Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Problem? Squawking Sound

tiggy

Hi All,

I think it may be my clutch but am not sure so I though I'd ask other owners to get a better idea. I have a 53 Reg 1.0 which has done 50k. Symptoms I have are:

First thing in the morning, when pulling away I get a weird sound, like a squawking sound.

Biting point is very high

Have hesitation as low speeds, e.g. if in 2nd and coming out of a turn at lowe speed theres quite a delay before speed picks up

I don't detect any slipping. Tested by popping it into 4th at 15 mph and flooring it, no increase in revs just slow progress.

This is the original clutchs as far as Im aware and Im just wondering how many miles is the average for this model?

Anyone had similar symptoms? Car has been serviced (new oil, filters etc)

The sound is more likely to be a belt (e.g. power steering or Auxiliary belt) slipping and is probably nothing to worry about unless it does it all the time. It's probably just damp on the pulleys at this time of year.

High biting point could be the start of a clutch problem, but your other test indicates that if that is the case it's early days and not likely to give up any time soon.

The sound is more likely to be a belt (e.g. power steering or Auxiliary belt) slipping and is probably nothing to worry about unless it does it all the time. It's probably just damp on the pulleys at this time of year.

High biting point could be the start of a clutch problem, but your other test indicates that if that is the case it's early days and not likely to give up any time soon.

Hi T600.

Thanks for the response. At first I thought it was a belt issue too. But the noise is a bit deeper than belt noises sually are. I also get a slight juddering when pulling away

I agree - sounds like auxilliary belts not clutch.

I suffer from a small amount of clutch judder too (65K on original clutch) but, as usual, only when cold and damp and first couple of times. Every Toyota I've had in the last 10 years or so has done it to some degree or other. I had a Celica which had a 'failing' clutch assembly, and believe me you'll know about it when it goes - judder isn't the word I would use to describe it... :o

Oh, one thing that always struck me about the 1l Yaris I had was that the idle speed was incredibly low, always seemed a little smoother at about 100 or 200 rpm above this. I wondered whether this was an attempt by Toyota to eek out fuel economy to the nth degree, on occasion I thought the engine would stall though it never did.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you still are interested but I have a noise/problem. Just bought a Yaris 1.0 2002 which has done 32000 miles and get a high pitched squealing sound when reversing and sometimes moving forward, it goes away when the car is warmed up.

I definately think its a slipping belt problem as its high pitched and I don't have clutch judder.

As you say, due to the sound and judder, yours problem maybe the clutch release bearing.

I don't know if you still are interested but I have a noise/problem. Just bought a Yaris 1.0 2002 which has done 32000 miles and get a high pitched squealing sound when reversing and sometimes moving forward, it goes away when the car is warmed up.

I definately think its a slipping belt problem as its high pitched and I don't have clutch judder.

As you say, due to the sound and judder, yours problem maybe the clutch release bearing.

Put some talc on the belt and see if the noise go's

My son had a similar squawking sound from his Yaris clutch. I searched the internet and found a report from a guy claiming to be a Toyota technician. He suggested that it was most likely to be due to a build up of dust in the clutch release bearing. I did not think that it was likely to lead to failure so have done nothing about it. Unfortunately I didn't keep the internet link

Just a tip.

Before starting up in the morning.

Lift bonnet.

Be ready with a spray can of wd40.

Start engine and lightly spray the Auxiliary belt with the wd40. (not too much)

If it is the Belt making the noise this will change / stop immediately when spraying.

It’s just the Damp causing the prob'.

Just a tip.

Before starting up in the morning.

Lift bonnet.

Be ready with a spray can of wd40.

If it is the Belt making the noise this will change / stop immediately when spraying.

It’s just the Damp causing the prob'.

I wouldn't use WD 40 myself Its a lubricant and will make the belt slip, like I wrote earlier put a bit of Talc on the belt...With engine off of course :D

I`ve got a better idea. Why don`t you just get the belt changed? It don`t cost that much and at 50 odd thou it`s probably due for one anyhow(if it aint been done recently)!!! Better than it snapping in the middle of nowhere.. :o

Oh, and it`s usally the alterator that causes it to slip 1st thing in a morning, as it tries to re-charge the Battery that you drained cold starting.. .

I have the same problem with a squawking/squeeking clutch. It seems to be quite stiff. I really noticed it when I switched between a courtesy car and my car a few months ago. The clutch was much harder to push in.

[quote "I wouldn't use WD 40 myself Its a lubricant and will make the belt slip, like I wrote earlier put a bit of Talc on the belt...With engine off of course "

Howard.

My words are Not to much.

There is no problem at all lubing the belt with wd40. This will drive out the dampness within the belt and stop it making a noise, If that is the problem.

The idea is to determine what is causing the noise....

By lubing the belt you eliminate that item.

But rest assured wd40 will not harm the belt. But Not too much.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links