Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Tyre Pressures

G7PCQ

Hi All

Could someone please advise me on tyre pressures........ The manual advises that it should be 35 on the front and 33 on the rear. Two things:-

1) When I first checked them on my car about two weeks after delivery they were 50 front and 45 rear. I took them down to the recommended level.

2)Reading through one of the 'chat' lines from the US of A there was one which actually promoted increasing tyre pressures to improve MPG

I have not been doing sufficient mileage lately to check if the MPG has degraded after deflating.

Any Ideas??

When I got my Prius the tyre prsssures were way up on the recommended 35 front 33 rear. I reduced the pressures to the normal motoring recommended pressures. I cannot say have seen an increase in fuel consumption. I will stay with the recommended pressures until Toyota put in writing that it should be different.

Regards Chris.

When I got my Prius the tyre prsssures were way up on the recommended 35 front 33 rear. I reduced the pressures to the normal motoring recommended pressures. I cannot say have seen an increase in fuel consumption. I will stay with the recommended pressures until Toyota put in writing that it should be different.

Regards Chris.

Chris,

I brought up this subject due to what appeared to be excessive tyre wear on the front after only 4000 miles. After reading the new post I wonder if there is a link and we do need clarification from the people above

Ian

I think we do need clarification of the tyre pressures we should use. I have been advised to use the recommended pressures. It would be good to know what pressures do other Prius owners use.

Chris.

Hi All

Could someone please advise me on tyre pressures........ The manual advises that it should be 35 on the front and 33 on the rear. Two things:-

1) When I first checked them on my car about two weeks after delivery they were 50 front and 45 rear. I took them down to the recommended level.

2)Reading through one of the 'chat' lines from the US of A there was one which actually promoted increasing tyre pressures to improve MPG

I have not been doing sufficient mileage lately to check if the MPG has degraded after deflating.

Any Ideas??

I would stick to the recommended pressures. Yours sounds like whoever did the PDI didnt bother checking the tyre pressures as these are the sort of pressures they are delivered to dealerships with. Not very good really as if they missed that out - what else didnt they check? :unsure:

Mart.

I have a 2006 T spirit and have covered 49000 miles and i changed the tyres after 42000miles because of punctures but still above legal limit. I always use 2.4Bar front and 2.3 Bar rear as per toyota manual for single occupancy. Fully loaded use 2.6 Bar front 2.4 Bar rear. I check trye pressures every 2 weeks .........

if the tyre pressures are higher the ride becomes harder, to improve marginally the fuelconsumption try 2.5 Bar Front and 2.4 Bar rear.. never got my head around PSI.......

• 2 weeks later...

Since purchasing my Prius I have checked the tyre pressures every 2 to3 weeks. Each time the passenger rear pressure had dropped more than the others. Today the tyre had lost pressure from 33PSI to 18PSI in 2 weeks. This is the most it has ever been. I rang my Aylesbury dealer and in one hour of phoning the car was with them. At first nothing was found but they said they could remove the tyre and reseal it. On removal and examination on the inner of the tyre they found a small sharp tack. They fixed the puncture and resealed the tyre.

I am doing a lot of motorway driving this week end I hate to think what would have happened if it had lost pressure in a roadworks area of the motoway as there is no refuge in most of these.

The dealer was brilliant and had the job sorted within 2 hours of my phone call to them.

It just shows the need to check tyre pressures regularly and if in doubt contact the Toyota dealer. I doubt some of the tyre centres I have used in the past would have taken the trouble to remove the tyre and do such a thorough check.

I did ask again about tyre pressures and the dealer said only use the pressures recommended by Toyota.

• 3 weeks later...

On Finnish website where Prius was tested told to use in front 2,9bar and rear 2,7bar. They said that it makes car better to handle and stable to drive.

Havent been testing this yet... Still waiting for mine.

- J

Stick to the handbook recommended pressures 35PSI front 33PSI rear. Three different Toyota dealers have advised me on this. I am told that if you are involved in a car crash the police can check tyre pressures and they go by the makers handbook recommended pressures.

On Finnish website where Prius was tested told to use in front 2,9bar and rear 2,7bar. They said that it makes car better to handle and stable to drive.

Havent been testing this yet... Still waiting for mine.

- J

2.9 is 42 psi, 2.7 is 39 psi.

Bit too high i think - stick to TOYOTA manufacturers spec as stated.

Mart.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links