Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Vvt-i Automatic Gear Problems

boobecca

Hey there,

I have a 2004 Yaris VVT-I automatic, it has been until now very reliable. Yesterday when driving it i stopped at some traffic lights, when they went green i pressed down on the accelerator and the car reved but did not move. On the dashboard a red symbol which looked like a cog with an ! mark inside it appeared. Rang the RAC 90 min wait so decided to try and start it again, it went about 200 meters and then the same thing happened again.

Seeing as it was freezing left the engine running and the symbol went after I had started the car up again for a 3rd time. Sods law when the RAC showed up he didn't know what the problem was so he followed me and it didn't cut out again.

The toyota garage where i am located does not deal with automatic cars and i dont really want to pay someone £60 to stick in a diagnostic. Someone mentioned that it may be the oil in the gearbox which needs topping up, but i dont know.

I dont really want to be caught out again especially if im on my own.

So if one has any ideas that would be great

cheers

bec :help:

Hiya,

When you say a "red cog with a ! in it" - the handbrake light is a red circle with a ! in it and it has a bracket on either side so could it have been that? They also have an engine management light which is orange too.

Hiya,

When you say a "red cog with a ! in it" - the handbrake light is a red circle with a ! in it and it has a bracket on either side so could it have been that? They also have an engine management light which is orange too.

On the current model Yaris, a red cog with exclamation mark inside is "Multi-mode manual transmission warning light".

Its not the hand break cause thats a normal circle with a ! and appears on the left hand side of the dashboard. This is a cog shape with a ! on the right hand side and only ever appears in red. It comes on as when the car first starts then disappears after 5 seconds, when the car is running normally. I have lost my manual and dont know what its is but i know its not the hand break light.

Multi-mode manual transmission warning light- pandemonium what does it actually mean thiugh?

Multi-mode manual transmission warning light- pandemonium what does it actually mean thiugh?

Well, I would guess there's something wrong with the gearbox or the electronics controlling the automatic clutch - Yaris doesn't have a normal automatic gearbox; it's "Multi Mode Transmission" - a manual gearbox with an electronically activated automatic clutch and gear change.

I'm assuming that you couldn't shift gears using the up and down on the gear lever or the paddles? I'm assuming that the MMT gearbox your one is the similar to the current models -- all I know is what's in the manual, but I drive a manual gearbox so can't be of a lot of help I'm afraid.

Well, I would guess there's something wrong with the gearbox or the electronics controlling the automatic clutch - Yaris doesn't have a normal automatic gearbox; it's "Multi Mode Transmission" - a manual gearbox with an electronically activated automatic clutch and gear change.

I'm assuming that you couldn't shift gears using the up and down on the gear lever or the paddles? I'm assuming that the MMT gearbox your one is the similar to the current models -- all I know is what's in the manual, but I drive a manual gearbox so can't be of a lot of help I'm afraid.

Thanks anway, at least i kind of know what it is

Yep your gearbox is not automatic. It is "multi mode transmision" which is totaly different to a conventional auto gearbox. As has already been said, it has a manual gearbox with actuators that work the clutch and gears. So even if your gearbox was low on oil, it would not have the same effect as an auto gearbox that is low on oil. Now the light you describe is telling you that somthing is wrong with the electronics or sensors that control your gearbox. I`m sorry to say that spending £60 with a Toyota dealer or transmission specalist, to scan the gearbox ecu is going to be the least of your worries. But it is the only way that you are going to find out for sure what the problem is.

• 2 years later...

Thanks anway, at least i kind of know what it is

Hi did you find out the problem .. because I am having the same...

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
On 7/30/2010 at 10:55 PM, Evvon said:

Hi I have Toyota Yaris 2011 automatic transmission gearbox. It pull only with gear 3. I got it diagnosed and no fault found.

• 1 year later...

Hi i have the same issue, can i ask how did you fix the issue?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links