Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlamp Misting Up

djlrsh

I have a Toyota Avensis and recently the inside of the headlamp has misted up. How can I sort this.

hello mate

how could this be originated? probably due to a sharp cooling/washing during heating of the glass at sunny day like mine before.

i have dried it by means of a hair drier fan (Rowenta ) as well as switched ON the main head lamp to heat the glass from inside.

No all is OK

wait for another posts, if any on here

Cheers/Igor

I have a Toyota Avensis and recently the inside of the headlamp has misted up. How can I sort this.

Try leaving the cover off the rear of the lamp for a day or two so the condensation can escape, when the lights are on the heat from the bulbs should make it evaporate.

Hello

Afraid this is a common problem experienced by many of us, me included. Had them both replaced under warranty....

Depends on the year of the car, but if its pre 2005 or 2006 i think, they had a fault.

for more info, do a search here on the TOC website under " Avensis headlight condensation" and you will see numerous threads and solutions.

Good luck

To djlrish,

Search for tread placed by forum user called Parts-King he explains exactly what causes this problem. This is an old problem & he goes into it in precise detail.

Regards, Beagh.

To djlrish,

Search for tread placed by forum user called Parts-King he explains exactly what causes this problem. This is an old problem & he goes into it in precise detail.

Regards, Beagh.

done a search, but cant find it!!?? :angry:

To djlrsh & f891roy.

From experience, early model headlamps are just plain rubbish, particulary on dipped beam your main running lights (later models may have been rectified) the bulb connections melt & if i remember posting correctly you also have a sealing problem with rear access cover to dipped beam bulbs. Most early models should have had lights replaced under warranty, but i know many owners who still have the same problem. Depending on age of your car i would return your cars to Toyota, this being a well known fault right from the start.

Regards, Beagh.

You don't say what year your motor is so I'll assume its the new shape one.

Yes,a known fault.Mines a 03 D4D and I had the same problem.On the headlights the seals are dodgy and they let in water,then eventually the bulbs start arking which melts the bulb holders making replacing the bulb impossible.

Toyota are aware of this so if your car is less than 5 years old and has done less than a 100k,Toyota will give your car two new eyes for diddly squat,they extended the warranty for this fault.

Otherwise its 150 squid per light plus labor!

Hey, how would i go about requesting the new lights? are all dealers aware of the issue, and accept the replacement for free? What other work can be squeezed out of toyota for known faults?

Regards

Hello

Afraid this is a common problem experienced by many of us, me included. Had them both replaced under warranty....

Depends on the year of the car, but if its pre 2005 or 2006 i think, they had a fault.

for more info, do a search here on the TOC website under " Avensis headlight condensation" and you will see numerous threads and solutions.

Good luck

I have the same problem on a 55 Avensis T Spirit - rang Mr T today and he says YES to new headlights so booked in for Friday for new eyes to be fitted. It's a known fault apparently - if the car is under 5 years and under 100k then they fit them free. Try your local T garage with your reg number and they will check if the car is applicable.

Hi i gave my car in for servicing today, asked about the headlamps and was told that they would only be replaced if the mist does not clear within 10 minutes of the lights coming on! Guy said he would have a look at it during the service- i informed him the beam was not very good when driviing on the motorway- will see what he comes back with tomorrow.

What dealer did you take it to Zman?

Hi i gave my car in for servicing today, asked about the headlamps and was told that they would only be replaced if the mist does not clear within 10 minutes of the lights coming on! Guy said he would have a look at it during the service- i informed him the beam was not very good when driviing on the motorway- will see what he comes back with tomorrow.

10 minutes to clear?! Ridiculous!

Tell him that you as a consumer are not happy, and are fully aware of the fault as per this website and Toyotas own admission of the problem! Your car either does or does not qualify under the age/mileage limits in place on the extended warranty as mentioned on the threads on this site.

None of this "clearing up in 10 minutes". Put your foot down! My local Toyota dealer tried telling me that I had been in a shunt as they reckoned their was a hairline crack in the lense letting in moisture! (of course this was not the case) and once I pointed out the known problem as admitted by Toyota HQ, they sorted it double quick.

As for the beam not very good, well they were never brilliant in the first place! Of course the inside of the lamp may have gotten "dirty" from the amount of misting and subsequent dried up residue that is left behind which may have an impact on the amount and quality of the light thrown onto the road. I was not happy with the output so I upgraded my bulbs to Phillips Extreme Power bulbs and they have made a great improvement. Nearly £30 a pair...ouch!!

