Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windscreen Washers Not Washing!

alhendo1

Hi there.can anyone help please? My 2002 avensis 1.8vvti hatchs' windscreen washers are playing up. The symptoms are as follows.... When you pull the stalk for the front windscreen washers no fluid comes out the jets on the bonnet(not even a trickle) and there is no noise either, although the wipers still sweep. The rear washer jet works fine and the wiper sweeps. I had a quick look at the set up under the bonnet , but the washer bottle is tucked away under the wing area. Anyone any ideas what it could be? is there a fuse for the washer pump itself, cause I couldn't find it(only the one for wipers.) Are there two seperate pumps for front and rear washers? How do i get into the fluid bottle under the wing.Any ideas/instructions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.Alan. :(

Hi there.can anyone help please? My 2002 avensis 1.8vvti hatchs' windscreen washers are playing up. The symptoms are as follows.... When you pull the stalk for the front windscreen washers no fluid comes out the jets on the bonnet(not even a trickle) and there is no noise either, although the wipers still sweep. The rear washer jet works fine and the wiper sweeps. I had a quick look at the set up under the bonnet , but the washer bottle is tucked away under the wing area. Anyone any ideas what it could be? is there a fuse for the washer pump itself, cause I couldn't find it(only the one for wipers.) Are there two seperate pumps for front and rear washers? How do i get into the fluid bottle under the wing.Any ideas/instructions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.Alan. :(

Almost certainly a single washer pump for front and rear; it spins the opposite way to pump to the front vs the rear. Sometimes fail in one direction first, then the other, and other times they just fail completely all at once.

Sorry, not sure about fuses or access for your car; on my Celica you have to remove the wheel arch liner to get at the pump. But it's probably just pushed into the bottle so if you can get a hand to it anyhow you can probably remove it. Note that when it's removed all the washer fluid will leak out, so have something to catch it; I wouldn't re-use it, but wouldn't want it spilled all over the garage either.

Motors are about £50 from Toyota, but they seem to be fairly interchangeable between cars, so getting one from a scrappy is a possibility.

Halfords etc sell replacements for most cars for £10 to £20, but they rarely fit Toyotas; looks to me like the pump bodies are fairly common between manufacturers but the Toyota wiring connections are different, so you could probably use a Halfords pump if you were prepared to alter the wiring to suit.

Almost certainly a single washer pump for front and rear; it spins the opposite way to pump to the front vs the rear. Sometimes fail in one direction first, then the other, and other times they just fail completely all at once.

Sorry, not sure about fuses or access for your car; on my Celica you have to remove the wheel arch liner to get at the pump. But it's probably just pushed into the bottle so if you can get a hand to it anyhow you can probably remove it. Note that when it's removed all the washer fluid will leak out, so have something to catch it; I wouldn't re-use it, but wouldn't want it spilled all over the garage either.

Motors are about £50 from Toyota, but they seem to be fairly interchangeable between cars, so getting one from a scrappy is a possibility.

Halfords etc sell replacements for most cars for £10 to £20, but they rarely fit Toyotas; looks to me like the pump bodies are fairly common between manufacturers but the Toyota wiring connections are different, so you could probably use a Halfords pump if you were prepared to alter the wiring to suit.

You're welcome. Good luck.

All> Any owners out there know the easiest way to get to the pump on the Avensis?

hi again. set about stripping the right side undertray and the front part of the right side wheelarch liner off and as you said.....hey presto....one washer pump bottle.fixed into the bottom of it are TWO seperate washer pumps with a tube coming out of each one. checked the working rear one against the front washer jet tube and they're working again, so its the pump at fault. as you said, all the fluid drained out(wet leg.) so the offending pump has been removed and I will source a replacement one way or another. put undertray etc back together and broke a couple of liner clips and have one screw left........not bad really.....again thanks for your help.....cheers.alan. :P

Yes the avensis do have 2 washer pumps/motors.

I did have a toyota washer pump but im not sure what it is for. I can have a look and let you know if its the correct fitment for avensis if you like?

Did you also check that the 'working' pump still works when connected to the 'non working' pumps wiring? Just to make sure that it isnt the wiring at fault really. Also they are switched earth when checking :)

Mart

Glad you managed to get access to it, fixing the problem shouldn't be that difficult from there. Good tips from moonstone mart re checking the problem really is the motor.

I'm amazed it has two pumps; haven't seen that on a car for ages. One pump does the job perfectly well on so many cars, and has the benefit of fewer components and less weight so I just assumed that all modern cars have a single pump. Frankly it amazes me that Toyota would use a single pump on so many cars, then change the design and use twin pumps for another car, unless there's a very good reason for it, and I can't think of one. Oh well, live and learn.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes the avensis do have 2 washer pumps/motors.

I did have a toyota washer pump but im not sure what it is for. I can have a look and let you know if its the correct fitment for avensis if you like?

Did you also check that the 'working' pump still works when connected to the 'non working' pumps wiring? Just to make sure that it isnt the wiring at fault really. Also they are switched earth when checking :)

Mart

Thanks for the advice from all concerned.I checked it as you said and its all working now.Sorry for the delay in replying......time sort of ran away with me, but your advice was appreciated. Now if it would just stop burning oil.............

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links