Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Fix For Brake Squeal ?

balli hi

Had mine done on Friday.... and so far... so good!

Not heard of any new bulletins for the brake squeal but if the tech has spoken too technical then they may have advised to try something new.

If this is the case then a bulletin maybe on its way soon.

We usually cure the squeal by fitting anti squeal shims (thin sticky rubber pads) and refitting the pads using the Toyota grease (very thick white grease - almost looks like toothpaste! lol) Not had many that have had to return.

Mart.

Hi Mart

Thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

The remedy you describe fits exactly with what i could see when i got my car back last time, with the thick white grease e.c.t, they also changed my disks & pads, all round.

Whilst its great that i am getting new brake parts for free :) the squeal & graunch return every time,

As said, its intermittent at present , so i am going to live with it untill such time that it becomes a lot worse, and then i will contact my dealer and go from there, hopefully in the meantime details of the new fix will emerge.

I've had exactly the same problems.

Took my car in on wednesday again, as the squeals got really bad again!!

And now i'm being told that its something to do with the ABS???? :huh:

Lol i don't know what to think now..

Not heard of any new bulletins for the brake squeal but if the tech has spoken too technical then they may have advised to try something new.

If this is the case then a bulletin maybe on its way soon.

We usually cure the squeal by fitting anti squeal shims (thin sticky rubber pads) and refitting the pads using the Toyota grease (very thick white grease - almost looks like toothpaste! lol) Not had many that have had to return.

Mart.

Hi Mart

Thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

The remedy you describe fits exactly with what i could see when i got my car back last time, with the thick white grease e.c.t, they also changed my disks & pads, all round.

Whilst its great that i am getting new brake parts for free :) the squeal & graunch return every time,

As said, its intermittent at present , so i am going to live with it untill such time that it becomes a lot worse, and then i will contact my dealer and go from there, hopefully in the meantime details of the new fix will emerge.

I've had exactly the same problems.

Took my car in on wednesday again, as the squeals got really bad again!!

And now i'm being told that its something to do with the ABS???? :huh:

Lol i don't know what to think now..

Hi

I'm certainly no technician, but the ABS ? . I can't see it myself, first and formost you should find out from them if they have fitted the latest fix to your car, and if not, you should request it, my guess is that you still have the old fix.

I'm certainly not saying however that the new fix will definately cure it, because it is still in its infancy and i'm sure that we will know in the fullness of time for sure, but i will add that the early signs for me are encouraging, so as said, fingers crossed :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys,

Just an update.

Its been 3 weeks now since the new mods were carried out, and so far all is very quite, so fingers crossed i hope Toyota have cracked it this time. :thumbsup:

I will further update at the end of March.

I promised to update at the end of march, ( not sure anyones interested anymore :lol: ) anyway, six weeks on and not a peep, the brakes are oh sooooooo quiet, its looking good , so if any one is still suffering brake squeal issues i suggest they get their car booked in for the new fix :thumbsup:

Mines still squeal free since March 8th too! Looks like Toyota may have sorted this niggle.... now to sort the rest! ;)

• 8 months later...

After 9000 km my brakes started to squeal when going to stop from low speed.

Also, after applying brakes to stop, if I start moving and turning the wheel, for a moment, I can hear squeal again. Is this normal?

I can hear squeal. Is this normal?

Welcome mate!

Do you hear squeals from any other cars except 15+ years old? I don't... So it is NOT normal!

But still, I hear squealing from my Auris all the time too. Toyota is denying the squeals as "they cannot see/hear the fault while test driving the car. Maybe we should go and drive together some time... :rolleyes:

Best regards, Alex

After 9000 km my brakes started to squeal when going to stop from low speed.

Also, after applying brakes to stop, if I start moving and turning the wheel, for a moment, I can hear squeal again. Is this normal?

In my oppinion brakes should not squeal , so no its not normal , as said though the new fix has certainly resolved my brake squeal issues as my car is still squeal free , so do yourself a favour and get your car booked in with Mr T :thumbsup:

Thanks for your advices.

As there is no good Mr. T in my town, I will wait for 3 months until first regular service.

I called the service, ant they told me that on my Auris are installed old pads, i think Bosch or something like it, that are not used anymore on new cars. They told me that replacing old pads with new quiet ones should resolve my issue, and change is free of charge.

What is most important for me, they told me that braking performance is not affected by this squeal.

Only thing that worries me a little is squeal when turning the wheel at low speeds after applying the brake, but I assume that this is due to braking pads re-positioning after braking.

I will see if after 2000 km it will disappear, as pads will be further worn out.

Thanks for your advices.

As there is no good Mr. T in my town, I will wait for 3 months until first regular service.

I called the service, ant they told me that on my Auris are installed old pads, i think BOSCH or something like it, that are not used anymore on new cars. They told me that replacing old pads with new quiet ones should resolve my issue, and change is free of charge.

What is most important for me, they told me that braking performance is not affected by this squeal.

Only thing that worries me a little is squeal when turning the wheel at low speeds after applying the brake, but I assume that this is due to braking pads re-positioning after braking.

I will see if after 2000 km it will disappear, as pads will be further worn out.

Hi , its not just new pads that they should be fitting its ..... caliper piston plate is removed, new metal pad shims are fitted and smeared with the thick Toyota grease on both sides and new pads with a wider groove and different profile/shape are fitted.

So request that they do it right , RIGHT :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links