Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Pressure Light Stays On For About 3 Seconds

stu306

Should I worry?

My 97 Gen 6 Jap import has just started to do this. When I first start the engine from cold the oil pressure light stays on for about 3 seconds. Is this a sign that I should be looking to replace something. Let me know if anyone has any Ideas. There is no leaks at all on the engine and no performace or noise issues.

Not being funny but is there any oil in it? If there is oil, and you get no knocking noises on start up, then it could be a faulty switch, you could do with a pressure test to rule this out

Kingo :thumbsup:

I thought that this was normal? I have oil in Kiya (I check very often) and light comes on when car starts and then goes out after a few seconds???

Alternative is something like the pressure relief valve in the pump sticking open so maybe taking a few seconds longer to build up pressure or oil draining back to the sump due to wear in the pump itself.

Does it have a genuine oil filter, cheap filters dont have a non return valve in them, and the oil runs out overnight

Kingo :thumbsup:

try changing the oil, if the oil has lost its viscosity it may take a little longer to run round the engine as its too thin for the oil pump to move it round the engine, so to speak, if you already done this try more expensive oil like £30 or so, if that fails you could take the sump off, and check the oil pick up incase that is getting blocked :thumbsup: or the pumps on it way out :( hope this helps

Thanks for all the comments, oil is topped up to the max was changed along with filter in Feb. Will run a flushing oil through it. Refresh the filter and oil and drop a comment on the outcome.

Sorted.. Thanks for all comments.

Ran a flushing oil through and changed oil and filter. Seems to have done the trick.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links