Let us know what happens!

Hi, cars back, they upgraded the headlamps free of charge, though nothing to show on the service documents. The lamps are done, they are shiny new ones :D

total cost was £225

£113 service

£100 rear brake pads

£4 wiper blade, single

£13 fuel/oil cleaner (they offered it and i thought i would see if i get any benefits- and having just bought the car- would give me some reassurance psychologically if nothing else)

FREE head lamp update/upgrade/fix- as per recall (albeit with some persuation)

FREE 30K ECU update- as per recall

FREE use of courtesy car- insured by them

They did say brakes would be £135, i first argued that this was steep, after which they gave me 15% discount- so down to £115, then on the way down to collect it i called them again to update them of their advertised fixed cost maintanence pricing lol so got it down to £100

Great service overall, Westlands Toyota (Stourbridge) are brilliant and i would use them again!

Their intermediate service was £65 pounds cheaper than the Wolverhampton Charles Clarke Toyota who did not inform me of any ECU update, and was 25 pounds cheaper than Stafford Toyota, very competatively priced.

Whilst we are on the topic of recalls, are there any others which i should be made aware of, is the steering wheel issue still an issue? (i dont presume parts have started healing), will my 55 avensis 2.2 on 30K have had it done? or is it best checking with previous dealers from service record?

Two shiny new eyes fitted today FOC - Gordon Lambs Toyota Chesterfield.

Lights do seem brighter - possibly lens misted caused degraded but will upgrade bulbs to Philips Extreme bulbs as well I think - good prices on eBay.

Zman- have you had any other work done on ur avensis?

Flyamo

no nothing else has been done to the car - other than - I noticed today that the sidelights were out after the headlights had been replaced. Strange however both sidelight bulbs had gone, new ones fitted and they are now fine.

Spooky or coincidence? Time will tell.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, this is my first time for this site. I also own Toyota Avensis 04 and my headlamp misted up as well. I bought this car from Car Giant in August 2007. I'm afraid I do not have a warranty to replace the new headlight :( . Could you guys please help me what my consumer rights are for getting the headlight replace without incurring costs. My nearest Toyota dealer I'm planning to take is Woodford in Essex. I would appreciate if you can help me.

Hi, this is my first time for this site. I also own Toyota Avensis 04 and my headlamp misted up as well. I bought this car from Car Giant in August 2007. I'm afraid I do not have a warranty to replace the new headlight :( . Could you guys please help me what my consumer rights are for getting the headlight replace without incurring costs. My nearest Toyota dealer I'm planning to take is Woodford in Essex. I would appreciate if you can help me.

Hi

Somebody mentioned earlier the Toyota extended warranty on this was for 5 years and less than 100,000 miles. Yrs is a 2004? It may JUST be inside the 5 year cut off depending on date of registration. (Mines an 04, but registerd in June 2004 so mine would still be ok on the 5 year rule)

How about your mileage? I would check with your dealer first. If they are cagey about it, I would contact Toyota HQ Customer Services, speak to them and see if your headlamps will be covered. If its outside the warranty period, they may extend a gesture of goodwill. Maybe knock down the price of a headlamp etc.

Check the Toyota website for their Tel #.

Good luck.

Hi

Somebody mentioned earlier the Toyota extended warranty on this was for 5 years and less than 100,000 miles. Yrs is a 2004? It may JUST be inside the 5 year cut off depending on date of registration. (Mines an 04, but registerd in June 2004 so mine would still be ok on the 5 year rule)

How about your mileage? I would check with your dealer first. If they are cagey about it, I would contact Toyota HQ Customer Services, speak to them and see if your headlamps will be covered. If its outside the warranty period, they may extend a gesture of goodwill. Maybe knock down the price of a headlamp etc.

Check the Toyota website for their Tel #.

Good luck.

Hi,

Thank for the reply, I took my car to my local dealership and now they told me that I got to pay a whopping £600 :angry: !!!!!! That £300 + VAT for the parts and £300 for the labour. I point out that it is a manufacturer faults and that I shouldn't incurred with this outrageous amounts. They both need fully replacement so I'm writing a letter of complaint to Toyota Head Office. In the mean while, I might shop around for the spare part myself and get my local garage to replace it at the cheaper price than those ridiculous £600. I would appreciate if there any guidance you can help me.

• 8 months later...
so what was the out come of you complaint?
Just had two replaced FOC at my local Toyota dealers, I have no complaints at all with the service provided. :thumbsup: my car is just under 3 years old.

Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links