Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sat-navs

PaulGP

I've had my new Aygo for a couple of months now & have been thinking of investing in a sat nav. I've not driven for about 15 years before buying this new car & do not know a lot about sat-navs. I've been looking at reviews on the net & there seems to be a lot of plus & negative points. I really only want a basic model & am looking at the Navman S30 from Halfords at £99.

What do you think of sat-navs in general?

Does anyone have this model? & can they recommend it.  :cheers:

I'm the manager of Halfords here mate.

The way it goes is this....

Garmin

Tomtom

anything else

top to bottom, best to worst.

If you want a UK basic SatNav, there's the Garmin Nuvi 200, you can also get a widescreen version 200w. Or a Europe one, 250 and 250w.

You can also get ones that work as bluetooth handsfree kits for the car.

Stay away from Navman mate!!

Garmin Nuvi 200 £109.99 at the moment and was the best selling satnav of 2007!

i've got the tom tom go 520. think it's pretty good. can connect ipod into it etc.

x

Garmin

TomTom

Anything else....

trust me... I sell these things for a living.

Thanks for the advice - I'll have a look today.

Garmin

TomTom

Anything else....

trust me... I sell these things for a living.

Thanks for the advice - I'll have a look today.

I didnt want anything fancy just something that was quick to calculate and get me from a to b without doing anything fancy.

Bought the tomtom ONE 3rd edition which is apparently quite basic. I didnt think so - you can load a tonne of stuff on it like nearest petrol stations as saftey net, nearest attractions all that kind of thing. Even loads speed camera locations and possible mobile camera locations so thats handy. Its also small and light so easy to take with you and will fit in the small side dash window of my car so doesnt obstruct view.

Its never let me down, incredibly simple to use, picks up routes very quickly and re-calculates v.quick too.

I just went for the safe option but i think people report that garmin to be be good, i think you can do loads with it, like an expensive tomtom but for the price of a cheap tomtom.

---

to add

tomtom ONE V3 comes in various models, UK / European i think. The UK model is the cheapest but does not have European continent maps and you cannot load them after either as it doesnt have a SD slot... if you need those.

Hi

I use a satnav on a weekly basis almost cos of my job (and my geography is poo) and I have the lower end range of a Garmin and its great, has sent me some strange ways sometimes but I think they can all do that but its realiable, easy to use, accurate (it gives time of arrival and adjusts itself gradually throughout the jouney and amazed how its always so accurate!) Also really easy to update the maps. I would defo agree with Jimlad and go Garmin!

SJx

Thanks all!

Had a look in Halfords in Poole today & they recommended the Garmin Nuvi 200 - they were very helpful. I really liked the look of it - had a quick go with it. Will trawl the net to see if I can beat their price of £109.99.

:cheers:

If you buy from the net and something goes wrong then you're a bit stuck.

If you buy from the store you can take it back and get replacement same day if it was faulty.

Food for thought!

I use a Garmin 250W and it is very accurate, I haven't had one spurious address yet.

Also you can easily copy the data to your PC as a back up.

You can update the Sat Nav with all the safety camera data once you have registered

I also downloaded a program called EasyGPS (just Google it) which lets you edit all the POI and the best thing is its free.

If you have a few friends or work mates you can share the data very easily and if you have a business all the Sat Nav's can have the same data.

I've got an N95! :lol:

Don't need to take anything extra with me!!

:thumbsup:

I'm going to get an Alpine blackbird ;)

http://www.audio66.com/product.asp?id=5631...CFQE_MAodgRVXrA

It integrates with my headunit for the factropy installed look... but I can pull it out and use it in the other car if need be!

I have a Mio C510 and I think its great blah blah blah etc...

http://www.mio-tech.be/html/uk_en/c510e.htm

They don't sell my version anymore I don't think. However the alternatives are going to be just as good and better I would imagine.

Looks to me that your basing this purchase around the price however and I would say this is not wise and you should get a SatNav with the features that you would want to use. Goto www.pocketgpsworld.com and look at the forums there and post for an in-depth explanation of some models. They also have in-depth reviews there.

I've got an N95! :lol:

Don't need to take anything extra with me!!

:thumbsup:

Except the spare batteries !! :P

I like the ones that tell you to do an 'authorised U Turn' on the motorway!

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I purchased a Garmin nuvi 250 today from Halfords £114.95 plus a case at half price - had to really haggle hard for that - would not give it free. The garmin rep was in store & advised that any faults that occur in the first 12 months will lead to the product being replaced with new & a further 12 months warranty on the replacement. This swung me away from Amazon.

First impressions are great. So easy to set up & very easy to use. Used it to go to the local Tesco - about 7 miles & no problems. Am very pleased with the purchase.

I have a "Navigo SY885" that sells for £59.99p on Ebuyer.co.uk. Try this link. undefined

Actuallly bought mine from eBay at a reduced price. It is a basic but quite adequate Sat/Nav but the mapping comes on a SD Card and if you have other mapping versions on an SD Card you can turn it into a Tom Tom or other well known versions of Satnav. You end up with a top end Satnav at a very cheap price

Other useful links are:-

Discusion forum for Navigo SY885 at. undefined

Variuos versions of maps at. undefined

Kesindi

I need help !

Just picked up my Rav-4, with Toyota factory fitted TNS 200 Sat Nav.

The salesman started to demonstrate, and basically couldnt get it working, it came up with the following faults

"insert CD rom " once inserted it said, "open door and insert CD rom ", it then said it was reading it, but then keeps saying

"open door and insert CD Rom"

I am not too concerened as garage have said they will put it right, i wondered if anyone out there could help me ? :(

I need help !

The salesman started to demonstrate, and basically couldnt get it working, it came up with the following faults

"insert CD rom " once inserted it said, "open door and insert CD rom ", it then said it was reading it, but then keeps saying

I am not too concerened as garage have said they will put it right, i wondered if anyone out there could help me ? :(

I could be wrong, but does not the Toyota satnav use DVD's.. sure the garage is inserting a dvd and not a cd...could be wrong though...

Also the laser that reads the dvd could need a clean as this could make it fail..any greasy finger marks on the disk it's self???

• 3 weeks later...
I need help !

Garages in general seem to know very little about sat navs. My experience regards factory fitted units is that you pay around £1000 extra for them, are stuck with them for life, and they usually leave a lot to be desired. I had a Nissan XTrail with sat nav fitted; it drove me round the bend so much I sold the car. I now have a Halfords purchased Tom Tom which covers all of Europe, and it is A!

I am thinking of getting a new one... the old TT one I have doesn't have camera's on it... I have to purchase new map and camera's for the latest ones. .grrrr

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links