Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shift Changer Light

malco 666

Driving down motorway at 90mph, gear shifter light started to indicate for me to change down in gears!!!! Needless to say I didn't. Has anyone else had this problem?? :thumbsup:

Yes but not at 90mph

when i accelerate quickly it sometimes tells me to shift down, must forget or get behind itself. Other times i tells me to shift down when accelerating up hills. I was going up a steep hill and changed at about 3.6rpm so unless the shift indicator takes into consideration load / engine stress i assume it errored there.

Hello this is the firts time this has ever happened and got a bit worried will give mr T a ring tomorrow and try and get some imfo if i can on what might have caused the gear shifter to do this. :thumbsup:

When I was going about 120 KPH @5th gear (I don't know the MPH calculation), I looked down to see how much gas I left and realized gear change indicator showing that green down arrow, saying me to change gear to 4th... I looked at the RPM clock(what was it's name damn) and it was sitting on 2200 RPM. Road was flat, I wasn't going neither down or uphill. I didn't change gears or anything but took my feet off of the gas pedal. When I drop down to 2000 RPM, it turned off and I floored the gas pedal at that point and started accelerating until I reached 3000 RPM but that down gear indicator didn't come up. Never happened again...

And sometimes when I try 0-160 (kilometers per hour) acceleration it happens like this:

I stay put on 2800 RPM for about 5 seconds and let the clutch go (after 2800 RPM, it burn outs the tires too much and losing me time)

@3600 RPM I shift to 2nd (green down arrow of gear indicator lights up, telling me shift down, go figure)

@3400 RPM I shift to 3rd (green arrow still pointing down)

@3800 RPM I shift to 4th (still green arrow pointing down)

@4000 RPM I shift to 5th (still green down arrow)

When I try this fast acceleration, it usually does that, not every single time but most of time it does. Other than these situations, it works fine.

Hello rang Mr T about gear shift indicator coming on at 90mph and telling me to change down and was told if the problem happens again i will have to take the car in for a diagnostics check to see if any error codes come up on the computer, so went for a drive on the motorway again and got to a good speed checked the gear shift indicator arrow and nothing appeared on the dash but will keep checking to see if this happens again. :thumbsup:

• 12 years later...

hi. I've just brought a secondhand Toyota Auris

t -spirit.

Yesterday whilst driving ,the shift light kept coming on on the dash . I was in a built up area 30mph restriction & it just came on & off every few mins? Any advice please? & does anyone know where I can buy a manuel for this car for future ref?  

Another q is : there is a fitted hands free phone holder thats been wired in & when I asked someone if they could remove it they said they weren't sure what its wired up to?( as its annoyingly fitted near the gear shift ,) and every time i change gear it knocks my hand. Its for the old blackberry & I've got a Samsung 10 so can't use it .

3 Q is :how do I get the ciggerette lighter to work as i can't use a phone charger . Thank you 

Hello Jacqueline - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

The gear shift light is intended as a driver aid to encourage more economical driving - by changing up sooner when the 'up' arrow lights, changing down to the right gear when slowing down when the 'down' arrow lights, etc. It doesn't mean that you have to obey the system. It became an EU legal requirement on new cars from 2014, but most manufacturers fitted them before this date in readiness..

As regards the cigar lighter, it only operates once the ignition is on, un!ess something like a fuse is blown. Does it not work at all?

• Thanks 1

The light can come on under certain circumstances and will almost certainly not be any kind of fault. Several different parameters are monitored for the indicator to operate as it does and it is actually 'better' design for the light to come on and stay on for a few seconds once triggered rather than to be flashing on and off more rapidly.

I suspect that inlet manifold pressure is one such parameter monitored because I can get the light to come on if I put my foot fully down at 30mph in 4th or 5th gear when climbing an incline and then at the top on level ground ease off and yet the light can be triggered for a few seconds. There is no fault, it is just the way the software is written. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2020 at 8:44 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Hello Jacqueline - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

The gear shift light is intended as a driver aid to encourage more economical driving - by changing up sooner when the 'up' arrow lights, changing down to the right gear when slowing down when the 'down' arrow lights, etc. It doesn't mean that you have to obey the system. It became an EU legal requirement on new cars from 2014, but most manufacturers fitted them before this date in readiness..

As regards the cigar lighter, it only operates once the ignition is on, un!ess something like a fuse is blown. Does it not work at all?

No. It doesn't work at all. Its also never been used by the previous owner. 

thank you for your reply. It doesn't actually work.  its not been used by the previous owner either.  And thank you for the advice on the shift light. I realise now its just helping me about shifting up or down a gear. Lol . Thanks 

• 1 year later...

I recently got an Auris 2010m model but i realized that the gear changer lights are not going on when driving at night. how do I switch them on? i thought its supposed to come on automatically after switching on the car lights? 

The gear change lights are just two indicators on the instrument panel. They have no connection to the external lights and simple illuminate to show when you need to shift up or down a gear i.e. when the engine revs are above or below an optimum range for the chosen gear and speed.

Drive in second gear at 20mph and the shift up light should illuminate. Shift to 5th gear at 20mph and shift down should light. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links