Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problems With Toyota Avensis

theskyatnightpm

I'M NEW TO TOYATA CARS, ALWAYS BOUGHT VAUXHALL !! Anyway this AVENSIS MD03 bought 3 months ago ,has had problem with doorlock (rear) ,new lock required,, then steering rack screamed ,when full lock was on ,now repaired and then I got a puncture, and discovered in the spare wheel department ,water to the depth of 6 inches,also discovered that the wheel pockets either side of the rear were also flooded to the same depth !!!! MY vauxhalls never had this problem, so have I got a ROGUE TOYATA as they are supposed to be a very good car, but I have never seen as many problems with any car I ever owned before.... HELP ??? and thanks

I was just about to raise a post asking about the virtues (or otherwise) of the current Avensis and then I read yours. I'm absolutely horrified. Do I read you correctly - you have a current model Avensis with a squeaky steering rack?

I bought a 10 month old Avensis Vermont 1.8 in February 2002. Whilst, on the one hand, it has been a superb car (comfortable, plenty of toys etc, fuel economy has been outstandingly good), it has also been the worst car I have ever owned. Previously had Vauhalls and prior to the Avensis a gas guzzling Mondeo automatic.

Why is it the worst? Well, during the almost 6 years I have owned it, it has had three new steering racks and the current one still squeaks, input shaft bearing replaced in the gearbox, a new brake caliper (£405 for the part alone) and, on top of that, to my mind it burns oil like its going out of fashion although I must admit that, at a litre every 2,000 miles, mine is a lot better that some of the other horror stories on this forum. All the work mentioned above has been covered by warranty or extended warranty I'm glad to say. The car has now done just over 103,000 miles. These faults are such a shame because the car is such a joy otherwise.

I really can't get my head around the oil consumption issue. I've rarely had to buy oil before except for oil changes. A colleague of mine owns a Honda Accord which has done 84,000 miles and has never needed a top up.

Would I buy another Avensis? I'd like to but the jury is still well and truly out.

I have been buying Toyota's for many years and the Avensis is a mixed bag it is the most comfortable and best looking Toyota I have owned but it has also been the most unreliable Toyota I have owned .

It put me off buying another Avensis but as the dealer I use are fantastic I bought a different Toyota model ,Some of the problems were tyres needed to be replaced at 12,000 miles ,steering racks replaced .tailgate struts needed to be replaced .problem with vcs lights staying on ,slight intermittent clutch judder, very poor dipped headlights !!! but in fairness to Toyota any problems were quickly sorted out under the warranty and they also gave customers affected by the steering rack recall a bottle of champagne

I have been buying Toyota's for many years and the Avensis is a mixed bag it is the most comfortable and best looking Toyota I have owned but it has also been the most unreliable Toyota I have owned .

It put me off buying another Avensis but as the dealer I use are fantastic I bought a different Toyota model ,Some of the problems were tyres needed to be replaced at 12,000 miles ,steering racks replaced .tailgate struts needed to be replaced .problem with vcs lights staying on ,slight intermittent clutch judder, very poor dipped headlights !!! but in fairness to Toyota any problems were quickly sorted out under the warranty and they also gave customers affected by the steering rack recall a bottle of champagne

Sorry to hear that so many are having problems (anyone able to sing any praises??). I had a Volvo 945 and could not think of any 'new' Volvo to buy so ended up with a Toyota Tourer D4D (my other choice was Honda Accord) as I wanted something 'reliable' rather than flashy. The Volvo never gave me any grief, the odd exhaust, new discs and pads etc. Great Car and above all had a huge 'square' (read = usable) boot. Anyway to date the Avensis has been fine, still not quite used to driving a diesel. Boot is OK but when you do need lots of space its not shaped ideally but then again not many others are these days as they are designed to be l'ifestyley' rather than to be loadluggers. Seat cover materials is shocking, gets messy just looking at it (have 2 girls), the Volvo could take anything thrown at it. Again all cars are the same, have a friends who has VW, Fords and Vauxhalls, they are all the same. I have also unfortunately had a dent on the bonnet ( after 5 weeks) done by small boy next door (I think) throwing a stone, not big enought to have re-sprayed but enough for me to see everytime I wash the car. It is however going in for body repair on the tail gate as some 'looser' with a 4x4 must have reversed his/her spare wheel into the boot. No big damage but I still have to pay £150 n excess as the plonker drove away.

