Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol And Oil Questions

cibies

I am just wondering if I am doing any harm to the engine by using normal unleaded petrol as opposed to the high octane. Also I am thinking about changing the oil in the gearbox, can anyone suggest what type of oil to use and where the handiest place is to get it.

Thanks

Hi there, if you have a normal T-Sport then there is no problem running standard petrol, you only *have* to use super unleaded if you have a compressor.

As for gear box oil, I have just bought 2 litres of Silkolene 75W 90 from Opie Oils who are a sponsored link near the bottom of these forums. And I think they are also offering a 10% discount to all TOC forum members too.

mate has a T sport and notes better response and top end pull using super and millers octane plus , so id imagine theres the same jump in performance from 95 - 97 ron

im sure i read in the manual 97 is recommended for the 2zz to keep knock levels down

If you want to know the difference between the high octane stuff and the normal stuff have a look in car mechanics magazine this month. The have an audi rigged running half the engine on bp ultimate and half on the normal and the amount of carbon deposits on the valve and inlets really opens you eyes to the benefits of the bp ultimate. The cylinders running the ultimate are like the day they left the factory, sadly the one running the cheaper stuff was caked in carbon deposits. This was after just 3000miles

Class mag by the way, highly recommended

i always use Shell v power for my t-sport, i did find it a tad more responsive than using standard but not a great deal. weather it ads any extra miles to tank on i'm not sure (as this is what alot of places claim)

i always use shell v power for my t-sport, i did find it a tad more responsive than using standard but not a great deal. weather it ads any extra miles to tank on i'm not sure (as this is what alot of places claim)

Well unless it can add a serious amount of mileage to the tank, then what is the point? With the price differential being quite high these days, any suggested economy improvements are destroyed by the extra money it costs to fill a tank with V-Power.

I myself switched to V-Power for about 3 months and really didn't notice any difference. I think for the most part it is in everyone's heads.

i always use shell v power for my t-sport, i did find it a tad more responsive than using standard but not a great deal. weather it ads any extra miles to tank on i'm not sure (as this is what alot of places claim)

Well unless it can add a serious amount of mileage to the tank, then what is the point? With the price differential being quite high these days, any suggested economy improvements are destroyed by the extra money it costs to fill a tank with V-Power.

I myself switched to V-Power for about 3 months and really didn't notice any difference. I think for the most part it is in everyone's heads.

Interesting post, i have just finished my great petrol experiment and allthough BP claim that ultimate will give you more miles per tank its boll*x i was gettng more out of a tank of V power which is cheaper and higher octane. Admittedly it was not the most scientifically accurate experiment but i was happy with the results.

Just one thing why does the compressor HAVE to use high octane?

IMG_0235.jpg

It not to clear but thats the best i can do for now, i lack the proper facilities at the moment, a picture from the mag show the results of running half the engine on bp ultimate, other half on normal. You can guess which is which. So may be there is something in it the more expensive stuff.

Once again, great magazine, always something interesting in it.

does that ultimate fuel work restrospectively too ? will it clean the engine head on the right if it was used from now on ?

I think they say it does, i put a shot of redex in my last two tanks as well. Are you not running your motor on v power or ultimate? Compressor?

it is aye , i usually use sainsburys super as its local to me , but when im out and about and i need a fill its usually Shell or BP super /ultimate , no matter what i use it always gets a bottle of millars octane plus anyway ,

make you wonder seeing the pics

Yea, ill be putting the expensive stuff in any more after seeing that. Been using v power since iv been over here, dont really notice any power difference, just bit more response and smoother idle.

Yea, ill be putting the expensive stuff in any more after seeing that. Been using v power since iv been over here, dont really notice any power difference, just bit more response and smoother idle.

with this engine the idle should be 100% flat and smooth regardless of petrol ron...

ive been using Vpower for a while definately made a difference in my last car, but i did advance the ignition so it ran a little bit wobbly on 95 ron.

