Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying A Hilux

david1

Hi All

I have just joined as I currently own a D40 Navara and am looking at replacing it with a top of the range Hilux Auto (maybe the 194hp model)

Do you guys have any advice to avoid pitfalls please?

I am about to get a dealer loan car to try but would welcome any feedback from 3.0 l Auto owners.

I will put a hard top on the back and usually carry a few tools and tow car trailers and caravans occasionally. but it will never be heavily laden. Is the handling good or will I need Old Man Emus? Will I have to change the springs?

The Nissan drives quite well, but is a !Removed! when towing unless a weight is put in the loadbed

Thanks in anticipation

David

Have you driven the hilux ? The D40 is the daddy of UK pickups atm, the finish of the Hilux does not match the D40 especially if you drive something like the Aventura.

D40 Long Way Down Expedition currently offers Aventura toys for a lot less of the price or Aventura for 0% over three years if you have the 30% deposit...

Have you driven the hilux ? The D40 is the daddy of UK pickups atm, the finish of the Hilux does not match the D40 especially if you drive something like the Aventura.

D40 Long Way Down Expedition currently offers Aventura toys for a lot less of the price or Aventura for 0% over three years if you have the 30% deposit...

I have an Avantura at the moment and it is a very nice truck. I am nervous of it long term and feel the Hilux might be better. I have a loan car coming so will have a nice long drive.

Toyota quality is worth sacrificing a toy or two!!

David

You'ld be suprised, first of all would have to say I'm extremely biased as although have run toyota's for years I now run a sales team for Nissan and the reliability ofthe Nav's is much better than the Hilux, luckily I am in a position to have a new Aventura every 12 weeks and wouldn't be without one.

I've tried the Hilux (we have a good relationship with Mr T next door) and even the Toyota sales team say the two don't compare :)

If you can have a play in a Hilux for a while you'll see what I mean, plus you'll be going back to 10 or 12k servicing every twelve months rather than 18k or 24 months!

In the trade the Hilux isn't really competition, the closest competition is the Mitsi which again is no way near as good :)

I too am looking into a new truck for work,and i am interested in the double cab 3litre hilux.

I have also looked at the mitsi and the nissan.

I have had past experiences with the mitsi and that is out so the other is the nissan.

No owners who i have spoken to will recommend one!

I have read nothing but bad press and bad reviews about them.Now i was pretty unsure so i decided to try one for myself.Not all that impressed with the sales team,seems as though they couldn't be bothered.

24 mpg not too good really, and the room in the back of the cab is bobbins!

So i have chosen a hilux.

I have seen no bad press about them,even a service manager at nissan said the toyota is a far better tool.

Lots of room in the back,so until i get proven wrong its the hilux for me.

I have just bought a new Hilux 3.0 HL3 Double Cab.

It is absolutely superb.

The quality and reliability of Toyota goes without saying.

As regards the Navara, the guy who sells them is bound to say they are better isn't he. No suprises there.

All I know is there is a mechanic in my area who has made his living over the past couple of years rebuilding shattered Navara engines.They seem to give up in a big way at about 60k.

I know one guy who has one and his son also has one and they both blew up at a fortnight apart.

Because each time they were serviced the mileage had gone slightly over the service interval, Nissan wouldn't pay for the repairs.There has also been an issue with the airbags deploying too late in an impact. Have a look at the NCAP test results. The Navara scores very poorly.

No, steer clear of the Navara.

The Hilux is far better.

The build quality is as good as it gets. The engine is fantastic. 169 bhp.[171 DIN hp] 34mpg combined [i can confirm this] and 39 mpg on the motorway.It develops its 343 Nm torque between 1400 and 3400 rpm. It pulls like a train.

The Hilux is more economical than the Navara. The Hilux has lower CO2 emmissions and more ground clearance. I think also the wading depth is better at 700mm.

It is Toyota that has made great inroads into America, devastating the American car manufacturers-not Nissan.

Anyway, what's a Nissan dealer doing spending time corresponding on a Toyota owners webite.

That is a bit strange don't you think.

Perhaps it envy.

David, good luck on the 194 bhp model as I believe there are only 500 of them being built! I would love to be in your position though.

I thought about buying an Invincible auto last year and I took a drive, really liked it, but in the end my bank account (my missus!!) wouldn't stretch far enough. All I can say is that Hilux owners can't get enough of them. It is an ultra reliable vehicle and the build quality is just better than competitors. Sorry Mr Nissan dealer but facts speak for themselves.

The road holding is good for a pick up and I think for light towing you're onto a winner.

Hope all goes well!!

David, most people who have been on the site for any length of time will know my history with the club and toyota owning history, when I first became a member of TOC 5 years ago I worked in IT and since joining have had MR2's, Celica Convertible (although rather forget that one, Havant run anyone), MX5, Astra, and now 5 guesses what my job is lmao...

Just because you change from a toyota doesn't mean you have to leave the club although I've left and come back a couple of times :)

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if there is some special things I should know before buying a surf 2.4 td?

Does somebody know if I can get the parts for it in easthern canada?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links