Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Programming Spare Key

98avensis

:rolleyes: Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, thanks in advance for your help!

I have a 2001 'X' registered Rav4 with a two button remote key, if I where to buy a 2nd-hand key from eBay is it possible to program it to unlock the car and start the car, if so how much does it cost? Do the keys have transponders fitted? Or is it just a case of programming the remote buttons?

Thanks alot

Paul :lol:

Hello Paul,

Welcome to TOC.

I assume this is a second generation RAV (4.2)?. The keys are certainly meant to contain a transponder, but I couldn't say whether the ones on eBay do. I've looked at what 4.2 info I have, but I don't seem to have any key programming info. Sorry :(

Cheers

Hi shcm :rolleyes:

Thanks for your advice, it is a newer shaper Rav 4 2.0 GX, I think it's a great car!

What I'm hoping to do is buy a complete 2nd-hand key from eBay and a new blade (it appears to be as cheap to buy a key body with blade) get the blade cut to fit the car, the remote buttons programmed to the car, then the transponder programmed too. I presume this is a Toyota only job?

Thanks again :D

Paul

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links