Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vvti Oil Consumption

rickjhns

Hi,

My 2004 1.8petrol vvti is using a lot of oil. I have read that Toyota will often replace the short engine. Could some please say how I request this option? In other words, do I contact Toyota, or do I first take my car to a Toyota dealer.

Many thanks

Rickjhns

Hi,

My 2004 1.8petrol vvti is using a lot of oil. I have read that Toyota will often replace the short engine. Could some please say how I request this option? In other words, do I contact Toyota, or do I first take my car to a Toyota dealer.

Many thanks

Rickjhns

If your car has a full Toyota service history you could ask your local Toyota dealer if they would consider an out of warranty short engine change if the oil consumption exceeds what Toyota consider excessive...................Good luck :thumbsup:

How many times do you use the VVT-I?

Could you elaborate on that question? It's not something you can turn on or off, it's part of the engine design.

VVTi stands for 'variable valve timing intelligent' and is in operation all the time the engine is running.

As for the oil consumption, read this link.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...ngine_woes.html

I've just had a short motor change, 65000 miles, 53 plate, just take it to your Toyota dealer.

VVTi stands for 'variable valve timing intelligent' and is in operation all the time the engine is running.

As for the oil consumption, read this link.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...ngine_woes.html

I've just had a short motor change, 65000 miles, 53 plate, just take it to your Toyota dealer.

Hello

PLease guide me with nature of a short motor --- what is it?

is it assembly (cyl block + pistons + rings + con rods + crankshaft + new bearings) ???

thank you

Igor

Short block/motor is the block, pistons, rods, crank

No cylinder head fitted or oil pan (obviously ancilliaries that attach to those not fitted)

No cylinder head fitted or oil pan (obviously ancilliaries that attach to those not fitted)

hello all is clear.

one question more -- has MrT recognised design of new piston? Otherwise all efforts are for nothing.

cheers/Igor

hello all is clear.

one question more -- has MrT recognised design of new piston? Otherwise all efforts are for nothing.

cheers/Igor

From what I can gather, Toyota have recognised the problem (hence them extending the warranty) and designed a new piston which is fitted to the new blocks. I am told there will be no further problem with oil burning once the new short motor is fitted.

hello all is clear.

cheers/Igor

From what I can gather, Toyota have recognised the problem (hence them extending the warranty) and designed a new piston which is fitted to the new blocks. I am told there will be no further problem with oil burning once the new short motor is fitted.

That might be the official response but there have been a few cases on here where replacement engines have had to be replaced because they have started burning oil.

hello all is clear.

cheers/Igor

That might be the official response but there have been a few cases on here where replacement engines have had to be replaced because they have started burning oil.

Do we know the reason for the new short motors burning oil? Is it the same problem or down to other factors, like broken rings etc?

hello all is clear.

cheers/Igor

Do we know the reason for the new short motors burning oil? Is it the same problem or down to other factors, like broken rings etc?

hello mate

for sure the new engine can consume an oil more because of all parts (rings) must be lapped during first running. But in case this uses more - it means that it has been assembled wrong. It's my opinion

Cheers/Igor

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

Toyota agreed to replace my short engine.

The work took 3 days, I was given a courtey car.

I took the car in just short of 100,000 miles. After 500 miles the oil was check, and I was told no oil had been used. After another 500 mile, I was told the oil use was suffient for Toyota to change the engine!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links