Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Under Steer

joe roberts

Ive had my sr 180 now for over 5 week's and have massive over and under steer when braking hard at speed. anyone else experiencing this.

Ive had my sr 180 now for over 5 week's and have massive over and under steer when braking hard at speed. anyone else experiencing this.

I have never experienced any sort of mis-haps when under heavy braking, I actually find it very well balanced.

Driving style?

Brake calibration?

Tracking?

Tyre pressure?

Have you considered any of the above points?

Its just that the normal way to get oversteer is to lift off or hand braking or left foot braking... Are you doing any of this?

To understeer in heavy braking only indicates you are driving too fast normally in my opinion.

and have massive over and under steer when braking hard at speed.

To get “massive under and over steer when braking” this implies you are using your brakes at speed while cornering? A definite No No.

Or do you mean that when travelling in a straight line and you apply the brakes heavily, the car doesn’t stay in a straight line?

Can you explain with more detail?

Can you be a bit clearer with what is happening and WHEN it is happening. Is the car fishtailing when braking hard in a straight line? Are you braking hard whilst cornering which is causing you to under/oversteer?

All braking should be done in a straight line, you shouldnt be braking whilst cornering, this is one of the main causes of accidents. When cornering only 2 of the tyres are gripping, nearside when you turn right, offside when you turn left. If you brake whilst you are cornering then you will shift the weight of the car to the front which means the front tyre is going to reach its limit, lose grip and you are going to understeer. Likewise if you accelerate hard when cornering, all the weight is going to go to the back tyre causing understeer in a frontwheel drive car and oversteer in a rearwheel drive. Do all your braking in a straight line before the bend, get the car to the speed you want before the turn then use slight acceleration to maintain a constant speed throughout the bend (a car slows as it turns so slight acceleration is needed to manintain a constant speed) accelerating out as it straightens, by doing this you are keeping equal amounts of grip between the tyres doing all the work and your also keeping the car as balanced as possible by not shifting the weight around whilst the car is unstable due to cornering. Its a skill which takes lots of practice.

As TVOR mentioned braking while cornering is a NO go. I experienced my rear going loose (VSC acted immediately) once when I had to make an emergency brake because of another driver. Other then that I think he has an average balance.

Note: I don't have the SR180 so my rear suspension is normal not multi link one

in a straight line. when i brake the front end dip's and the vsc come's on. then the back end start's to fish tail. when the back end straighten's. the front under steer's for a few second's then it's fine.

hi mate its matt, we have had the same with ours a coupe of other lads said there type pressures were low. i look my back to lindops who confirmed this and added more air. this helped with the understeer. but still the same with oversteer under heavy braking

i best pump um up then. it'll be on them dutch and german motorway's next week. see what it'll do flat out.

if the VSC is kicking in everytime you break hard in a straight line then i would be headig straight back to mr t, sounds like there could be a problem a bit more deep rooted than simply tyre pressure.

I THINK THE BRAKING SYSTEM ON MY SR 180 IS FANTASTIC, EVEN WHEN ON HIGH SPEEDS, CANT REALLY FAULT IT.

I get this but only because the previous owner had soft Dunlop tyres down the right hand side and some cheap harder compound down the left hand side... I really notice it in the wet :o Obviously I will be buying 4 sets of new tyres very soon.

The higher the PSI the stiffer the car’s handling characteristics become but obviously too high and you may reduce some of the contact patch with the road (I guess) and also you start to feel every bump on the road (aim for about 40psi on the front and 36psi on the back when tyres are dead cold).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links