Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New 3.0 Surf Owner

collbrum

Hi Everyone. Love these trucks and have just bought a beauty, a 96 3ltr auto. All seemed well but have noticed that the 'O/D Off' light starts to flash after just a few hundred yards. It does manage to select overdrive, and if i click the button it deselects no problem as well - but does the light mean there is a more significant problem? if so what is it and how do i fox it? Thanks for any help :)

Hi Everyone. Love these trucks and have just bought a beauty, a 96 3ltr auto. All seemed well but have noticed that the 'O/D Off' light starts to flash after just a few hundred yards. It does manage to select overdrive, and if i click the button it deselects no problem as well - but does the light mean there is a more significant problem? if so what is it and how do i fox it? Thanks for any help :)

Hi, the flashing O/D light means that there is a fault with the transmission or one of the sensors. It's usually a speed sensor that goes, is your speedo/odometer working OK?

Hi, the flashing O/D light means that there is a fault with the transmission or one of the sensors. It's usually a speed sensor that goes, is your speedo/odometer working OK?

Thanks for your suggestions, although i now realise i shouldn't have asked the question under the 'New Members Introduction' section - oh well! Having a bit more experience with the Surf now, i notice that the fault does not register until it tries to get into overdrive for the first time each time i drive it. It changes into o/d at about 60mph the first time but subsequently it changes no problem at about 50mph, of course by then the fault has already registered and i have a flashing light for the rest of my journey. There is no problem as far as i am aware with the speedo. Reading some of the other threads this sounds like it could be the ATF (which appears clean, it's redish and does not smell burnt) or a sticky solenoid in the overdrive box. I'm going to service the solenoids and change the ATF anyway - see what happens :D

I'll update this thread with any progress.

Hiya

Welcome to TOC.

According to the big red text at the top of the page you arent meant to ask questions about your car here, you should do them in the relevant section of the forum! ;)

Hiya

Welcome to TOC.

According to the big red text at the top of the page you arent meant to ask questions about your car here, you should do them in the relevant section of the forum! ;)

Thanks for your response. Did you read the first line of my post? Mistake realised and this thread is now already open in 'the relevant section of the forum'. ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links