Apart from that I am happy and especially with the service from the local Toyota dealer here in the Borders, very nice. Had it in for a 30K service in November and they replaced rear discs,pads plus front pads under warranty as the discs were corroded. To me they looked fine. So there you go sofar so good, lets hope it will stay that way. I miss my Volvo (best seats you can get...) but do like the Avensis, easy to drive, great engine and above all the kids and wife like it so long journeys are bliss.

Until next year..

I'M NEW TO TOYATA CARS, ALWAYS BOUGHT VAUXHALL !! Anyway this AVENSIS MD03 bought 3 months ago ,has had problem with doorlock (rear) ,new lock required,, then steering rack screamed ,when full lock was on ,now repaired and then I got a puncture, and discovered in the spare wheel department ,water to the depth of 6 inches,also discovered that the wheel pockets either side of the rear were also flooded to the same depth !!!! MY vauxhalls never had this problem, so have I got a ROGUE TOYATA as they are supposed to be a very good car, but I have never seen as many problems with any car I ever owned before.... HELP ??? and thanks

Thanks for the reply,this AVENSIS has only got 48.000 miles on the clock, but I have a feeling about this car, yes !!! on a 2006 MOT it was described as a PETROL car, which of course it is not !!!. So I will get back to the dealer on Wednesday ,after the holidays,see what they have to say...... regards and thanks for your comments..Patrick

I'm not the only one who has been unlucky then.

I considered the honda accord as well Pjotr, but went for the Toyota as i had owned an old Lexus LS400 which I loved. I figured being nearly 10 years newer than the Lex it would be reliable.

Since owning the car for 4 months I have had a few problems.

- VSC, engine check and Traction light came on. One time I reset by clearing the Battery, the 2nd time I paid a dealer to run diags.

They charged me £40 to reset the code after diagnosing 4 x glowplugs and "software update" required.

- Starting problems when cold, since I bought the car. Glowplugs made no difference so could be the starter not going fast enough

- Heavy/ squeaky clutch pedal (like driving a tank) Which can be temporarily fixed by applying lube to the shaft as it goes through the bulkhead.

(the problem comes back after about a week.)

- The headlights are crap so I changed the bulbs for an HID kit which makes them better, but whoever designed the headlights needs shooting.

The access is ridiculous and the light output is below average for a modern car.

- The multifunction/ satnav display showed --- when I first got the car and wouldn't update. This was remedied by the Toyota technician "turning it on properly" I asked what he'd done and was told he was on holiday and would call me back. I've never heard from then again. Except from when my MOT was due and they wanted my money ( I went elsewhere) The fault randomly occurred once since then and went away on it's own.

- Last week in a multi storey carpark smoke poured out from under the bonnet and I still don't know why.

In short, I wish i'd bought the Honda.

I'm actually in the process of trying to send this shed back to the dealer I bought it from.

Toyota are famous for reliability but i've never had as many problems with a car.

:crybaby:

I considered the honda accord as well Pjotr, but went for the Toyota as i had owned an old Lexus LS400 which I loved. I figured being nearly 10 years newer than the Lex it would be reliable.

- VSC, engine check and Traction light came on. One time I reset by clearing the battery, the 2nd time I paid a dealer to run diags.

They charged me £40 to reset the code after diagnosing 4 x glowplugs and "software update" required.

- Starting problems when cold, since I bought the car. Glowplugs made no difference so could be the starter not going fast enough

- Heavy/ squeaky clutch pedal (like driving a tank) Which can be temporarily fixed by applying lube to the shaft as it goes through the bulkhead.

- The headlights are crap so I changed the bulbs for an HID kit which makes them better, but whoever designed the headlights needs shooting.

The access is ridiculous and the light output is below average for a modern car.

- The multifunction/ satnav display showed --- when I first got the car and wouldn't update. This was remedied by the Toyota technician "turning it on properly" I asked what he'd done and was told he was on holiday and would call me back. I've never heard from then again. Except from when my MOT was due and they wanted my money ( I went elsewhere) The fault randomly occurred once since then and went away on it's own.

