Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Doesn This Just Do Your Head In

marty32

had my tsport just coming up to a year now, last week another niggly fault reared its head.

just totting up i must of had the car back to mr t about 8 or 9 times.... is this me or should this not be happening on a car with 40000 miles on the clock

ive had alarm problems, oil usage problems, brake problems, a new water pump, fuel hatch, paintwork just to name a few and now i think i have a wheel bearing on its way out.

my warranties out in 4 weeks cant see me keeping this car. thought it had been sorted out when i was in for service but i cant go past 2 months before some other thing rears its ugly head.

any body else had similar numbers of problems

The only thing I thinks worth going to toyota about is the squeaky clutch. I’ve had the car over a year now and never had to go back to Toyota.

i had a celica before this and it never went back in 2 years other than servicing thats why i stuck with toyota

I agree with you marty. I've had a Yaris t-sport pretty much from new and expected trouble free motoring. But I've been back and forth to dealers more times than any other car I've owned in the past for like for niggly faults and a new set of alloys cos the first ones rusted away (and these ones are showing signs already). The car's only on 14K miles.

Toyota have this reputation for reliability - i.e. they aren't known for breaking down - but thats not the same as having good build quality, not at all. I don't think I'll be buying another Toyota again.

I don’t think you can build an educated opinion of a car manufacturer from one bad experience. The vast majority of Toyota owners I assume are quite happy with their cars, otherwise Toyota wouldn’t have cars at the top of the list of most reliable car surveys year after year.

About the alloys, I’ve driven about 70k miles on 4 different sets of alloys since I started driven, and none of them showed signs of rusting. Either you live in a area with a high concentration of acid rain or salt, the dealer gave you some duds or you just don’t wash them properly.

id agree with that...... me and my dad both have corollas dads had his 9 mths its been back once and that was a blown fuse, i think ive got whats referred to as a friday afternoon car with no of faults ive reported

as for the alloy wheels ive heard of and seen a number of threads about alloys rusting.... id be tempted to buy an aftermarket set.

as for me im looking into the possibility of another celica, seen a 54 reg tsport for 9500 that looks tempting i must admit

had my last 1 for 2 years it was great fun to drive and very reliable and was pretty good on fuel for an 1800 cc engine.

it's all down to three words at the top of you'r windscreen MADE IN BRITAIN, i'v had eleven other Toyotas all made Japan and not one problem but the cts been back 4/5 times and i'm just not used to it.

I don’t think you can build an educated opinion of a car manufacturer from one bad experience. The vast majority of Toyota owners I assume are quite happy with their cars, otherwise Toyota wouldn’t have cars at the top of the list of most reliable car surveys year after year.

About the alloys, I’ve driven about 70k miles on 4 different sets of alloys since I started driven, and none of them showed signs of rusting. Either you live in a area with a high concentration of acid rain or salt, the dealer gave you some duds or you just don’t wash them properly.

Get your facts right!! Toyota and Lexus alloys are well known for bubbling. Its nothing to do with acid rain or living by the seaside. In fact they rust from the inside out. I know because I cleaned my new set fastidiuosly every week and polished them regularly and NEVER used acidic wheel cleaners. Most Yaris t-sport ones are notorious for it.

And blutto - my Yaris was made in Japan but the build quality is still woeful.

Ok then fair enough, never actually knew about this or heard anyone complain about it. If you feel rusting alloys on and a few other niggly faults on your Yaris pushes you to never buying another Toyota, i guess thats up to you.

I hear what you're saying but I've had problems with other things than the alloys. The problem is that everyone puts Toyota on a pedestal and so everones expectations are high. Given the massive cost of cars, I don't believe in giving car manufacturers a second chance. Toyota have (sadly I must say) fallen well below my expectation. I read the Aygo, Yaris and Corolla forums on here and you do come across A LOT of niggly faults on cars that aren't very old. I know thats true of all manufacturers but I don't think Toyota deserve to be seen as the pinnacle of reliability!! I've honestly had less hassle with the Fords I used to own haha!

I've never put Toyota on a pedastal. If insurance wasnt an issue i wouldnt even own one right now. Theres alot of things i dont like about my car but you get what you pay for. Alot of people say you get alot more for your money with a T-sport than you do with a CTR or LCR but I strongly disagree. Toyota (now a days) is just a budget car manufacturer, the residual value of their cars are very poor but at the same time they arent very expensive in the first place. Apart from maybe Hyundai, Kia or Skoda theres no other cars in the same price bracket that are more reliable IMO.

If you want a completely problem free car, then you ain't gonna get one... the closest japanese car you'll get to it tho will be a Honda...

I've never put Toyota on a pedastal. If insurance wasnt an issue i wouldnt even own one right now. Theres alot of things i dont like about my car but you get what you pay for. Alot of people say you get alot more for your money with a T-sport than you do with a CTR or LCR but I strongly disagree. Toyota (now a days) is just a budget car manufacturer, the residual value of their cars are very poor but at the same time they arent very expensive in the first place. Apart from maybe Hyundai, Kia or Skoda theres no other cars in the same price bracket that are more reliable IMO.

Interesting point about Toyota being a budget brand. You could well be right the way things are going with their build quality. Its a shame Hyundai and Kia don't make warm or hot hatches. Skoda have the vRS of course and I must say I'm tempted by a mk1 Fabia vRS but they really hold their money well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links