Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sat Nav Unit

paulboy

Hi All,

I am keen to change my existing radio/cd unit for a touch screen unit that has sat-nav. I have seen this for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123

The seller is London based and allows collection so if I did go ahead I could at least see the unit first. I have a couple of questions though; has anyone here bought one of these or similar and if so was it any good? Also how would I go about getting the steering wheel controls connected?

I have been looking for genuine Toyota units but they appear to be very hard to find on the second hand market. Any comments much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.

I gather that except for the genuine Toyota OEM units, only Kenwood and JVC are likely to have units that may have adapters to use the steering wheel control adapters.

You will also loose the On-Board Computer for MPG info and the outside temp info.

If you do get it, please post your experience about it (I've been looking at similar stuff)

It would appear that there is no adapter for this unit to retain use of the steering wheel controls and also it hadn't occurred to me that I would lose the on-board computer as well so now I am unsure how to proceed with this. The supplier helpfully quoted me just under £1000 for a Kenwood unit but at that price it would be difficult to persuade my wife to allow me to keep my !Removed!. I already have a Garmin unit which is very good but I dont like the trailing wires or having to stick cradles on the windscreen so I will have to have a think about this. Any suggestions anyone?

I gather that except for the genuine Toyota OEM units, only Kenwood and JVC are likely to have units that may have adapters to use the steering wheel control adapters.

You will also loose the On-Board Computer for MPG info and the outside temp info.

If you do get it, please post your experience about it (I've been looking at similar stuff)

This is just my 2cents worth coming up ..... :)

I had been very hesitant about changing my head unit because of losing the OBC, temp guage and sterring wheel controls.

OBC .... My OBC is not very accurate, but still interesting to use, but I have now fitted a Scangauge, which is the Dogs DooDaas in comparision to the OBC, so that is one issue out the way.

The temp gauge ..... Interesting to see the temp. Plenty of ways to fit an alternative aftermarket one, so not a show stopper by any means

Steering Wheel controls .... that is the real sticking area (except for money ;) )

To get integrated Full Screen Sat Nav and keep the Steering wheel controls, most obvious way is a Toyota unit (Prob make the Kenwood look cheap though! and map updates will be silly money)

So aftermarket units like Garmin, TomTom etc .... the stick-on cradles are not that neat, I agree. You could get a Dashmount or a Brodit adapter which will allow you to mount the SatNav lower down and look cleaner then a stick-on windscreen option.

Trailing wires can be resolved fairly easily. I have a iPod adapter on a dashmount on the left of the radio, and a TomTom on the right of the radio, and have routed the cables through the radio area and notched a little hole in the silver trim sides to allow it to come out behind the device so virtually invisible.

There are some posts here talking about SatNav mounting with a few peoples solutions - maybe worth a look?

Having said all the above, I would still love to be able to lose both the TomTom and the iPod cradle in favour of a Full-Screen unit

Thinking about swapping the bog std Toyota single CD out for a Kenwood DNX5220BT unit (DVD, SatNav, integrated bluetooth etc). Have only ordered the Toyota side panels so far though !

Have installed reversing camera in prep for the upgrade and not particularly worried about losing OBC display. Will post a few photos tomorrow hopefully (installed an e-bay camera from HongKong just above the numberplate next to the plate lamps as close to the centre of the rear door of my 2004 D-4D as poss) - seems to be a fairly good pic trying it out with a temp in car TV 5" monitor...

May upgrade to keeping the steering controls at some point but not looking to do this at first (see if I miss it first as only just moved from an elderly 1995 RAV 3dr without steering controls anyway)

Hi Jsy Rav. how do you find the general range of the numberplate camera? just wondering due to the offset nature of the numberplate, does it still cover enough, you think?

My TNS700 is for sale.

Thinking about swapping the bog std Toyota single CD out for a Kenwood DNX5220BT unit (DVD, SatNav, integrated Bluetooth etc). Have only ordered the Toyota side panels so far though !

i have that dnx-5220 in my 3-doors, good box! does even do sms with a sony-ericcson 660i.

in my 5-doors i have that crap avic-f900bt box. i only bought that one to hack it. so that's more a ice project.

Hi All,

I am keen to change my existing radio/cd unit for a touch screen unit that has sat-nav. I have seen this for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123

The seller is London based and allows collection so if I did go ahead I could at least see the unit first. I have a couple of questions though; has anyone here bought one of these or similar and if so was it any good? Also how would I go about getting the steering wheel controls connected?

I have been looking for genuine Toyota units but they appear to be very hard to find on the second hand market. Any comments much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.

Re this eBay unit - I was told by someone at the weekend that he knew someone (sounds convoluted already!) who bought one of these - think for a BMW? - and he couldn't fit it flush with the dash because of the depth of the unit.

I know when I have taken out the unit in the RAV at various times, I see a large round metal tube where I would expect the top half of the radio would go, so I think the depth clearance is very tight - just something to consider :unsure:

If you did go for it, you mentioned you could look at it first - ideally take the car and drop the unit in to double-check.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links