very annoying.

Another grumble... as stated above, I bought the rubber mats and side bumpers as an extra but, after a few weeks, started to notice unsightly white marks on the side bumpers, mirrors where they had decided to wax the plastic too... I complained about it and took it in for a clean and they said they would be able to get the marks off but they just waxed it again in the same slap dash fashion.

At the moment the hire car I have got is a Peugeot 307... love it!!! Shame it has to go back....

I shall be giving the Toyota garage what for when I go in to see them about my car. They haven't even contacted me to tell me when they will be able to look at my car. I have had to ring them!

Has anybody else had problems with the gears??

No , i have always managed to find Reverse ok,( its 5th i struggle with but thats just me being new to driving and not needed to use 5th much ) , i cant fault my Aygo in Any way :)

Sorry that you're having so much hassle with it ...

well, not long ago, in fact the beginning of june we took delivery of a brand new aygo, noticed a burning sort of smell on occassions when we tried putting it into reverse, but that was a multi mode... when it went in for tests the first time they didnt notice but the clutch had burnt out :o and needed to be replaced... we've since replaced it with an '07 five door metallic black car :P... we had to fork out for it... but i wasnt happy that this had happened so quickly in a brand new car

as for the renting of the car, toyota paid for us to rent ours!... i dont understand why you had to pay out for that!... the car is obviously under warranty, i would look into this if i was you and try to claim back, because you dont know how long you are going to need the rental car for... keep us posted!!! x

The hire car was arranged through Club Toyota but I had to pay £50 upfront as a fuel deposit and the car had to be returned with a full tank of fuel in order to get the deposit back. Actually, when I picked the car up on Friday night I was told that although the tank is full it doesn't show up as full on the gauge. The line goes just below. I returned it in the same state having filled it up with just under £7. The bloke who picked it up said he didn't believe what the other bloke had said about the tank and said it wasn't up to the line. I phoned later and found out they have charged me £6 cos he filled it up more. The other bloke told me that they fill the tank up until they see the petrol not until the pump clicks off but I was hardly going to do that!! So now I am annoyed that I've had to pay £13 in total and I only did 56 miles in the hire car!!! What's that... 23p a mile?! I rang up to complain and they said they would refund the money but I don't believe they will. I'm sick of being ripped off with cars.

Looks like more trashy rip off customer services. Keep us posted

I'd chill out a little. Your car has developed a fault the cause of which is unknown. It was taken to the garage on a Friday and on a Monday you are complaining that it's not fixed. The car won't have been looked at until Saturday at the earliest, if the parts are not in stock it will take a day for them to arrive then they need to be fitted - all this needs to be done around pre-booked work.

Is your mat fixed to the lug in the floor? This will stop it moving around.

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have to say that your Aygo is being fixed free of charge and you have use of a car in the meantime. You do need to be a bit reasonable about how long it will take to fix - I would have thought a week is about right.

You do have cause to complain about the fuel (not the deposit the filling up) if this doesn't get sorted just show them the petrol receipt - they should have the mileage recorded at drop off and return so they can see how many miles you've done and how much fuel you put in.

I have the carpet mats which have the hole in them which secures them to the floor - I dont know if the rubber ones have this ?

When all is settled with the car perhaps you could mention this to the dealer and given the inconevenice you have been caused they might do a good price for some carpet mats.

I've never let a dealer clean my car and I'm always careful but my mirrors are also turning white - I'm sure the wax you mention may have contributed but just to let you know that they do go like that anyway

Good luck anyway . .

as for the renting of the car, toyota paid for us to rent ours!... i dont understand why you had to pay out for that!... the car is obviously under warranty,

Just for advice, and don't shoot the messenger! :rolleyes:

Car hire is NOT an entitlement under warranty, most dealers will help out with a loan car etc at little or no charge (maybe insurance charge etc) but there is no obligation to supply you with one. My colleague took his daughters car in to a Vauxhall dealer for warranty repairs and was shown the car hire department next door, "I'm sorry sir, we don't loan cars, you can hire one with pleasure from our hire dept" With the associated costs.......of course

Kingo :thumbsup:

Most Dutch Toyota Dealers provide you with a bicycle for free (if you reserve it beforehand),

but a loan car has to be paid for. How much depends on what you loan; an Aygo, Yaris or Auris...

as for the renting of the car, toyota paid for us to rent ours!... i dont understand why you had to pay out for that!... the car is obviously under warranty,

Just for advice, and don't shoot the messenger! :rolleyes:

Car hire is NOT an entitlement under warranty, most dealers will help out with a loan car etc at little or no charge (maybe insurance charge etc) but there is no obligation to supply you with one. My colleague took his daughters car in to a Vauxhall dealer for warranty repairs and was shown the car hire department next door, "I'm sorry sir, we don't loan cars, you can hire one with pleasure from our hire dept" With the associated costs.......of course

serious? ... well i dont know how we managed it but we got ours paid for by the dealer! ... :rolleyes: ... ummm :unsure: sorry if i gave you 'wrong' advise angie ... but with a new car you dont expect to get problems do you? (even though we did) ... maybe this should be looked into further then ... :unsure:

and about your friend Parts-King ... **may that be a lesson to us, never to buy a vauxhall :o ** haha

am sorry i personally think new or old car.. whether is an £8,000 city car or £350,000 supercar you can not guarentee nothing going wrong,its just down to the individual garage to deal with it the best they can but they are not magicians and cant fix things instantly, i do recall listers lending me a demo car or something tho when mine went in for the day. am sorry you have lost faith in the aygo and my mats slip and annoy me too I hope you get the problems sorted.

Most Dutch Toyota Dealers provide you with a bicycle for free (if you reserve it beforehand),

but a loan car has to be paid for. How much depends on what you loan; an Aygo, Yaris or Auris...

The next time we have a "screamer" of a customer on the counter, I will point him/her towards the company 3 speed parts delivery bike..................... Wait for the sparks to fly................... :D :D :D

I like the idea of the bike: It's only 20 minutes pedaling from my

garage to work and I'd rather bike 2x20 minutes for free than

drive an Aygo for 2x10minutes and paying £15 for that...

The collar around the cable had sheared off which in turn made the clip fall off. New cables and clips fitted. Works a treat now. ;)

Never seen it happen before but as said above.... there will always be problems with cars that cannot be foreseen.

Mart

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links