Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.3 Gearbox Crunching Query

alfiejts

Just got a new 1.3 SR manual and I'd appreciate feedback from others.

The clutch seems fine (no judder) and there isn't a problem with carpet mats stoppig the clutch depressing properly, but when the car is cold, there's a real crunch going from first to second gear. You can feel the teeth grating together as you select second as if the synchromesh just isn't working.

There's no problem with any other gear. No problem changing down from 3rd to 2nd, just when the revs are high in 1st, changing up to second.

Issue goes away when the car has warmed up and it drops cleanly into second then - its just for the first few miles each cold start - but it happens every cold start.

Car's been like that from new. Hoped it would get better as it bedded in, but we've now done 1100 miles and its no better....

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

The clutch seems fine (no judder) and there isn't a problem with carpet mats stoppig the clutch depressing properly, but when the car is cold, there's a real crunch going from first to second gear. You can feel the teeth grating together as you select second as if the synchromesh just isn't working.

There's no problem with any other gear. No problem changing down from 3rd to 2nd, just when the revs are high in 1st, changing up to second.

Issue goes away when the car has warmed up and it drops cleanly into second then - its just for the first few miles each cold start - but it happens every cold start.

Car's been like that from new. Hoped it would get better as it bedded in, but we've now done 1100 miles and its no better....

I afraid mine has done this from new, 2006, and despite repeated attempts by Toyota and the dealer, this has not been solved, if you read around the forums here, you will find other reports of same , so i guess it's something you are going to have to live with. :wacko:

Not very helpful i know, but just take it up with the dealer, but that's about as good as it gets i am afraid.

• 4 weeks later...

You say you have now done 1100 miles, but that has hardly got the engine warm!

An example of that is people often say BMW's or Mercedes are only just getting run in at 100,000 miles, if properly treated!

I recon you need to change a little earlier, say just as you get going properly, change to second.... keep revs low for ten mins or so too! Perhaps a slightly thinner oil will help in the winter aswel.

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, im having the same problem to, aswell as one of the belts, think its the drive belt, thats been changed but still a noise from it is still occuring! Also the exhaust rattles has anybody got the same problem? ive taken it to toyota as its still under warranty and they simply said its a fault across all the yaris's?

I have the same problem with mine from 1st to 2nd and also into reverse when its cold, thought it was just me not putting the clutch down properly?

mines done 2500 miles.

Its probably a dry spot where the oil pump or natural circulation is poor so there is less oil getting to the 1st/2nd gear.

The reason it would be fine going from 3rd to 2nd is that the movement of the gears towards the 2nd would bring the oil with it from 3rd, but up to 2nd from the 1st wouldn't bring as much.

If you want to check out the theory try going from first, dip clutch, change to 3rd and without coming off the clutch back down to 2nd, then come off and see if you still get the noise.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links