Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Altezza Low Idling & Engine Dies At Start Up

romanynz

G-Day great site, its nice to know that there is a wealth of knowledge to give support, I have an imported 1999 Altezza (IS200) and seem to have the common problem of Low idling and then the engine dies at start up when cold,

After reading through the threads it seems there’s no permanent fix, so I phoned the local Lexus/Toyota agent for advice. Toyota said it was due to the ISC (idle speed control) unit; they said it needed cleaning and after that a new gasket fitted, they said it was located at he end of the throttle cable?, is this something that can be done by yourself or will I need to take it to the dealer to rob me blind,

I have a number of other common problems such as rattle in the driver’s door pillar and the driver’s auto window coming back to half way after using auto function but those can be sorted out over time, but the one I would like to sort out first is the idling problem so any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance for any you can give

John

Well I am gong to have a go at taking the idle speed control unit apart this weekend & clean it out, as anyone done this or taken one apart before?, I think its just a bolt on bolt of unit, I will take some pictures as I do it & post them.

John,

Hi. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but if you don't find it here, have you tried the Lexus Owners Club which is closely linked to these forums.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...hp?showforum=50

Although I'm registered there I don't post often because I have very few problems with the IS. But as I recall there's as many, if not more, Altezza owners on the IS forums as there are Lexus owners, and there's tonnes of info on everything about these cars.

HTH. Out of interest which engine does your car have - the S6 as per the IS200 or do you have the BEAMs engine?

Hi sorry for the late reply

thanks for the advice, I have now also posted this onto the Lexus site, but after trying to decide what unit I was looking at, I thought it best to get it done by Toyota when I have time to take it to them,

But I am still trying to find the cause of the noise from the door pillar so any advice on this would be great.

I like the Altezza and find it a nice car to drive and hopefully be as reliable as the Soarer I owned some years ago, but the noise from the pillar is driving me bonkers,

Btw. The engine is the Lexus 2ltr six cylinder, it say BEAMs on the engine cover, did not know they made a Six cylinder BEAMS?

John

• 1 month later...
Hi sorry for the late reply

thanks for the advice, I have now also posted this onto the Lexus site, but after trying to decide what unit I was looking at, I thought it best to get it done by Toyota when I have time to take it to them,

But I am still trying to find the cause of the noise from the door pillar so any advice on this would be great.

I like the Altezza and find it a nice car to drive and hopefully be as reliable as the Soarer I owned some years ago, but the noise from the pillar is driving me bonkers,

Btw. The engine is the Lexus 2ltr six cylinder, it say BEAMs on the engine cover, did not know they made a Six cylinder BEAMS?

John

Hi John

It's more than likely going to be the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve which is under the throttle body; I have replaced some of these when I was working for Toyota in California, Now back in the UK :)

You can remove this and clean it out does get carbon deposits in the bottom of it this does help..

Hope you get it sorted mate..

Carl

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links