- Last week in a multi storey carpark smoke poured out from under the bonnet and I still don't know why.

I'm actually in the process of trying to send this shed back to the dealer I bought it from.

Toyota are famous for reliability but i've never had as many problems with a car.

Sorry you also have problems, maybe they will be resolved in 2008..regards Patrick

I am on my 4th toyota , 1 corolla, 2 carina e TD , 1 03 D4D facelift model. The first 3 all used has taxis, spending on the corolla in 3 years excluding servicing,£1650.00 miles done 190,000 ,1st carina only used for 8 months then had a fall out with a bus and lost , spending on carina excluding servicing 1 alternator £140.00 miles done 65,000. 2nd carina e TD will have been used for 3 years 3 months in march in this time apart from servicing all its had is alternator,starter motor , water pump, 2 clutches, 3 sets of link bars, front electric window switch pannel , 1 steering rack end arm,15 sets of tyres , miles done 335,000 . just to add the council tests our taxis 4 times a year very thoughly (have been known to fail cars on electric windows not going up fast enough). Only had the face lift one for 6 weeks so carnt really say, other drivers who have them say the carina was built better if i could have found a low milage Carina e in white ,estate and diesel then i would have had it

- VSC, engine check and Traction light came on. One time I reset by clearing the battery, the 2nd time I paid a dealer to run diags.

Sorry you also have problems, maybe they will be resolved in 2008..regards Patrick

Great news, my dealer has taken the car back for a refurbishment, has loaned me an AUDI and will start the warranty off again when the TOYOTA AVENSIS is returned to me in A1 condition...Also has given me his mobile number in case anything goes wrong again !! And has offered to change the car if I am still not happy , no wonder he has the greatest reputation in NORTHERN IRELAND for car dealership...regards Patrick

Old Hackney Carriage Toyotas are a best buy..

I am taking one off in march you can have it for a small fee??. Done about 345 thou by then still does 42 to the gallon and nippy with it ,

Old Hackney Carriage Toyotas are a best buy..

I am taking one off in march you can have it for a small fee??. Done about 345 thou by then still does 42 to the gallon and nippy with it ,

- Ive just taken one off, and decided to keep it as a home car, rather then sell it.

- on the otherside, I am sure it will have plenty of demand

THIS MY FIRST POST hello to everyone iam hopeing someone can help me i have wanted a toyota avensis since they came out i got one just before xmas an late 03 the car was ok un till last week now it wont start when its warm it

will start ist thing in the morn but if i knock it off it wont start again i was told it was the starter then the injectiors then it

would be £3000 to fix please can any one help the best answer up to now i have had is it could be a cut off

switch somewere in the engine has any one heard of this if so were is it i heard off cars not startin when cold but not when they are warm help i look forward to all replys hope its not £3000 grand to fix i payed 5k for the car

yours oneill

i have had and still having ( niggling ) problem with my toyota. again i got my avensis for reliability not flashiness. mine seems to burn oil ( did not think to much of it until i saw it was happening to someone else) and screeching steering ( but by reading some of these posts i fear maybe worse than i thought) but the avensis is comfortable and even though mine has caused trouble it still emits an air of reliability . on long journeys the avensis is alway chosen over the girlfriends golf . because she has just developed the vw curse. her dashboard resembles a xmas tree more than anything else with all the warning lights that sporadically appear.

My avensis is like my mother..... it !Removed! and moans every so often but i would not trade her in!

THIS MY FIRST POST hello to everyone iam hopeing someone can help me i have wanted a toyota avensis since they came out i got one just before xmas an late 03 the car was ok un till last week now it wont start when its warm it

will start ist thing in the morn but if i knock it off it wont start again i was told it was the starter then the injectiors then it

would be £3000 to fix please can any one help the best answer up to now i have had is it could be a cut off

switch somewere in the engine has any one heard of this if so were is it i heard off cars not startin when cold but not when they are warm help i look forward to all replys hope its not £3000 grand to fix i payed 5k for the car

yours oneill

Hi mate, not saying this is definitely your problem but it seems like your starter motor to me too.

There's loads of people who have had similar symptoms to you and it turned out to be the starter motor (try doing a forum search).

Good luck getting it sorted mate and as for £3000, tell them to **** off ;) .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links