Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1996 Rav4 Not Firing

adrian1952

This 1996 2.0i petrol unit has never failed me in the 5 years I have had it. Worked fine yesterday. Jumped in this morning, it "coughed" once and just spins on the starter motor without firing. Fitted new Spark Plugs ( although there was a spark on each of the old plugs) and could see and smell petrol on the tips of the removed plugs. Weather is mild and Battery is still OK despite cranking the engine several times. I have tried the spare key on the off chance it was a key fob fault - no luck with spare key either. If there is spark and fuel how can it NOT fire???

As garages are shut until next week, any ideas would be very welcome.

This 1996 2.0i petrol unit has never failed me in the 5 years I have had it. Worked fine yesterday. Jumped in this morning, it "coughed" once and just spins on the starter motor without firing. Fitted new Spark Plugs ( although there was a spark on each of the old plugs) and could see and smell petrol on the tips of the removed plugs. Weather is mild and battery is still OK despite cranking the engine several times. I have tried the spare key on the off chance it was a key fob fault - no luck with spare key either. If there is spark and fuel how can it NOT fire???

As garages are shut until next week, any ideas would be very welcome.

Hi Adrian1952 and welcome to the forum on what must be the worst day to breakdown.....

cos I've just had my number 2 RAV conk out!! Its just out of the garage and I'm 'shaking'the car down following the major works. Mine is an electrical fault somewhere - most likely a wire shaken loose but I'm just away out to recover the car from half a mile down the road :lol: :lol:

I'll tell you what it is if I find it!

Dampness on the leads might be one thing given the warm damp weather we are having --- or have you an immobiliser thats set off?

Thanks for the suggestion and the Welcome.

The alarm system was removed 2 or 3 years ago (black box was bolted to the bulkhead) when it went horribly wrong and i could not afford the replacement. I have no idea if the immobiliser is part of that. I do not use a Battery operated key fob as there is no point really.

The HT leads looked fine i.e. dry, when I changed the plugs. The leads are about 6 months old. I have never had any problems with dampness, driving through water etc, etc, it has always kept going.

Luckily the wifes Mazda MX5 is running OK!!

Good luck with yours and Merry Christmas

Welcome to the club.

Leave a plug out and just spin it over. It should really blast air out of the plug hole. If it doesn't, try to determin if the cam belt has broken. If it has, whatever you do, don't turn the cam manually as the valves could contact the pistons. If it has broke and the cam is in the right place, you might have got away with it. If not, the damage is already done.

Thanks for the advice. Have also cleaned Battery terminals and charged Battery - although it was turning the engine over OK.

Took out No.4 plug and spun it over. Good pulses of air from plug hole and a big regular spark on the plug (attached to No. 4 lead). I conclude that the cam belt is OK and the HT system is OK and the piston is going up and down!!!

The engine seems to try to catch but never fires. As there is a spark and there is a smell of fuel I can only conclude that either the timing has gone horribly wrong (but how??) or there is too much or too little fuel which perhaps more probable?? As I had filled the tank with petrol at my regular garage a week ago and have driven perhaps 50 miles since I doubt that it is a problem with the petrol itself.

Any more ideas gratefully received.

Happy Boxing Day!!

Pull the plug leads partly off but close enough that you can hear the spark jumping from the lead to the plug. Then put your foot to the floor and spin it over. See if it attempts to go. If it has a better try at starting look at the air filter to see it is clean and if the plugs haven't been changed for a while put some in. I don't think there is too much wrong and that should be the first thing you try.

Don't think it would be the cause, but check the resistance between the engine block and the ground side of the Battery - the earth connection lead can corrode.

Can you read any fault codes?

Are the plugs wet when you take them out?

Take all the plugs out and spin the engine. This will blow any surplus fuel out.

Replace the plugs and leads. You might want to wam them slightly for a few minutes first. Not too much as they could expand and not got in properly.

Gently put the accelerator right to the floor wait a few seconds and then with the accelerator still down try the ignition in SHORT bursts.

When the car tries to fire lift your foot.

It will go eventually.

Other things to check are

clean air intake filter.

Salt on leads.

Good earthing.

One other thing to try is a Battery booster alongside your Battery. If it's a little low then that might be the problem. Cold weather can bring out duff Battery problems.

Is the exhaust intact. I had a similar problem on a car which was due to a blown exhaust.

Hope this helps

Enjoy what's left of Christmas.

Hope this helps.

you did fill up with petrol and no diesel? OK - had to ask!!

There is some history of the pump failing but depends on the mileage. What mileage has the car done?

even if the timing was out of whack, it should still run -albeit very roughly.

Spark, fuel and compression, that's all an engine needs - so if you're sure about the spark and compression I'd look for a fuel related issue.

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the advice - all very relevant and useful. The good news is that it is RUNNING again!!!

I think a combination of events and a lack of basic maintenance was to blame!!

I think that with the cold damp weather and the poor condition of the spark plugs I flooded the engine trying to start it. On a cold engine and as it is parked outside repeated attempts just added fuel to the cylinders.

I replaced the spark plugs, checked for a spark, cleaned the Battery terminals and charged it for a few hours. Checked the block to Battery resistance was OK (less than 0.01 ohms). Checked all the leads, tightness of fuel connections etc.

The air filter is dirty but does not seem to make any difference whether it is in the air intake or not - a replacement will be made however.

This morning, despite sub zero temperatures, I started it with foot to the floor. After about 5 seconds it coughed and fired. After 30 seconds it was idling nicely at about 2000rpm. Now idling after warming up at 750 RPM. Runs OK at speed and no apparent problems.

Again, thanks to you all who took their time during the Christmas festivities to offer advice. The lesson being look for the basic things first rather than look for the complicated stuff and do the maintenance!!

Thanks for all the advice - all very relevant and useful. The good news is that it is RUNNING again!!!

I think that with the cold damp weather and the poor condition of the spark plugs I flooded the engine trying to start it. On a cold engine and as it is parked outside repeated attempts just added fuel to the cylinders.

I replaced the spark plugs, checked for a spark, cleaned the battery terminals and charged it for a few hours. Checked the block to battery resistance was OK (less than 0.01 ohms). Checked all the leads, tightness of fuel connections etc.

The air filter is dirty but does not seem to make any difference whether it is in the air intake or not - a replacement will be made however.

This morning, despite sub zero temperatures, I started it with foot to the floor. After about 5 seconds it coughed and fired. After 30 seconds it was idling nicely at about 2000rpm. Now idling after warming up at 750 RPM. Runs OK at speed and no apparent problems.

Again, thanks to you all who took their time during the Christmas festivities to offer advice. The lesson being look for the basic things first rather than look for the complicated stuff and do the maintenance!!

well done!! Must admit I've not ventured outside at all for 3 days!!!! Well, maybe just 2! I got my new headlights wired up on Christmas Eve and they seem to be working ok but still have to check alignment. Number 2 RAV is lying in the driveway waiting for some help, but the frosts not lifted at all today and my feeble body isn't for going out! Maybe tomorrow?? :lol:

Best advice I ever had in relation to engine problems was

"always start with the cheap stuff"

Toyotas that I've had, when they start misbehaving, it's more often than not a bad connection or something pretty trivial.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links