I think with the corolla if you use a tank of 95 followed by a tank of 97 you'll get the best of both worlds, i.e cleaner engine + lower costs.

Also enable you to test your mpg tank by tank.

be interesting if someone had some logging software to log the timing of the engine on a Dyno, for example, on a 2zz with 95/97 ron - to see whether the timing gets retarded at high rpm or not with 95 vs 97...

i know something gets pulled in the last 4-500 rpm in the compressor , as on just 97 those revs are quite unwilling i found , with power plus octane booster in the fuel they are much smoother and the car pulls through them more cleanly , i would love to know the charge inlet temp of the CTS-C on full chat as being non- intercooler the inlet manifold gets very hot after a brisk run or idling in traffic also which cant help dett.

is there any program like vag-com for toyotas that allows real time logging of the sensors on the engine

My idle is smooth, just in my last car, if you had the radio up it was so smooth the only way you know it was running is by the rpm needle. What i notice with the toyota is you get a little shake when the car is at idle, nothing big and it the same in other corolla's iv been in, the 1.4's, so that just the way they are.

Warm idle for the 2zzge is 800rpm +/- 50, thats what it is in my car.

I have obd2 software but it just cheap stuff, digimoto, pmc scan, pro scan, pmc is probably the best of them, if you where doing real diagnostics wouldnt be much good, pico scopes good but expensive. Been looking for something specific for the toyota, again like vag-com but i cant find anything. Can even activate features on the VW family ecu's with vag com, cruise that sort of thing

Anyone know of anything for the toyota's?

My idle is smooth, just in my last car, if you had the radio up it was so smooth the only way you know it was running is by the rpm needle. What i notice with the toyota is you get a little shake when the car is at idle, nothing big and it the same in other corolla's iv been in, the 1.4's, so that just the way they are.

Warm idle for the 2zzge is 800rpm +/- 50, thats what it is in my car.

I have obd2 software but it just cheap stuff, digimoto, pmc scan, pro scan, pmc is probably the best of them, if you where doing real diagnostics wouldnt be much good, pico scopes good but expensive. Been looking for something specific for the toyota, again like vag-com but i cant find anything. Can even activate features on the VW family ecu's with vag com, cruise that sort of thing

Anyone know of anything for the toyota's?

does any one of the above programs above allow generic monitoring of the inlet temps and or ign degree ?

id be up for logging

Inlet temp, both lamda, most the engine sensor. Iv had trouble graphing on pmc scan. It looked to be the best for it but i cant seem to get it working properly for all the sensors. Ill double check ign degree for you this eve but off top of my head i think it does

It also does 1/4 mile times, 0-60.

what lead did you use for this , generic obd lead of fleabay ? think i have one lying here , downloading software at the min

what lead did you use for this , generic obd lead of fleabay ? think i have one lying here , downloading software at the min

Yea, like the ones on fleebay. Just after checking it, does do ignition advance. What one you downloading?

digimoto :) have it now , must dig out a lead

EDIT , wheres the diag port on an e12

PMCSCAN is prob the best of them, my digimoto wont work for me now, my old laptop with the programs on it got a bit to hot 3 month ago and hasnt been the same since.

Checked the ign advance on one one called proscan. The best for "testing" the performance figure of you car is PMCScan. It even has it own traffic light count down timer :thumbsup:

Just left click and wait for it to go green. Mate of mine has an astra, just 1.4 but we had great fun one nite, him trying his hardest to beat my mondeos 1/4 mile and 0-60.

He couldnt even get close to the mondeo time, which surprised me if I'm honest. Id say we knocked a few 1000k off the life of the astra engine!!!

Under where you pull the bonnet. Its white

digimoto :) have it now , must dig out a lead

EDIT , wheres the diag port on an e12

Did you have a go with it yet?

nah , been busy cleaning today for a show at the weekend , sod know when il get a chance , tho the software is all ready to go

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links